New Wiring Harness

Discussion in 'Tone Zone' started by Joncaster, Jun 7, 2019.

1. Joncaster

Joncaster Member

Took a few nights of slow, careful work.
    I was a bit nervous to scratch up the finish, way more timid than any work I've done on my Tele haha. Tele cavities are a pain.

My reasons for ripping out the PCB:
    Modern wiring gets dark too quickly
    Tones weren't doing much and then getting too muddy
    Tapers were a bit too abrupt, but don't want to go full 30%, cause my fuzz faces still like a drop off.
    Pots measured all over the 500k tolerance map, wanted to bring it into a more focused spec.
    Feel was a bit too stiff.
    Output jack didn't have a nice 'clack' like a decent Switchcraft does.

Main reason: I like fiddling around and building things.

So I got Dimarzio everything (right spec, cheap for me cause my job).
    Mapped out a cardboard template and used what I had lying around wire wise.

I really like that thick stranded wire, it's easy to work and doesn't melt easy.

The results:
    Everything is better as per the above concerns, but small things are also better:
    Middle position is chimier and chirpier
    Bridge sounds more vocal and balanced
    Neck is a touch more open.
    Tones have more shades to play with and full rolloff isn't as muddy (despite the same value 22nf caps)

Totally didn't wire the bridge properly first time round, damn pcb changes. But that's a well documented issue so was a quick fix.

Very happy. I love this guitar so much.

IMG_20190607_141823.jpg

2. cerebral gasket

cerebral gasket Well-Known Member

Great job!
    Super clean wiring and soldering.

plankton and Joncaster like this.
  3. Joncaster

Joncaster Member

Thank you!

Last edited: Jun 8, 2019
    cerebral gasket likes this.
  4. plankton

plankton Well-Known Member

That's a very tidy layout, looks great, and more importantly it seems like it sounds great too.

Joncaster likes this.
  5. pedecamp

pedecamp Active Member

Very nice job! I see you used 500k pots all around, are they audio or linear or a mix? I just pulled an after market harness with 500k audio pots out of the SG I just got and put it back to stock, 300k linear volume and 500k audio tone, it sounds perfect with the 57 Classic pickups. :yesway:

Joncaster likes this.
  6. Joncaster

Joncaster Member

Thanks Pedecamp!

I used 500k all around, the Dimarzio pots are 15% audio taper, so I get a little bit more of a gradual roll-off of volume than I got with the stock setup.
    I chose not to go with Linear or Vintage Taper, as I like a slightly quick step down for my Fuzz Face builds to clean up nicely.
    So now between 10 and 7-8 there's a bit more tonal palette to play with. (rather than the stock 10 to 9 madness)

My stock PCB was also 500k Audio Taper all around, as it was a newer '19 pcb.
    So not a huge change in tone and feel overall, a bit more subtle. But it's definitely a change.
    The 50's wiring is the biggest change, that cleans up so well, it's really nice.

The stock 490R/490T respond nicely, and I think they need that 500k over a 300k to open up properly.
    But i'm going with some custom wound pickups in the near future, and discussing this with the winder also helped my decisions.

Glad you're digging your wiring! It really is the engine room.

pedecamp likes this.