new Gibson model?

Discussion in 'Other Guitars' started by Strange Brew, Nov 18, 2012.

1. GTSG

GTSG Active Member

New take on a 80s Gibson. I haven't seen the OP Gibson to date.

2. javamagic

javamagic Well-Known Member

I'm beginning to suspect vested interests on the part of a certain member.

3. PeteR

PeteR Active Member

NOOOOOOOOOOO :naughty:

I just ask for fun..... [​IMG]

though it seems i wont get this damnd link [​IMG]

4. sgtbeefheart

sgtbeefheart Well-Known Member

Not too keen on that, reminds me of a Burns.

5. Relic61

Relic61 Well-Known Member

I did come up with a page that wouldnt load a picture and it is for a new Gibson Nighthawk 225 being advertised on Sears by Same Day Music. It's all just so wierd.

Here's the link..Gibson Gibson N-225 Nighthawk Electric Guitar - Toys & Games - Musical Instruments & Toys - Guitars

Maybe somebody can figure something out from here. I searched all I care to on Google & Bing and all that really comes up is that Sears page & our own forum page right here. Is it a joke? Maybe not. Only time will tell unless somebody comes clean or comes up with better confirmation than what we got so far.

6. PeteR

PeteR Active Member

that's what my google-search got me, too

7. Strange Brew

Strange Brew Well-Known Member

8. GTSG

GTSG Active Member

In other words.........your on your own. lol

9. PeteR

PeteR Active Member

Thanks,

I highly doubt it actually is a real Custom-Shop model - not at MSRP 2332USD

Me thinks it is similar to the Classic Custom LPs or the Midtown Custom

and to preorder a Gibson-US model directly is new to me :hmm:

Meanwhile I've contacted some trustworthy people working at Gibson...

10. CATMANDUE

CATMANDUE Well-Known Member

I agree! I like Burns better. I like the classic shape of an SG when they start messing with it, it turns into a knockoff.

11. tolm

tolm Active Member

See, this is what I don't get: they own the Kramer brand so why not put all the modern fancy sh!t on some modern fancy sh!t shaped guitars, brand them Kramer and stop f'ing around with the vintage legacy brands?!!

12. PeteR

PeteR Active Member

If Gibson wasn't so futuristic back in the end 50s...

we would not have the 'classic' models by now...

:wave:

13. Relic61

If it can be ordered right now where can you order it or see it for sale with a picture & description? The B^#$!T link I found on Sears site by Same day music gives no picture or any information about the guitar. A search of Same Day Musics site came up with absolutely nothing.

Has anybody found anything else on this guitar? I do like the split diamond headstock and inlay on the first fret like a Custom. I also like the fret access. I think it looks like a crazy PRS idea myself. I would be curious to try this semi hollowbody out and have always gone for Gibsons quacky ideas that never took hold as can be seen by my owning a Gibson M III, a Les Paul Signature (which looks like a 335 gold top with mini hums & an original era 335 S (solidbody) with early original Dirty Fingers pups.

I also like the Moderne but havent jumped at it for the price. So yah I like the quirky Gibsons & wouldnt mind trying this 225 if it actually exists somewhere. If its a joke it was a nicely done photo anyway & certainly has captured people interest.

PeteR likes this.
  14. PeteR

PeteR Active Member

:applause::applause::applause:

It will be officially announced at the coming NAMM in January '13

I sure will give it a try at the next Musikmesse in Frankfurt :dude:

15. tolm

tolm Active Member

Touché!

I dunno, I'm trying to be all mad at Gibson and then you swan up with your fancy 'logic' and 'historical accuracy'. :)

16. Relic61

Do you think there will be any more traditional pickup options in lieu of the P-90 neck configuration? I know some people may like a P-90 in the neck but the number of people (like myself) that would find that pickup in the neck position a real deal breaker seems it would warrant at least 2 humbucker option to increase its chances at catching on, unless they really don't plan on it being popular for whatever twisted business logic that compels companies to walk down the road to failure. All that R & D, risk & money dumped into a new drastically different design for Gibson only to deny it a chance to succeed because of an obscure pickup configuration just seems foolish to me.

But then again, we're talking about Gibson. They have been known not to play things safe. From the looks of this guitar, it seems like its about an unsafe, unguarantee-able design as they could come up with at this point in this economic time. I personally don't see this exact version as configured ever staying around & being one of the regulars like the SG, LP or 335.

17. PeteR

PeteR Active Member

Their new designed Midtown series is a Megaseller.....
    (who would have expected this ? )

When I first saw the Midtown Standard with Bigsby I liked it, just don't wanted a Bigsby....some time later the Custom showed up - and I had to have it.

They came in stores 12 months ago - now the Customs are discontinued and nearly sold out....
    Nothing bad with trying something new, IMO

Oh the pickup configuration "bridge HB / neck P90" is much appreciated by Duesenberg-Guitars...:thumb:
    And I already have a bunch of double HB fitted guitars :naughty:

I hope it comes without a trem, too

if it will be in the price-range of the Midtowns - I'll probably get a hard GAS attack

18. dbb

dbb Well-Known Member

As you mention there are a few guitars now with the "bridge HB / neck P90"
    configuration. Lots of folks like them... Kevy, I think, has a guitar set up that way.

OK, on a Tele I like the original SC standard Tele bridge pickup/bridge assembly, and a humbucker or even better a P90 in the neck.

But for other things, I would like a hot P90 in the bridge and a humbucker in the neck. This would work for my sound pretty well with a Gibson style guitar, exaggerating the tonal difference between pickup locations.

Maybe!

19. Relic61

Dave, If I may broker some understanding towards Tolm's comment as this all seems to be because of my asking him to tell me how he feels about his 57+ in his SG compared to his 57 Classic in his 335. I believe he was trying to convey why he preferred the 57+ in his SG & that he feels a 335 is sounds right to him with the smoother 57 classic without the (+).

Although people can squeeze a variable palate of sounds from both, the stereotypical expectation of an SG leans towards Rock N Roll as the 335 is rarely associated with a heavy Black Sabbath sound, but, like you mentioned, certain SG's can have & have been recorded with a fantastic sweet tone to them just as some 335 have blown the minds & expectations of others with a surprising raucous rockin tone. Tolm just likes his SG to be the edgy ass kicker while being a little more intense than his 335 which he wants to have a more refined tone befitting of its image & lineage. Thats why he likes the 57+ in his SG & the 57 Classic in the 335.

It's about his pickup selection meeting his expectations for his guitars. I think he choose smartly & found what he wanted to bring out in his SG & his 335, one with the 57+, one without. Although these two guitars are capable of a wide variation in tones, I also believe the SG has been stereotyped as a rock n roll guitar due to well knowns like Tony Iommi & Angus rockin them for decades. It is also fair for someone to associate the semi hollow-bodied 335 as being used for a more mellow or even jazz tone. Although there are exceptions, I don't think that is too crazy of an opinion about each guitar given the history of famous musicians who inturn made these guitars famous and thus, forever associated these instruments with the music they consistently created.

Col Mustard and dbb like this.
  20. Relic61

Here's my only problem with the awesome sounding P 90. Although I love that round, full snappy tone of a P 90, I just fatigue from the hum they throw into the equation. I know you can do different things to minimize the hum effect but I always have found myself supremely annoyed by that hum after the initial 'lovin the tone' happiness wains and the hum eventually wears me down to a crabby cursing angry guitarist instead of being a happy musician.

Sure I could deal with a P-90 for several songs in a row but after that, I'm done. Having to ride a volume knob, use a gate or anything else, just adds up to one more thing that gets in the way of being happy as possible and enjoying myself while I'm playing. Hum just pisses me off just as much as dealing with hum pisses me off. All that goes away when the P 90 goes away. Problem solved. That has always ended up being the solution for me with P-90s despite my love for that tone.

So by this guitar possibly only being offered with a P 90 / humbucker configuration, Gibson has lost me & people like me who feel the same way about P 90s as potential buyers. Lost a potential buyer who is actually interested in the new design & somebody who also spends very real money in rough economic times & still buys several guitars a year. That is just bad business.

Gibson has to know there are a lot of serious players who will not buy a P-90 equipped guitar because of unacceptable stage hum. That hum isn't a new problem and was the reason the humbucker was needed and developed in the first place. Sure we can use a noise gate but now we have added another box between our guitar signal & our amps as well as some like me personally not liking what a gate does to my sound & natural note decay. Like I said, get rid of the P-90 & you got rid of the problem. Why make problems for ourselves wrestling with the hum a P-90 makes? I could never get around that question or solve that problem to pull the trigger on a P-90'd guitar. Damn shame.

Hey I know there are guys out there that just love the P-90s and for them nothing beats them. Those guys will put up with whatever and do whatever needs to be done to get around that hum. I just ain't one of those guys and, I know I'm not alone on this. I have enough to deal with when I play out and don't need to add hum to the list $#! to worry about. Most my guitar playin buds will come clean and admit they have the same issue I do with a P-90 with some being more reluctant to confess even though I've seen them personally frustrated & aggravated between songs or in quite parts where that hum just stands out and sounds so tacky.

So why, why why why would Gibson take players & buyers like me and instantly loose us as a possible sale due to that P-90 when a simple humbucker pickup change or option could increase overall sales in a significant way? AHH my love hate thang with Gibson continues....