New SG Owner...

Discussion in 'Welcome Wagon' started by Yugedrums, Mar 1, 2018.

1. Yugedrums

Yugedrums New Member

Hey all! I'm not new to forums in general, but brand-new here. I just purchased a 2012 SG standard and am really digging it. I had owned a couple of other ones in my distant past, along with many other Gibsons over the years, but this is the first one that was exactly what I wanted... it's in the "vintage cherry" finish, which is darker than the "heritage cherry". It came with zebra Burstbuckers, but I've never really been into the zebra style and really like the metal-covered PAF-style look anyway, so I swapped them out for a 57 Classic/57Classic+ set, since I had them in one of my Les Pauls before and liked them.

I always like to be on forums that deal with things I own, so coming here seemed like the obvious choice one I had the new SG. I'm a regular over at the Marshall Forums, since I'm an old-school Marshall guy as well (I'll be 49 soon).

Anyway, I look forward to joining in the conversations relating to one of my new favorite guitars (this thing rocks).

1.jpg 2.jpg

2. AngelDeVille

AngelDeVille Well-Known Member

I'm a firm believer in coverd pickups on Gibsons, so you can be my friend.

Welcome to the forum!

3. panacea

panacea New Member

Looks jus' like mine! also 2012, not sure which pickups but they do sound great,(different than either of my LPs or 335)...

4. Markaria

Markaria Member

shes a beaut Clark!
    very nice and welcome

5. Logan

Logan Well-Known Member

Welcome! As many of us here have many different guitars, I'm sure you'll fit right in :D

6. SG standard

SG standard Well-Known Member

Welcome. :) Can't blame you for swapping out those zebras - and I bet that SG sounds amazing through a Marshall.... :naughty:

7. Yugedrums

Yugedrums New Member

Hey thanks guys. I've already been perusing the Gibson SG board and have enjoyed the discussions. I know a good bit about other guitars, but had no idea how little I actually knew about SG's specifically. Some things are the same... I mean, it's a Gibson. But SG's have things that are specific to them.

It does. :thumb:

8. pancake81

pancake81 Well-Known Member

Wow, that cherry looks so dark. I love it

9. Yugedrums

Yugedrums New Member

Yeah, it was what I had in my head as what I wanted but didn't think that it existed in a modern-built SG. Many of the newer heritage cherry ones I see are way too bright red for me, but this finish is exactly what I wanted. I've seen older ones that had the darker finish, which would have been awesome to be able to afford, but my budget put me in a much newer category. I thought about getting an Ebony Standard, because I like them too... but I already have several black guitars (including two Les Pauls) and really wanted the SG to be different.

I was also firm on it being a Standard with all of the classic Standard features. I've seen darker cherry finishes on different models, special editions, etc... but I wanted a Standard in a dark cherry finish, which this is.

What I wasn't firm about was the batwing vs. angel wing pick guard debate... because I actually like both just fine. This one just happened to have the batwing, so I was fine with it.

Classic look and plays great. I'm very happy with it.