New project - hacked up (probably Korean) SG standard with binding

Discussion in 'Epiphone SG' started by Franc, Apr 4, 2020.

1. PixMix

PixMix Well-Known Member

That's a great project! With a solid mahogany (no veneer) body and good pickups, it makes it worth it to not only pursue, but take it seriously. I am looking forward to seeing the progress.

dub-setter likes this.
  2. Von Trapp

Von Trapp Active Member

Looks like a great guitar! But bring out the stripper man or you'll die sanding!

3. DrBGood

DrBGood Well-Known Member

Like he said, this guy can really be of service.

Male-Striper-French-Riviera-2.jpg
    But seriously ... If he's trying to salvage the cherry finish, stripper is not the solution.

4. Franc

Franc Member

Thought about strippers but the GF was against it :naughty:
    No seriously, it doesn't matter if it takes time, I am in no hurry, it is a project to keep me busy in between work and homeschooling the kids.
    I'm currently scraping the sides of the headstock and neck with a razorblade. Carefully stopping when I reach the cherry. Seems to work ok and faster and more accurate than sanding paper to keep the planes flat.

5. DrBGood

Happy to hear that. A little like an art restorer in a museeum or an archeologist with its tiny brush on a dinosaur bone.

It well worth saving as much as possible in my opinion. That model doesn't come around often. But it seem at the time, a local music store must have bought the bulk of them, because for a five month period last year, they kept popping up around here.

http://www.everythingsg.com/threads/bam-bam.36008/

6. Franc

Franc Member

I did follow that thread, but didn't put 2 and 2 together when I saw this one :hmm:
    My obsession with finding "old" Korean SGs started not so long ago.

Back to the pictures. I don't see any seams around the heel or headstock so the neck really must be one piece.

SGturqoise5.JPG
    SGturqoise6.JPG SGturqoise7.JPG

dub-setter likes this.
  7. dub-setter

dub-setter Well-Known Member

nice project....!

seems well build,
    its worth to spend some time on it...

8. Franc

Franc Member

I can tell from the small "swirling" (?) in the original satin finish that whoever painted this, first sanded the guitar with a machine :shock:

9. Von Trapp

Von Trapp Active Member

Well, it's of course up to him but I would personally go for stripper rather than sandpaper, not only because it's easier but also because it's less likely to do damage. A cherry finish can always be stained on again whereas a mistake with sanding would be permanent. Now I haven't tried removing paint and wanting to save finish but if I ever would then I'd assume I couldn't get everything of with sandpaper and also assume that I would not be able to be sure not to sand into the cherry finish, or worse, into the wood. Hence the stripper tip. I would also assume, no matter which road I chose, that I'd have to refinish it.

Perhaps this thread will show me what happens then but if it's going to be sanding all the way, I sure as hell hope I'm wrong.

10. Franc

Franc Member

Von Trapp, I see what you mean and I agree that with sanding there is that risk of sanding through the clear paint and damaging the wood, but firstly I use a sanding block to make sure that I sand in a flat plane. Secondly, that damage has already been done by the previous owner. I can already tell that someone sanded by hand, without a block and made dents in the wood. Some areas even look like someone used a file. So even though I am trying to preserve the cherry as much as possible, I am 99% sure that I need to refinish it in a solid color to hide areas that I need to fix. Still I want to see what the guitar looked like as much as possible and I don't want to make any more damage if I can prevent it.

11. Franc

Franc Member

Unfortunately, the previous owner has already sanded through the red on the back of the neck before painting. I think the white stuff was some sort of bondo. 3F75AEDE-5118-405A-AC06-B23C7972B8C4.png 984E3F0B-C943-4F64-AE6A-381657858315.png

12. Von Trapp

Von Trapp Active Member

Well, you should of course do whatever you're comfortable with. If you are referring to the white coat underneath the blue I would venture a guess that it's primer. There's a particular kind of primer that feels almost rubbery and that leaves a very smooth surface but is nigh on impossible to sand. I think it's going to be fine in some opaque color, there are too many cherry red SG's in this world anyway...

Last edited: Apr 6, 2020
  13. Franc

Franc Member

I know this will hurt some people :io:, but the bevels had already been sanded in places and they are uneven as though someone put a file to it...
    So, without a doubt, I will have to do some reshaping of the bevels and curves. So why not go for that that razor sharp look of a vintage SG (like for instance Iommi's Monkey). Again taking it slow with 80 grid sandpaper stuck to a piece of PVC pipe to keep al the curves.
    Does someone know of any templates that show the edges of the bevels of a nice old SG that I could tape on the guitar so I know how far and where to shave of some wood?

bevel.jpg sharp.JPG

Satellitedog likes this.
  14. Von Trapp

Von Trapp Active Member

Last edited: Apr 7, 2020
  15. dub-setter

dub-setter Well-Known Member

like that natural look of the last pics...;)
    i just would sand it down with no paint and put on some thin lacer.

16. Satellitedog

Satellitedog Active Member

Nice, it has the Gibson style headstock construction with the wings... cool.

17. DrBGood

If you are sure to repaint it opaque. I would for sure attemps to reshape the bevels like the best of them.

This looks good to my untrained vintage Gibson eye.

Bevels.jpg

18. DrBGood

That's what I'm saying, this is pretty close to a Gibson.

dub-setter likes this.
  19. Von Trapp

Von Trapp Active Member

What wings?

20. DrBGood