New SG Standard 2014 Flaws

Discussion in 'Gibson SG' started by Metalhead, Aug 5, 2015.

1. Bullfrog

Bullfrog Well-Known Member

Looks like you saved more than enough for a pro set up! :D

It might turn out to be a nice guitar!

PermissionToLand and Metalhead like this.
  2. Goldmember

Goldmember Well-Known Member

Just looking at that fretboard made me feel dehydrated. I'm getting a tall class of raspberry lemonade.

OK, I'm back. I re-read your post, but I didn't understand if you were able to inspect this SG before ordering/purchasing it. Did Bestbuy in Québec ship it directly to you? There are so many little things wrong with this guitar, that collectively, they add up to a big disappointment. If not shipped direct from Gibson to you, perhaps Bestbuy used it as a floor model? The reduced price would seem to confirm this.

Please return it. Or, if you were insane like me, you could slather a massive amount of beurre d'érable on the fretboard, eat it all off, then play Rock or Bust on it at full volume. :cool:

3. DrBGood

DrBGood Well-Known Member

Wat make you tink he's from Kébec ? Is fonny acsent ?

Goldmember likes this.
  4. Metalhead

Metalhead New Member

I have not seen the guitar before buying it.
    I think that for the price the guitar is still a good deal. The flaws looks worse on photos.
    I'm the kind of guy who notices everything and is very careful of his equipment and at the same i saved about 400$ in total and this is a Gibson SG Standard. I will probably keep it as it still look great and sound just like this guitar in this video.

I have Dunlop Fingerboard 02 Deep Conditioner. I'll put it when i'll change the strings

5. JohnnyGoo

JohnnyGoo Well-Known Member

That poor thing looks like its been tossed around like a rag doll.fret board looks like drift wood.that nut and neck joint you can tell took some hits.id return it unless you just took a shine to it. i bought a 3200$ Gibby 120th Flyin V for 1398$ from Sweetwater and its flawless.thats 1800$ of list and it wasnt beat like that.

+Mastodon Fan+ likes this.
  6. +Mastodon Fan+

+Mastodon Fan+ Active Member

If you can...exchange it for a different one. The worst they can say is no. Surely you got a poor example of gibson quality. The next will be much better. BTW that is the nastiest looking fretboard I've ever seen. It's almost comical it's so bad. Personally I'd be super pissed. Sorry for your issues, hope you get it sorted out.

7. Metalhead

Metalhead New Member

You have more luck than me with guitars i have a Jackson japan with flaws that i paid 1380$ in total, ordered a white SGJ from bestbuy in 2013 and it was damaged i returned it http://www.everythingsg.com/threads/gibson-sgj-flaws-pictures.22166/

Ordered a Epiphone hummingbird that comes with badly fitted inlays and some paint flaws returned it too and now this one.

8. +Mastodon Fan+

+Mastodon Fan+ Active Member

Sorry man....that's why you play before you pay. You'd be better off getting a mint used one on ebay. They'll have good pics up and you can return items to the seller if your not satisfied. Sounds like best buy is not a place that you need to do business with.

9. Metalhead

Metalhead New Member

That's the only one that were in stock.

I am two hours away from a guitar store and its a small one, i would probably have to order one anyway.

Last edited: Aug 6, 2015
  10. Metalhead

Metalhead New Member

I looked at ebay but theres not many deal in Canada and custom fees when ordering from USA are quite expensive

11. Bullfrog

Bullfrog Well-Known Member

They are just cosmetic flaws. Have it set up and play it. Then you'll know.

Col Mustard and Bettyboo like this.
  12. Bettyboo

Bettyboo Well-Known Member

It seemed that way from the opening post, you have a good eye and expect the guitar to be at the right quality - rightly so.

For me, nothing there looked terrible (but I know next to nothing...). You got it several hundred $ below the expected price, once the neck is oiled, strings changed and set up by a pro, I bet that guitar will be great. If you'd paid list price from a good guitar shop you'd expect better and send it back for them to put it right, but from Bestbuy or something similar... Having said that, some folks are much more fussy, and they have every right to be, spending their money.

Sounds like you're starting to like her, and she's coming to you, so get that pro setup done and have fun! :D

13. Bettyboo

Bettyboo Well-Known Member

Having just looked at the pics again, I bet that neck, once oiled up, will look great.

If there are fret problems then that's something you shouldn't put up with, but that lightish neck, with oil is gonna be beautiful, imho.

The nut looks strange, very strange, but the pics are all a bit weird, not sure if it's the magnification or colours or what, but I reckon, in person, things might look very different - as you said.

Last edited: Aug 6, 2015
  14. Goldmember

Goldmember Well-Known Member

No, Doc, I'm the one with the funny, freaky-deaky Dutch accent! LOL

I bet two geese, a chicken, and a duck, that Metalhead is from Québec. How do I know? Those crazy guys riding in the chasse-galerie just flew by and told me!

[​IMG]

DrBGood likes this.
  15. DrBGood

DrBGood Well-Known Member

You are well versed in Québécitude my friend.

Goldmember likes this.
  16. smitty_p

smitty_p Well-Known Member

That, and if you click the pictures in his original post, the content on the image host he's using in written in French!

That's pretty schmart of me, no?

(Oops, I just stole Goldmember's accent!)

As for the guitar, before making any hasty decisions, take it to a reputable guitar tech to look at.

Goldmember and Bullfrog like this.
  17. eS.G.

eS.G. Well-Known Member

Wow......how can a retailer let something like that go out?
    Hope you get it all sorted. Had it been me it would have gone back immediately.

18. Adam

Adam Member

I have a 2014 SG standard (no MinETune, thank god) and I will admit there are also minor flaws. One thing about dry fretboards, I think Gibson purposely does this nowadays...LPs from 2013 and 2014 also have had this issue as well..maybe its cause they expect owners to perform a setup that they are no longer able to do haha

19. Biddlin

Biddlin Well-Known Member

?
    ;>)/

20. Adam

Adam Member

I'm just saying, setups and oiling the fretboard can go together and owners will likely have to deal with this themselves because of Gibson's notoriously lacking setups