New User Reference: A Guide For Fitting In

Discussion in 'Front Desk' started by Alex, Dec 11, 2004.

1. Alex

Alex Administrator Staff Member

New User Reference: A Guide For Fitting In on the ETSG Discussion Board

If you are new to the EverythingSG.com Discussion Board then we want to welcome you. *This site has some of the most knowledgeable people when it comes to SGs in particular and guitars in general that you will find anywhere on the Internet. *There aren't a lot of rules here. *But if you follow the list below you will have a much more enjoyable time while you visit.

Disclaimer: Anything including pictures, sounds, words, etc. posted in the Discussion Board become the property of EverythingSG.com and may be used in any manner needed to enhance the website. The board administration cannot be responsible for the email you get or any posts that are made that may be offending!

*This website was started so that SG enthusiasts would have a place to go to find out everything they wanted to know about the SG. This includes pictures, specs, advertisements, news, etc. *It also includes a Discussion Board where FRIENDLY people get together and talk about SGs and associated products, tips, etc.

*If the topics aren't helpful in nature and about guitars/amps/effects or other areas so designated then they have no place on this board.

*Picture sizes need to be limited to a maximum of 640x480. If your picture is large you need to resize it before uploading it. *You can download a free copy of Photo Gadget which will resize the photos for you.

*You can choose to have your email address displayed, or NOT, in your profile. If you choose to display your email address in the space provided, keep in mind that you may be open to some unwanted (spam) email. Alternately, you can spoof your email address in the signature box in your profile, to give real people (not datamining software) a way to contact you. One way to spoof your email address is "myemailname at myprovider dot net/com", for example, "admin at everthingsg dot com". Keep in mind that if someone here has your valid address in their Windows address book, and they become infected with a virus, you may still get some errant email. *As always, use extreme care when email attachments are present. *Also use an email scanning virus detection program. *You can use your favorite search engine to find them.

*Familiarize yourself with the different sections of the Discussion Board. *It has been divided into sections so that you can post your questions and responses into an area where it will *get the most attention. *Posting to the right area saves board space, bandwidth and will probably get you a better and faster response to your questions. Misplaced posts are subject to be moved or deleted.

*Please take a moment and try to use the search engine before posting questions. For example, if you have a question regarding "DirtyFingers" pickups, do a search on that, read those questions and responses, and then if you still need help, at least you'll have some idea of how to best ask your question, which leads to the best and quickest responses.

*Please give some idea of main basis of your post when you create its subject line. If you just put "SG question" and your question is about SG Custom tuner machines from the 60\'s, your probably not going to get the best responses.

*Everyone on here follows the same kindred spirit. There is a lot of good natured ribbing and even a few personal jabs from time to time. But when you stick around a while you'll see that it is all in fun and not intended to hurt anyone. In some ways it's binds us all together as a brotherhood (and sisterhood) of SG fanatics. If anyone says anything that you take to be less than cordial, then the first thing to do is ask them about it, not fire back. We have had those kinds of wars on here before and people have been asked to leave. *

Please limit the profanity. vulgarity, flames, or rude behavior. *Posting on this Discussion Board is a privilege, not a right. If you have trouble with these guidelines you may be suspended from posting, either temporarily or permanently.

Please keep your taglines SG, guitar or music related. *If this is a problem you can probably live without having one.

*The Admin or Moderators may edit or remove any post deemed offensive or out of place*

If you need a set of rules then they would be as follows:

1. Ask questions about SGs specifically and anything guitar related in general.

2. Answer questions about SGs specifically and anything guitar related in general.

3. Don't put other's down for their views or opinions.

4. Feel free to post "some" advertising for your business, your band, your hobby, etc. But don't go overboard.

5. Feel free to post reviews of equipment you think may be of interest to others.

6. Alert others to possible scams or questionable auctions on eBay that are related to SGs.

8. Remember all of the above information.

7. Have fun and keep coming back. Oh yeah...tell all your friends.

That about covers it. And anyone on here will tell you, if you do something I don't like, I'll let you know!'

2. Alex_SG

Alex_SG Well-Known Member

And maybe we should set rules for posting "For Sale" ads. Perhaps a minimum amount of "other" posts before an ad can be listed? I know a lot of other forums have this rule to stop "one off" posters who just want to sell their stuff or link to spammy sites.
    We tend to see quite a few people who only post once or twice trying to sell their wares, guitars or otherwise, then we never hear from them again...

3. JohnnyGoo

JohnnyGoo Well-Known Member

Fair enough

4. eS.G.

eS.G. Well-Known Member

Uhm....I....well.....uhm.....I don't think I broke any of those rules......

should there be one about crayons in the living room?

Alex_SG likes this.
  5. javamagic

javamagic Well-Known Member

How about:

When quoting please delete all but the relevant parts.

And:

There is seldom any need to quote the post directly prior to yours.

Bullfrog likes this.
  6. SG standard

SG standard Well-Known Member

I often find those quotes helpful.

(sorry)

Hammer likes this.
  7. LeadFinger

LeadFinger Well-Known Member

8. No candy unless you have enough for everyone.

9. Try not to be a dick.

8. eS.G.

eS.G. Well-Known Member

9. ChasFred

ChasFred Member

what are the points for that are listed in my profile picture? Do I get to cash them in for a Cracker Jack prize?

10. Tony M

Tony M Well-Known Member

7 rules!
    See.
    I can count.
    :smile:

11. PeteR

PeteR Active Member

The 'trophy-points' ?

http://www.everythingsg.com/help/trophies

1. 10
      Awarded: Yesterday at 1:40 AM
      I Like It a Lot
      Your messages have been liked 25 times.
    2. 5
      Awarded: Yesterday at 12:40 AM
      Keeps Coming Back
      30 messages posted. You must like it here!
    3. 2
      Awarded: Oct 22, 2016
      Somebody Likes You
      Somebody out there liked one of your messages. Keep posting like that for more!

4. 1
      Awarded: Oct 22, 2016
      First Message
      Post a message somewhere on the site to receive this.

12. Raiyn

Raiyn Well-Known Member

1. 1
      First Message
      Post a message somewhere on the site to receive this.

2. 2
      Somebody Likes You
      Somebody out there liked one of your messages. Keep posting like that for more!

3. 5
      Keeps Coming Back
      30 messages posted. You must like it here!

4. 10
      Can't Stop!
      You've posted 100 messages. I hope this took you more than a day!

5. 10
      I Like It a Lot
      Your messages have been liked 25 times.

6. 15
      Seriously Likeable!
      Content you have posted has attracted 100 likes.

7. 20
      Addicted
      1,000 messages? Impressive!

8. 20
      Can't Get Enough of Your Stuff
      Your content has been liked 250 times.

9. 30
      I LOVE IT!
      Content you have posted has attracted 500 likes.