New to forum, new to SG, new to guitar

Discussion in 'Welcome Wagon' started by zeus7625, Mar 5, 2018.

1. zeus7625

zeus7625 New Member

Took up guitar at 60 and loving it. Loving my new SG 400 and sounding better every day!
    Hello to everyone and looking forward to reading and participating in many posts.

2. Biddlin

Biddlin Well-Known Member

Welcome!

3. Roca

Roca Active Member

36 years old and just learning. This is a great group to be in. I've learned more in a week than I ever have. Rule #1 POST PICS

4. rotorhead

rotorhead Well-Known Member

Welcome

5. AngelDeVille

AngelDeVille Well-Known Member

Play the **** outta that mutha and post a picture!

Didds likes this.
  6. drown

drown Well-Known Member

Welcome. I started two years ago. We've all been there....it's helluva lot fun. Enjoy

7. Plan Zero

Plan Zero Active Member

I am always surprised to see beginners playing Gibsons. Must be nice lol. I always had cheap guitars when I was younger but I primarily played bass. But after about a 10-15 year hiatus I found a $52 maestro by Gibson SG Jr on black Friday and now I've been unlearning all the wrong crap and relearning properly at 42. It's a total pita but rewarding nonetheless. I'm semi retired so I have the time to learn now and I'm surprised how much I can learn and retain. You tube is great. Also after years of drooling over Gibsons I found a steal on a 71 eb-0 that I never would've bought without the knowledgeable people on this forum. I'm considering another vintage Gibson now as well strictly as an investment.

8. gball

gball Well-Known Member

Welcome!! never too late

9. gball

gball Well-Known Member

If I was starting out now I would likely go get myself a Gibson. WTH, guitars are a relatively cheap hobby compared to some (got any friends that are into golf?).

But, I was one of the lucky ones. I got my first Gibson at age 11. My parents were hyper-cool (wish I had realized it at the time) and could see how dedicated I was to playing. It was the choice between paying $300-$400 to get something only slightly better than the P.O.S. starter guitar that I had or going to up to $500-$700 for a real Gibson (this was the mid-'70's), and they understood the investment value of the real deal luckily for me.

10. Biddlin

Biddlin Well-Known Member

groom.jpg
    That used to be my story, too. Now you know why I buy strings in bulk. This is not the entire collection. The les Paul GT is in the living room and there is a bass and a tenor guitar out in the garage, with 6 amplifiers, at least that many mics and stands, a four track Roberts crossfield recorder, a digital recorder, an 8 track mixer, 3 speaker boxes, 2 loaded,a 64 key synthesizer and stand and a couple of crash cymbals. I don't even think of how much money I've spent, but I'm pretty sure I'm deep enough to afford a nice set Pings and a few pair of golf shoes.

Markaria likes this.
  11. gball

gball Well-Known Member

It's not the gear with the gold set as much as the club dues, etc. I have friends that spend as much as $35k a year for their gold club membership.

12. zeus7625

zeus7625 New Member

Feeling the love! Pics will come soon!

13. Logan

Logan Well-Known Member

Welcome! I hope you enjoy it here :D

14. Markaria

Markaria Member

welcome and careful.... easy to get addicted to adding to your collection when that "bug" bites ya.

15. zeus7625

zeus7625 New Member

"The bug" struck a few months ago! I have an inexpensive acoustic for when we travel with the camper and a Squier I picked up in a pawn shop for a project guitar. Trolling the local ads for a Les Paul I can't live without. Lol. But I always come back my Terry G to make me feel good. First love!

Markaria likes this.
  16. Markaria

Markaria Member

When it bites it nibbles a little first....then it really takes a real bite ;-)

17. pancake81

pancake81 Well-Known Member

It’s never to late to learn. Welcome to the forum