New Japanese Tokais VS recent Gibsons

Discussion in 'SG Copies' started by Perverockstar, May 18, 2018 at 4:20 AM.

1. Perverockstar

Perverockstar New Member

Hello to all.

This is my first time in these forums.

I used to own a SG Standard from 2012 that I had to sell because of some financial problems. I freaking loved that guitar and I'm ready to own another one again.

I live in Europe and I've been looking at these Tokais (SG92 and SG118) and they look quite nice. I know the pickups are nothing fantastic, but those can be swapped...

Does any of you how they compare to Gibsons in terms of build and feel? Also, can they sound like the Gibson using the same pickups? They were Classic 57's.

Thank you!

2. PermissionToLand

PermissionToLand Well-Known Member

Well, if you live in Europe you should be able to find them in a shop over there to test out. Us Americans have to just blindly buy from overseas if we want MIJ copies. But really, I've bought many guitars without playing them and all were perfectly able to be set up to my liking, so it's not critical.

To your main question, I think you'd be perfectly happy with either of those Tokais. The 118 is more comparable to your old SG. Some people even say they're better than Gibsons, but they are no doubt at least comparable.

And I wouldn't be so quick to swap the pickups. They're listed as "PAF Vintage MK2". All I can find on them is that they're around 8-9k ohms, not sure what magnet they use. Apparently they are made by different manufacturers, and the ones in the 118 are made by Gotoh, and higher quality. So the mixed reviews may be a result of the cheaper ones put in the 92. I always try to give the stock PUPs a chance before swapping.

But if you were to swap in the 57 Classics, yes, it would sound basically identical to the Gibson, because electric guitar tone is 90% pickups.