Newbie here - '69 SG hardware question

Discussion in 'Vintage SG' started by Hola Vibrola, Jan 20, 2020.

1. Hola Vibrola

Hola Vibrola Member

hey all, greetings from Maine, I just found you from the sister Tele site. My long-time auto mechanic recently told me he has an old electric guitar that his dad traded for a snowmobile long ago, and asked would I get it up and running for him to plunk on, and he thought it was a Gibson. I'm like hell ya get it out and thinking it's gotta be a LP or SG, and sure enough it's an SG Special, the serial number indicating either a '66 or '69. I've since read a lot of info online and in books as to further distinguish the year but there's sure a lot of conflicting info out there. In any event I've attached a few pics and what I'd really like to find out is which screws for the gear wheels on the back of the headstock are the correct/original ones. (I've had some people tell me that the particular metal plates and the metal tuning knobs aren't original, but I saw a lot of other '69s online that are the same.) So in the headstock pic, there are two screws in the upper left that are darker color and phillips head; and two in the upper right that are not phillips head and would seem to me more appropriate, but I've seen the darker ones in other later 60's pictures online. (The bottom left screw is new and not an original.) Any info that anyone can provide as to which screws are correct is greatly appr IMG_1960.JPG eciated, as I'd like to complete the full 6 screws; the guitar is otherwise all original. Thanks!

IMG_1964.JPG

papagayo, 19sixty3, jonnyfez and 2 others like this.
  2. cerebral gasket

cerebral gasket Well-Known Member

3. Hola Vibrola

Hola Vibrola Member

Thank you cerebral gasket, that reference is just what I needed. So the philips heads match my upper left two, and this gives me a bit more confidence of originality; with the metal vs. plastic tuners as well. Now I just need to find 4 more and call it good!

cerebral gasket likes this.
  4. Hola Vibrola

Hola Vibrola Member

ps if anyone could recommend a good seller/large inventory of Gibson NOS parts, that is appreciated ... so far no luck with places tried online, and it will probably be a challenge to find just screws as opposed to having to get whole tuning sets.

5. jonnyfez

jonnyfez Member

Are you near Portland? Call or stop by Buckdancer's Choice on St. John's street. They might be able to help you. Trading an SG for a snowmobile. Most Maine thing ever. Maine needs more SG Specials! I'm doing my part.

Hola Vibrola likes this.
  6. Hola Vibrola

Hola Vibrola Member

thank you jonnyfez, yep I'm an hour north of Portland (Boothbay) and Bucky's is my main guitar store. They did drop the Gibson line some years ago, but definitely will check in with them for connections to parts. Tim their amp guy is the best. Thanks for checking in!

jonnyfez likes this.
  7. jonnyfez

jonnyfez Member

I stop in there often (I'm in Kittery.) With as much vintage stuff as they get coming through there I'm guessing they may be able to hook you up or point you in the right direction. There's a good shop in Cornish too - Friendly River Music. Might be worth a call.

8. Hola Vibrola

Hola Vibrola Member

Ah that's a great idea, I haven't thought of Friendly R in years and wasn't sure they still existed, so yeah a call to them for sure, thanks! ... ps, your Special in the avatar pic is wicked sweet!

9. PermissionToLand

PermissionToLand Well-Known Member

NOS parts will be a tough one for a now 50 year old guitar. And frankly, not worth it here IMO. Unless you've got a '61 Standard or something worth five figures or more, I wouldn't worry about it too much.

From what I can tell without better pics, it looks like a 1969 or 1970. It doesn't look like a 3 pc neck from that picture, but I that could be because of the angle. The Gibson inlay font looks like the 1970 style and the bevels make me think it's a 1970. But the lack of a volute suggests 1969. Better pics are needed, and a huge help would be pot codes.

Sweet William likes this.
  10. papagayo

papagayo Well-Known Member

Beautiful SG, congrats.

Hola Vibrola likes this.
  11. Hola Vibrola

Hola Vibrola Member

Thank you PermissionToLand for taking the time to offer all your insights. The funny thing is, the mechanic who owns it is not worrying about it at all, he keeps telling me he can just machine some screws himself so he can get to playing it haha, but me being the anal type and the guitar having been sitting in storage for like 40 years already, I convinced him to give me a few weeks more at least to see if I can locate some 'correct' NOS/replacement screws to complete the 6. You're right that it's a long shot and, no luck yet but still have lots more inquiries out.

The headstock serial number of 851100 falls firmly within the range 847499 - 958999 for 1966, 1969 production, but perhaps it was made at the tail end of '69 and some '70 features were already being applied. But yeah Gibson serial numbers can be screwy and approximate in cases; as far a pot codes that's the owner's call and he likely doesn't really care, just wants to play!

12. Hola Vibrola

Hola Vibrola Member

meant to type, 858999, not 958999 ...

13. PermissionToLand

PermissionToLand Well-Known Member

You can get some reproduction screws. That would be a far superior solution to whatever he might fabricate. Not sure if these are the size you need, but it's a good place to start:

https://www.stewmac.com/Hardware_an...3jyHgmOm6VUZLUbuTIfnzs3EhR74zPCxoCCLoQAvD_BwE

Here's the thing about serial numbers in the '60s; they are next to useless for dating. I honestly don't even bother looking at the serial when I'm dating an SG. It could very well be a '69 though.

You can check the pots quite easily and non-destructively by popping off the rear cover. Usually at least one is visible, although sometimes solder does cover them all.

Hola Vibrola likes this.
  14. Hola Vibrola

Hola Vibrola Member

Thanks PTL for these additional tips and the weblink, that could well be the ticket. I'll also be driving this week to a few long-time vintage dealers and repair shops that have a "pile" of old parts. Definitely will pop off the rear cover for a look at the pots. I appreciate all of your input!

15. Hola Vibrola

Hola Vibrola Member

IMG_2016.JPG

Success! Travelled yesterday to a shop in the little town of Hiram Maine, Friendly River Music, as the owner had told me he has "tons of that stuff" (old parts, screws etc.) Within 10 minutes he had rummaged through one particular shoebox of misc. tuners etc. etc., and found an old tuning assembly of which the screws matched perfectly the two original on the SG. Woohoo! That left us 1 1/2 hours to browse his incredible array of vintage guitars and amps, the walls and floors stuffed with rows of Rics, Gretsches, Gibson, Fenders, British Voxes, Trussarts, LSLSs, on and on; also he is a Fender dealer; all in his old house on a backroad in this little country town. If you are ever traveling up through Maine and feel like a "guit-store rambling" (~ 45 min. inland from I-95), this place is well worth your while and the owner John is a great guy. Check out the Facebook page for an injection of GAS (the regular webpage doesn't show the in-house stock.)

Piper68Special likes this.