New from New Zealand

Discussion in 'Welcome Wagon' started by Spiral, Oct 28, 2019.

1. Spiral

Spiral Member

Hi guys,

I don't currently own an SG, but have had four. First was a 2010 '61 Reissue USA, '87 Standard, 2013 Standard, and the last was a Wildwood Spec '61 Reissue Custom Shop.

I'm looking for a P90 SG next, having never played one. I like fatter necks, so I was interested in the new '64 Reissue Standards, but I'm unsure about having a trem, and the current exchange rate from USD to NZD makes them around 8k landed. So I'd like to find a cheaper P90 equipped SG.

At the moment I'm looking at Custom Shop Specials - I'm not sure when they were made, but I'm noticing a '05-'09 timeframe? Any older '61 to '69 Specials I would be interested in also.

Anyway, hoping to find a new forum to enjoy and hopefully even buy some guitars from.

2. papagayo

papagayo Well-Known Member

Welcome !

arcticsg, ventura and Spiral like this.
  3. HackeIommi

HackeIommi Active Member

Welcome to the Madhouse! SG is an incurable illness. For 7 years, I didn't use an SG, couldn't find one which suits me. Seven years later, I found my salvation, repented and registered here. I am sure you also will find your soulSG.

:cheers:

arcticsg and ventura like this.
  4. arcticsg

arcticsg Well-Known Member

Welcome aboard! [​IMG]

ventura likes this.
  5. ventura

ventura Member

Welcome!:dude:

05-09 Historic’s are great, I have an R8 and R7JR.

The new ‘19 Gibson SG’s harken back to the 60’s in a good way. I think they rival the 2000’s Customs for build, even if they aren’t totally period correct.

This SG ain’t no Louisville Slugger but it has respectable girth in the neck. More than my P-90 Special.
    AC9BF253-5BCD-44AA-9163-70D65E47A0AA.jpeg 3D742F51-EB2D-46CE-9800-933E9FA22490.jpeg E03F1E59-3381-49BB-845A-DED344A22004.jpeg
    And I did a thread on my SG Special here-
    http://www.everythingsg.com/threads...ecial-limited-edition-p-90.36190/#post-527909

arcticsg and DanB like this.
  6. cerebral gasket

cerebral gasket Well-Known Member

Welcome!

SG Classic = Fat neck SG with P-90's.

[​IMG]

arcticsg and ventura like this.
  7. Spiral

Spiral Member

They weren't love at first sight for me. I'm a massive Black Sabbath fan, and I thought they looked a bit corny at first (only because I thought the cutaways were intentionally made to look like devils horns), watching old tapes of Iommi in action - then I saw one hanging up in a local shop, and in the flesh I had a different perspective, and when I played one...it was all over. They're now my favourite guitar, and by a big margin.
    Thanking you :h5:
    They do look cool, that's for sure. I like that they brought back both the sideways and maestro verbal. I love the '64 specs, but I'm a little shy of the potential tuning instability - although some folks say they're fine, if set up well.

Your Junior looks immaculate man.

Your black one flicks my switch, CG. I've never had a bigger guard one. I wasn't familiar with SG Classics until a couple of weeks ago, when I saw the guy from Los Lobos playing one. They look and sound like what I'm after - and cheaper than the Made-to-Measure quote I got for something similar.

Thought I'd post some pics of my previous ones:

'61 RI:
    [​IMG]

'87 Standard:
    [​IMG]

2013 Standard on the right, next to the '87. It had SD Whole Lotta Humbuckers in there. I added the Trucks tailpiece:
    [​IMG]

Recently sold this Wildwood Spec '61 Reissue:

[​IMG]

8. DanB

DanB Active Member

Welcome to the SG Forum!

arcticsg likes this.
  9. HackeIommi

HackeIommi Active Member

You know the taste of the faith, you know Iommi as your Messiah, (all in a musical sense, I am not trying to ridicule anyone's faith. God forbid!!) you baptized by Black Sabbath sound. You already saved brother!! All you need is a suitable bride now.