New (Incoming) Amp Day! MIC Peavey Bandit 112

Discussion in 'Amps & Cabs' started by Clifdawg, Oct 25, 2016.

1. Clifdawg

Clifdawg Well-Known Member

Just pulled the trigger for a used "Cyclops" Bandit 112 for peanuts - A Guitar Center in Omaha, Nebraska, listed it $130 - $165 total after shipping and taxes! I know the MIC's aren't as well-loved as the MIA's, especially since Peavey as a company used to really push for "made-in-USA" before going back on their own values. But the new Chinese amps do have a few features worth noting - particularly the "Warm" clean channel voice, the speaker-cab emulated out, and (most importantly) a footswitchable 10db clean power boost - a Godsend for live applications. Doesn't hurt that I prefer the utilitarian look of these and the "silver stripes" to the plasticky looks of the "red stripes." Oh, and this will be the first Peavey Bandit I will have ever played (... yes, really).

[​IMG]

Of course, for that little dough, I plan on getting an inexpensive multi-effects pedal to throw in the loop for chorus, tremolo, and delay duties.

More importantly, though, when I finally sell my Fender Mustang IV, I'm definitely going to look at swapping speakers. Less expensive options include the Eminence Legend or Texas Heat or the Celestion Seventy 80. I'm also halfway considering leaving the stock one in and trying my hand at building my own cab with a 15" Celestion Fullback. I can only imagine the meatiness of that classic Peavey crunch through a massive speaker... Any thoughts on what might be best?

Dave_Death and eS.G. like this.
  2. frankd

frankd Well-Known Member

Congrats hope it works out well for you.

3. Westernrider

Westernrider Active Member

Hope it works out for you. The Bandit is a Great ss amp.

4. Dave_Death

Dave_Death Well-Known Member

Don't pay too much for a Seventy 80. They can be found cheap because a lot of people hate them

Eminence make some good speakers. I had a Wizard in a Classic 30 and that seemed to work okay. Very loud too

5. NitroSG

NitroSG Member

Congrats! I have a Bandit 112, MIA, silver stripe early 90's solo series with a Scorpion speaker. I almost don't want to sell it, it's a killer SS amp! The transtube tech I thought was just a gimmic but it's got a lot of feel to it.

6. eS.G.

eS.G. Well-Known Member

Very fucking cool

7. ScottMarlowe

ScottMarlowe Well-Known Member

If I had to sell all but one amp, it'd be a toss-up between my Red Stripe Bandit and my 2x12 C-50.

8. Clifdawg

Well, it came! Arrived at my local GC today, which closed at 9 PM. Got off work at 8:45 and maybe got a little cavalier with the speed limit and arrived right at 8:59 to see the guy locking up. Fortunately, my GC is mostly made up of genuinely nice, helpful, and knowledgeable folks, so they did me a solid favor and fired up the computer and got me my amp. Kudos to them - it's not often I get to praise big-box chains. :smile:

So, first, my one and only disappointment - this was a hardly a downsize. I went down a whole 12" speaker, but this thing literally shaves about an inch off of each side of the dimensions of my Fender Mustang IV. It also is quite possibly even heavier, no doubt owing to the obviously ultra-solid construction. At least Peavey's move to Chinese construction hasn't resulted in any obvious corner-cutting in build quality.

[​IMG]

I got a screaming deal on this thing at $165 shipped after tax - it's virtually new, save for a few very minor scuffs on the tolex and a ding or two on the metal corners (character marks, I'd say). Everything functions well, although the input jacks are seriously tight - they require a little fiddling. Not sure if that might result in a bork'd jack one day, but I don't think it's anything fifteen minutes, new jacks, and a soldering iron couldn't fix if it ever does cause a problem.

[​IMG]

Apologies about my post-11-and-a-half-hour-work-day photography skills here. :rofl:

So how does it sound? Well, I didn't get much time to jam, but I'm seriously, seriously impressed. I had been eyeing both solid state and tube medium-gain amplifiers recently, and had thought the Bugera V22 or the Fender Bassbreaker 15 would be the ticket if I couldn't find an acceptable SS substitute. This one sounds pretty promising - it really does sound like an authentic tube amp, and that's not just bias. My Mustang sounds great, but it always sounds like a reproduction, albeit a high-fidelity reproduction, of the real thing (though I do have some settings that are pretty convincing). This, at stage volume, would likely be completely indistinguishable from a tube amp, and a very close approximation at bedroom volumes.

The cleans are super-clean. The "Vintage" and "Classic" modes are pretty subtle EQ shifts, but "Warm" is much hotter and reminds me a lot of the Orange CR60c clean channel, which I like. Very mid-pushed. The lead channel goes all the way from gentle overdrive to crushing metal tones. One tone I was able to dial in that really impressed me was using the low-gain jack, swapping to the "high-gain" voice, backing off the pre-gain to about 9 o'clock, and leaving the EQ fairly flat (maybe boosting the highs a bit). No joke - sounds like a semi-cranked Bluesbreaker! Lots of warm mids, with this nice asymmetrical crunch made of both hard and soft clips - just a dash of fuzzy distortion on a hard pick attack that slowly gives way to a nice, creamy, smooth sustain. It's a sound that definitely, objectively gives cheaper tube amps a run for their money. I'll record some video tomorrow if I get the chance.

Anyway, time will tell if the honeymoon will last, but I can definitely say that this is by far the best-sounding analog solid-state amp I've ever played with. If the stigma about the new ones being made in China is warranted, then the red-stripes must be some truly incredible amps. I believe with a speaker swap, this could fool even the most discerning tube afficionado (provided, of course, I don't use the "modern" setting on the lead channel - it's just total scoopage and fizz). :dude:

eS.G. and ScottMarlowe like this.
  9. ScottMarlowe

Welcome to Club Bandit!

Clifdawg likes this.
  10. Dave_Death

Pretty much all of the Red Stripes I've seen are made in China. I think the speaker might be different though.

The silver stripe and earlier are all made in USA. I've never had a silver stripe but I had a teal stripe. Silver stripe (and later) is better in that it has an external speaker jack.

I think silver stripes came with a reverb tank. I know my teal stripe did. Red stripes might have a digital reverb effect

Clifdawg likes this.
  11. Clifdawg

Some research turned up some information about the red stripe amps earlier... IIRC, there are those with the "block" logo that say "designed and made in USA" on the front panel, those with the classic Peavey logo that simply say "designed in USA," and even a few with the block logo that only say "designed in USA." From what I understand, these amps are virtually identical save for nation of origin, but the "Designed and made in USA" models have the better Peavey-made Sheffield speaker.

12. Dave_Death

I've lately mainly seen the block logo and pointy logo 'designed in USA' and no 'designed and made in USA' for sale, so I don't think they were made in the USA for very long after the red stripe appeared.

13. Clifdawg

Update: beat my wife home from work today, so I got maybe ten minutes (as much time as I could stand) to actually crank this thing. Admittedly, I was in my basement, which is almost completely underground, so I wouldn't annoy the neighbors, but it doesn't take much volume to achieve wall-shaking, ear-hurting reverberations.

Something really stood out to me - Peavey's Transtube circuitry really does add a bit of compression, sag, and natural distortion, just like an authentic tube section! The "warm" clean voice, around 3-4 o'clock, produces some seriously hairy, plexi-style tones. Of course, this does mean that it doesn't take much preamp gain on the dirty channel to get pretty thick saturation, but the power level switch (25, 50, and 100%) does help attenuate the volume some (though even at 25%, this is one loud son of a gun).

One note though is that, when cranked, this thing is a bit noisy, more so than I remember my Peavey Windsor 100w half-stack being at roughly similar volume levels. I suppose that's normal for a very loud 1x12, and perhaps a more efficient speaker would increase the headroom for noise a bit.

Overall I continue to be impressed with this amp, as it makes tons of great, usable tones at bedroom volumes and some downright phenomenal ones at stage volumes. I'd venture to say it's the best giggable amp, tube or no, under 500 bucks available today, with the only contest being the Orange CR60C if you prefer the more fuzzy, British tone of it over the thicker, tighter American tone of the Bandit... Of course, for bedroom noodling, I'd say nothing beats the tiny-Plexi tone of the incredible tube Fender Bassbreaker 007, but if you need to play live, this is the ticket.

eS.G. likes this.
  14. ScottMarlowe

Yeah very few digital modelling amps seem to get that right like transtube does.

15. eS.G.

eS.G. Well-Known Member

PEAVEY MAKES FVUCKING AWESOME SHITE--- ;)

ScottMarlowe likes this.
  16. Clifdawg

Last one, I promise:

Just a video of some noodling. Peavey amp and SG lust warning! :dude:

sg jones and eS.G. like this.
  17. eS.G.

eS.G. Well-Known Member

that doesnt sound like my noodling...........yours is melodic and clean........mine sounds likes prostitutes being murdered with a black and decker corldess sawz all in an aluminum drainpipe under 15th ave on a thursday during a hail storm ...........or ---- so I have heard.......

18. Clifdawg

The most concerning thing is that you apparently know the difference in tonal quality between this happening on a Thursday as opposed to any other day, given the same conditions. :rofl::rofl::rofl::rofl::rofl:

19. eS.G.

eS.G. Well-Known Member

Ah but the true skill is knowing WHICH 15th ave.!!! ;)

20. Raiyn

Raiyn Well-Known Member

It's always 15th Ave. SOUTH.