New from Berkshire UK

Discussion in 'Welcome Wagon' started by KelvinS1965, Nov 6, 2019.

1. KelvinS1965

KelvinS1965 New Member

Just to introduce myself as I recently became an SG owner after reading up on this site (and borrowing a friend's SG over the summer :smile:). I thought I'd better join the forum. :cheers:

I bought a 'secondhand' 2018 SG Standard in Cherry...it still had the film on the pickguard, so I figure 'secondhand' was more 'ex-display'. In any case I felt it was a good deal and worth trading in an excess Telecaster for.

I've already made some changes, just some eBay/Amazon plastic part to change to reflector style knobs, white switch tip and a blank truss rod cover. I also fitted the 'poker chip' that was in the case candy bag.

Since I guess you'll like photos as much as the other guitar forums I frequent, then here it is with the changes:
    SG on chase 61 mode.jpg

I like to play it through my Marshall Mini Jubilee, but it sounds good into my Fender '64 Custom Deluxe too, if I want rich clean tones:
    SG 61 & MJ.jpg

Last edited: Nov 6, 2019
  2. arcticsg

arcticsg Well-Known Member

Welcome to the board! [​IMG]

And congratulations on your new SG. She's a real beauty! [​IMG]

Also, nice mods, I done the same. A big improvement in the looks department on the 2017-18 Standards ;)

KelvinS1965 likes this.
  3. donepearce

donepearce Well-Known Member

London, helping a friend design a knitting machine
    Welcome. Berkshire is a big county - where are you? I worked in Reading for a few years, not far from the Madejski Stadium.

KelvinS1965 likes this.
  4. KelvinS1965

KelvinS1965 New Member

I'm nearer to Wokingham, but not too far to Madejski Stadium. :smile:

I like the look of the '61 Standard (I know it's not a true historic model, just prefer the cosmetics), so I followed that spec. The parts were only £11, so not a costly mod. :cool:

The friend that lent me his SG Tribute this summer has now traded it in for a 2019 SG Standard in Ebony. His must be the early 2019 model as it has a slim taper neck, though seems slightly thicker than mine. Hopefully we'll be playing a gig next month as a matching pair. :dude:

Seems a churlish thing to criticise, but I don't like the flimsy feel of the pots: I have previously re-wired my Epiphone Les Paul with CTS pots and orange drop caps, so I think I might take the PCB out of mine and re-wire it. I might change the neck cap to 0.015uF as well as it gives a gentler roll off of the tone.

This was my Epiphone Les Paul after I re-wired it (also fitted Bareknuckle Mule pick ups, hence the black covered pickup wiring):
    Control panel after.jpg

Last edited: Nov 6, 2019
  5. chilipeppermaniac

chilipeppermaniac Well-Known Member

Welcome and enjoy your new SG

KelvinS1965 likes this.
  6. HackeIommi

HackeIommi Active Member

Nice piece sir! Wellcome aboard!!

KelvinS1965 likes this.
  7. KelvinS1965

KelvinS1965 New Member

Did a small amount of work on the nut slots this morning, then gave it a thorough clean/fret oil & polish, then re-strung it with my regular EB Slinkies (wasn't so keen on the Rotosound ones I put on a few weeks back). It's so easy with the locking tuners.

Properly stretched and then tuned up...stays perfectly in tune while I played through next Saturday's set list. Sounds killer through the Marshall MJ that I'll be using for the gig. :dude:

After the gig I'm going to remove the PCB, fit standard 500K audio taper CTS pots and put a 0.015uF cap on the neck tone control: The PCB pots feel very flimsy and the tone control is either on or off, especially the neck. Haven't decided if I'll cut the wiring for the 61T and 61R pickups, or whether to fit a set of DiMarzio 36th Anniversary pickups instead.

I already have the neck pick up from the Telecaster I traded in to buy this SG, so it would cost me another £70 or so for the matching bridge pickup. That way I could remove the original electrics complete incase for some (unforseen) reason I wanted to put it back to original spec.