New Katana Artist - Broken :(

Discussion in 'Amps & Cabs' started by fos1, Dec 4, 2018.

1. fos1

fos1 New Member

If you saw on another thread i posted to, a Katana 100 Head that I received last week had a broken "Amp Type" knob and would not produce hardly any "clean" audio. I returned it as defective.

Instead of another Head, I purchased a Katana Artist. I felt the better speaker and higher build quality as mentioned in several reviews was significant. Unfortunately, I am disappointed after spending $599.

I received it last night. I played it briefly and then quite a bit more today. I tipped it over onto the carpeted floor to examine the Waza speaker. It looks nice but the size of the magnet is smaller than it looks because of the green plastic cover over the magnet.

However, when I went to set the amp back upright, I used the handle and the upper rear baffle. The baffle broke and came off in my hand. I applied very little pressure, but I guess it was too much! The baffle AND the case are made out of particle board. I would have thought a $600 amp would have been made out of plywood. (see picture below) On the left back where the baffle broke off it is clearly particle board. On the right side that you can see clearly in the photo, the mounting block came off and the frame itself is also particle board.

But, the amp sounds VERY nice. Operating at the full 100 watt level is way to much for my apartment. It has lots of head room. At the 50 watt setting, you can hear things that were inaudible on the Katana 50 that I have had for a month or so. The sound is that good.

The baffle really doesn't matter. I don't think it contributes to the amps sound or function. I thought of just replacing it with glue. The case and baffles are mostly put together with blocks and glue. It has tiny screws but they don't contribute to the structure.

I can return the amp. The break is certainly my fault, partially. But the construction is poor for a "professional" level amplifier.

I expect I will just fit a piece of real plywood to the back of the amp. That should at least give it some structure and support. I will have to use glue and small screws. Any kind of screw with size would fracture the particle board. :(

The amp is very nice. If it ever falls apart completely, it would be worth building or buying a real case.

What are amps made out of today. Is particle board typical? I haven't purchased an amp since the 70s. I believe it was a Crate....

Jeff Katana Artist Broken.JPG

2. GrumpyOldDBA

GrumpyOldDBA Well-Known Member

Hmmm sorry to hear about the break.

But you like it eh? I am seriously thinking of getting one for the basement and eventually making a larger practice space down there. I have a Katana Air upstairs ( well and a couple of other amps I don't use anymore ha ha ).

I will probably sit it out and see what products come out in NAMM 2019 ( big music event ) and then decide.

I would love to see a Katana artist with a dual speaker cab but well the reviews of the artist say the speaker handles the output volume just fine.

fos1 likes this.
  3. fos1

fos1 New Member

I went to Home Depot today and bought a bit of lumber to repair the broken baffle. I am going to use a couple of blocks and two extra screws on each side to hold the blocks in place along with some gorilla glue. I will then screw the replacement baffle to the blocks on each side. After it is patched up, I have some black paint that will match the case. It should be better than new.

It does sound much better than the Katana 20 and so much more volume. Even at the 50 watt setting it is much louder than the K20 with all of the controls set to the same positions. I guess the speaker makes a big difference.

Jeff

GrumpyOldDBA likes this.
  4. DrBGood

DrBGood Well-Known Member

They are two very different amps. One is a bedroom practice amp, the other is gig ready. I should hope it sounds better and louder :facepalm:

5. fos1

fos1 New Member

I finally repaired the Boss Artist this weekend. I used a couple of oak blocks and a 1/2" x 6" x 23 7/8" piece of oak for the upper baffle/brace. It is much more solid than the original piece and slightly bigger. I'll get around to painting it some day.

Jeff Artist Repaired.JPG

PS. It will be hard to break this one....

Last edited: Dec 10, 2018 at 8:15 PM
  6. GrumpyOldDBA

GrumpyOldDBA Well-Known Member

Nah it looks good this way!

fos1 likes this.
  7. DrBGood

DrBGood Well-Known Member

Oak ? Must have added some weight to a previously light amp.

The 100W comes with a wide open back. I closed up mine totally after trying semi opened. It grealy enhanced lower frequencies, I always find lacking in combos. Less boxy tone too. Mine was done with leftover ½" fence cedar planks.

Semi Open Artist like.

Semi open back.jpg

Fully closed, me like :cool:

100% Fermé.JPG

fos1 likes this.
  8. fos1

fos1 New Member

I like your use of cedar. I can always easily modify mine to fully closed. At this point, I don't think the speaker is broken in well.

I doubt the oak added much to the weight. The particle board piece is very heavy. The Artist was over 40 lbs to begin with. A lot for an old guy.

Jeff