New to SG - Glad to be here!

Discussion in 'Welcome Wagon' started by LeoFGibson, Apr 25, 2019.

1. LeoFGibson

LeoFGibson New Member

Hey, all! After playing a Les Paul Less Plus for a (short) while, I found that I just wasn't bonding with it. It is a beautiful guitar, and the Classic '57/'57+ pickup combination puts out some righteous tones!

So I started looking for an alternative, while staying with Gibson. For reference, my #1 guitar is a 2010 Fender USA Standard - and it is my benchmark for all 6-string electrics. I just need something with a different voice, and my aged O'Hagan double-cutaway weighs about a ton! So that's the background of how my first Gibson was the Less Plus...thinner and lighter.

Sorry for the long-winded intro...we've established that I'm a Strat guy by nature (the neck on my Strat is the most comfortable I've ever played), and prefer guitars that don't weigh as much as my car. So, after doing lots of research, I landed on seeking out an SG, and - in the interest of being different like I always seem to do - specifically one with a P90/mini-hum format. I wanted the option of swapping the neck from one to the other as my quest for ultimate tone continues.

Scored a CRAZY deal through GC on a 2016 Special HP with mini-hums. Ironically, the first one i found listed at a GC in Cali was much more money and didn't come with a case. The guitar gods looked favorably upon me and sent one to my local GC for $499!!! With the very nicely padded HP gig bag, the graduation photo from the test bench, charger for the GForce and QC checklist! (As many of you know, it has a rounded maple neck: HEAVEN!)

Attached are photos of the SG and the LPL+ (soon to be for sale once I swap the Schaller piezo bridge to the SG).

Happy to be a new member of this great SG community! Let the mods begin!!!
    2016 Gibson SG Special HP.jpg LPL+.jpg

HackeIommi and Joncaster like this.
  2. Gahr

Gahr Well-Known Member

Congrats on a very nice guitar, and welcome!

3. arcticsg

arcticsg Well-Known Member

Beautiful new SG :smile:

Welcome aboard, and Happy NGD to ya! :cheers:

4. Col Mustard

Col Mustard Well-Known Member

I say keep them both, and use them for what they each do best
    which might not be the same. That's a fine looking Lester, you'll likely
    regret selling it, if you ever do.

Welcome to ETSG. I to am the owner of a mini hum bucker equipped SG, as well as
    one I've modded with '57 Classic and Classic plus hum buckers.
    Music room 1@100.jpg
    SGs and Lesters do sound similar, but they are totally different animals
    IMHO and each deserves its place in the mix.

Don't sell your Les Paul until you've figured out the SG's place in the mix,
    and considered the Les Paul's.

now let's see some pictures...

5. DanB

DanB Member

As a new member myself Leo welcome to the SG Forum and glad to see that you have found both an SG to include in your collection of guitars and that you have found this forum to share your guitar experiences with

6. OldDog

OldDog New Member

Welcome! I too am new to ETSG. I'm also new to guitars and have gotten invaluable help here. Unless you live in one of those tiny houses, keep the LP. They're finely crafted art.