Newbie here - Advice needed on value of 1971 SG

Discussion in 'Vintage SG' started by DBluesMi, Feb 10, 2018.

1. DBluesMi

DBluesMi New Member

Hello,

This is my first post as a new member here. Have been looking at SG’s for a while. Came across an excellent (close to mint) 1971 SG Deluxe with case (Bigsby, logo pups, all original, no dents dings, cracks, etc)... looks like it has been stored in the case/closet for many years.

I am new to vintage SG’s but wondered what these would sell for in this condition with original case? Sort of a medium brown color (not dark dark walnut and not cherry). Serial number checks out to Kalamazoo 1970, 71, 72 (owner says 71)...not asking for real or not, I know it is but more asking for what these would typically sell for - (I know they are not the Holy Grail of SG’s but still revered by many). Just want to make sure I am getting a decent deal and not paying what some collector might pay (can’t afford that).

Thanks for any advice

2. syscokid

syscokid Well-Known Member

Welcome to ETSG... :cheers:

Researching thru Reverb.com's price history shows a fair price of $2000 to $2200 for these guitars that are in excellent condition. $2800 being an extreme.

DBluesMi likes this.
  3. DBluesMi

DBluesMi New Member

Thanks,
    I have seen various ones on eBay but they all are different (headstock repairs, etc)...

4. SG standard

SG standard Well-Known Member

If you're new to vintage SGs I'd be a little bit careful about anything that's advertised as 'all original' - you really need to know what you're looking at to be sure that's true, and also be aware that it's a likely sign you're being asked to pay top prices. Also, anything you can spot that's not original becomes a bargaining point.

Ideally, you DO want to pay 'collector prices' - these guitars are not rare, they come up often enough - and collectors know exactly what they're looking at, and what things are worth, so they're usually going to wait for that bargain to come along. And when they find something more pristine than the one they've already got, they may just unload that one for top $$$ to someone who doesn't know better...

So take care, and I hope you pick up a bargain. And don't forget to come back & post some pics! :)

5. DBluesMi

DBluesMi New Member

Thanks - I bought it... I’ll post some details later. A great Kalamazoo story behind it.

SG standard and rotorhead like this.
  6. Col Mustard

Col Mustard Well-Known Member

Welcome to ETSG!

We do have a casual rule around here:

PICTURES, OR IT
    NEVER HAPPENED

I'll get you started by showing some pictures of a '71 SG Deluxe
    that belongs to an old friend of mine. He's the original owner
    and has not modded it to my knowledge.

His looks like this:
    Rear Quarter@100.jpg
    body close@100.jpg
    controls close@100.jpg
    Headstock@100.jpg
    Headstock_nut@100.jpg
    body low oblique@100.jpg
    This SG is as pristine a vintage guitar as I've ever seen. I had actually never seen one of these,
    being busy in the child rearing mode when these were made. So my jaw dropped when my old
    friend walked into my shop to show me this. He let me play it too, and it sounded beautiful.

If you look at the picture just above, you can see one of the unique characteristics of this
    model... They built them with no back angle at the neck/body joint. Gibson marketed this
    innovation as the "90 degree neck pitch."

This feature was not popular, and Gibson only made them like this for a couple of years before
    buyer pressure forced them to restore the design to the 4 degree back angle that's common
    to all Gibsons, including SGs made before this and after.

That's something most of us don't see every day. I'd never had one in my hands, or seen
    another player with one. So I was stunned to be able to photograph it and play it briefly
    through a small Roland practice amp. It sounded clear and tough, like an SG should.
    T Top p'ups.

Now we want to hear all about yours.... and tell us the Kalamazoo story.

Bad Penguin and DBluesMi like this.
  7. DBluesMi

DBluesMi New Member

Wow, That is beautiful!!! I love the dark color. I just got home from my long birthday day drive (in a Michigan snowstorm) to pick it up.
    Heres a quick picture (just as I got it, no dings, no dents, no scratches)... can't wait to polish it up and get it all setup. But in my quick test, it plays beautifully. Pickup(s) tone is not 57 Classic good but not too bad (just a bit different tone).
    Gibson SG small.jpg

8. Daniel.S

Daniel.S Active Member

That looks absolutely amazing!
    That full sized case is perfect also.

What do you use to polish your guitars?

9. DBluesMi

DBluesMi New Member

If you are talking about mine in the purple lined case, I hadn’t polished it yet... neither had the person I bought it from.. it was just mint.
    That being said, I have tried the Gibson spray polish and wasn’t that impressed.
    I use Flitz Speed Wax and I find that works and smells the best. Spray, rub, then buff out

Col Mustard likes this.
  10. Col Mustard

The one I posted has Gibson's deep gloss, and only needs to be
    buffed with a cotton bandana to take away dust bunnies.

The OP's cool new old Gibson looks to have a fine gloss too.
    For polishing lacquer finishes like this, I recommend Music Nomad's Guitar One

https://www.musicnomadcare.com/Products/The-Guitar-ONE-4-oz/

Here's some of the products I use myself:
    Fret Doctor, for oiling the fretboard
    Guitar One, for fine lacquer finishes on Gibsons and USA Fender guitars
    Dunlop #65, for the same
    Lemon Oil, for cleaning fretboards of gunk and dead punk skin.
    ...and in that medicine bottle, a home made mixture of vaseline and powdered graphite.
    I use that to lube the nut slots, and to lube the bridge saddles, and under the string trees
    on a Fender, and to lube open gear tuning machines. A tiny dot on the end of a toothpick
    is enough for a nut slot
    IMG_1099@100.jpg

DBluesMi likes this.
  11. Col Mustard

Oh and to the OP, a fellow Michigander: greetings!
    I've stayed home this weekend, hunkered down and takin' care of business
    with my good lady while it snows and snows.

Your SG Deluxe looks extra cool. I still want to hear the Kalamazoo story, which is
    where your guitar was made. I have a 2012 SG Special "70s Tribute" which was made
    in Nashville and only has a few things in common with yours, which is the real thing.

Here's a photo of the '70s tribute guitar next to my friend Gene's '71 SG Deluxe
    just to show how these measure up. My silver burst is a modernistic take on the
    concept. With Mini Humbuckers... Your lovely new old guitar is the genuine article.
    Pair 2@100.jpg
    Your T-top pickups are highly regarded and very desirable.
    I wouldn't attempt to judge them until you've got a new set of the strings you prefer
    on that SG. After setup and a set of new strings, you'll be able to play that instrument
    for what it is, and damn all considerations of what it is not. *grins

syscokid and DBluesMi like this.
  12. Daniel.S

Daniel.S Active Member

Thanks for the info Col. I have many car waxes, sealants and polishes at home. I use a really nice acrylic sealer on my poly guitars which makes them looks absolutely amazing, but I haven't tried it on my new SG yet with the nitro finish.

DBluesMi likes this.
  13. syscokid

syscokid Well-Known Member

Looks really nice and another Congrats! I'm sure you'll be posting more pics. So, are you resposible for bringing up the market value on these guitars?

DBluesMi likes this.
  14. DBluesMi

DBluesMi New Member

Had a chance to play the logo tops again... very nice

15. Ron Featherston

Ron Featherston New Member

It does seem the value on these Deluxes have increased lately. I saw a very nice one go on Ebay the other day for almost 3K.

DBluesMi likes this.
  16. S.Ustain

S.Ustain Member

Yes -- I would expect to pay around 2K for a player, $2500 for a really clean one, and $3K for a case queen. IMO, these will never be really collectible because they deviate from SG norms in a few ways that are not improvements: the flat neck set, and the somewhat ugly control plate. If the action feels good, then the neck pitch is a non-issue except as a concept, and not everyone is obsessed with pickguard shape. That makes a clean one of these models, sometimes, a really good buy. You're getting older wood, the guitar will have stabilized, and the pickups are as good or better than other periods. As for the Bigsby, that's a plus for many, and for some of us, something to dismount ASAP.

17. Daniel.S

Daniel.S Active Member

I reckon that les Paul style pickguard suits it. Especially with the control guard as well.

18. LarryC

LarryC Active Member

in case you didn't know, those Gibson embossed pickup covers were only made for one year .'72 is the year I always thought it was?,they are $$ so good for you man!

19. drown

drown Well-Known Member

More like $$$

20. Ron Featherston

Ron Featherston New Member

I have been looking for one of these. May I ask how much you had to give for it?