New to recording, NOOB question

Discussion in 'Recording Studio' started by Psychobilly444, Oct 27, 2015.

1. Psychobilly444

Psychobilly444 Well-Known Member

I picked up a Tascam DP 004. Planning on using it for recording down the road. I'm playing with it now by recording one track guitar in and another track from an MP3 player. The output is obviously stereo from the computer, but the input (1/4 line in) is mono. The guitar track is fine, but the stereo out/mono in is getting "lost in translation." Monitoring it over heaphones while recording sounds fine, but playback it sounds like it's off in the distance. Is this a mix/pan issue or is there something I can do different? Would a 1/8" stereo to 1/4" mono adapter fix that? does it actually combine both the stereo TRS signal to the single TRS of the mono?

2. dbb

dbb Well-Known Member

What DAWS or other recording program are you using?

3. Psychobilly444

Right now, I'm recording direct to the recorder. In playback is where I am experiencing the wackiness. The program I am uploading the master to is Audacity.

4. dbb

dbb Well-Known Member

Sorry, I realize now that you are using a Tascam DP 004; is there a way to increase the gain from the source input into the Tascam DP 004?

5. Psychobilly444

I tweaked the level of the track for the input. Like I said, monitoring it "live" it sounds mixed and even, on playback it sounds distant and muffled. It's not really the end of the world as an MP3 as one of the tracks is not my ultimate goal, but I would like to get a grasp on this whole recording thing. Thanks.