NGD: 1980 Greco Super Real SG!

Discussion in 'SG Copies' started by bwotw, Jan 4, 2016.

1. bwotw

bwotw Well-Known Member

So, my quest for an SG with the Lyre vibrola has taken me to this little lady: a 1980 Super Real Greco SS700.

Pretty much, the closest to a '63-'64 SG I'll be able to afford. In fact, except for the pickguard holes, the multiply tenon cover and the knob localtion, it looks very close to the real thing. Great cherry nitro laquer, ABR, pointy inlays, paper-thin binding with nibs, tapered horns, nickel hardware, double ring tuners...

And, at 2,9kg (6lb 6oz), one of the lightest guitars (if not the lightest) I've ever strapped on. Absolutely no neck dive, even with a cheap, cloth Fender strap.

I just got it today and it has a long way to go still. A Vibrola hanbdle bar is on the way from eBay (Thanks, Relic61 for the tip!). And I either have to put nickel covers on the pickups or change them for covered ones (this kind of SG is weird to me without them). I'm still evaluating them. And of course, a deep clean, polish and conditioning that is long overdue.

Be warned: this initial review is made in pure honeymooning stage. But, in my limited time with it, I gotta say it delivers. Big time. Holds tuning perfectly, great sustain, clear sound, balanced pickups... A joy to play.

Thanks to everyone in this forum for sharing your Maestro experience, I finally have my own!

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Gibsg, dexspeed, fahad187 and 10 others like this.
  2. Bettyboo

Bettyboo Well-Known Member

Fantastic guitar, well done, Sir! :dude:

I haven't played any japanese SGs so I don't have personal experience, but I've read a lot of reviews, listened to Youtube vids, etc, and many folks say these Japanese SGs/LPs such as a Japanese Greco and Edwards, Fujigen, etc, are as good as very expensive Gibsons.

bwotw likes this.
  3. bwotw

bwotw Well-Known Member

They sure are, at least the higher end ones . Besides this one, I used to have a late 70's Yamaha that was a fantastic guitar as well.

And I'm liking this Greco AT LEAST as much as an old vintage SG I used to have

4. JohnnyGoo

JohnnyGoo Well-Known Member

wow thats a sweet looking SG.congrats

bwotw likes this.
  5. DrBGood

DrBGood Well-Known Member

Wow, stunning ! I love light guitars, I feel they're easier to play.
    I like that curved tenon cover.
    You plan on doing something with the rusted screws ? Replace or just polish them ?

Westernrider and bwotw like this.
  6. bwotw

bwotw Well-Known Member

Thanks!!! I agree, light guitars are best. Even if you can take a 10lbs axe (I can't), why would you? Light is good ;)

I'm giving it a good cleaning at the moment. I polished the screw heads a bit too, I'll leave them be. It can be a pain to find the right type of screws to replace and, other than the look, they actually turn nicely and aren't worn out. Can't wait to get this one finished!

DrBGood likes this.
  7. PermissionToLand

PermissionToLand Well-Known Member

Ooh, nice score! I've been spending too much time browsing Yahoo Japan, there are so many awesome deals on Japanese guitars. Grecos and Burnys are my favorites. That is definitely one of the nicer ones. Honestly, I wouldn't even polish it. I like my guitars to wear their age with pride!

Are the PUPs original? How do they sound?

bwotw likes this.
  8. bwotw

bwotw Well-Known Member

Thanks! She's quite a looker!

As far as I can tell, the pickups are the only thing that's not stock. They're Gotoh humbuckers, no idea of the model, can't find anything. They read about 7.7k. I've only played them at home, but so far sound's nice. Clear and punchy, though somewhat scooped. Not as much mids and my other SG with the Duncan Antiquities. I'll wait to play it for some time with my live rig before I decide if I replace them.

(BTW, do you have any idea what model could they be?)

[​IMG]

eS.G. likes this.
  9. eS.G.

eS.G. Well-Known Member

Holy MOTHER OF PEARL that is fooking an AMAZING SCORE !!!! Congratulations !!!!!

bwotw likes this.
  10. DrBGood

DrBGood Well-Known Member

F for Fneck or Frhythm ?

dexspeed and milesdeem like this.
  11. PermissionToLand

Well, I'm no expert but here's what I could find. First of all, the marking is not a Japanese character as I considered. So, it's definitely an "F". Then, looking at other Gotoh PUPs I see many have "F"s on the stickers that identify them. Apparently, it stands for "Front", as the bridge PUPs have an "R" for "Rear".

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Although all Gotoh PUPs seems to have the same engraving and only the sticker denotes the model, there are slight differences in build style that can help you rule out certain models, like the FVH-1001, which the pole pieces don't go through the base plate:

[​IMG]

I didn't see a whole lot of other models, so maybe you do have some "LP-A"s. Supposedly PAF style pickups with a medium output around 7-8k ohms.

And maybe they could be stock; apparently Gotoh PUPs were used in many Japanese guitars in the '80s, including Burnys and Grecos:

http://www.jvguitars.com/showproduct.pl?id=1281379951

bwotw likes this.
  12. bwotw

bwotw Well-Known Member

Yes, the F stands for Front, the other pickup has a R for Rear. Even if had stickers at one point, I haven't been able to find online a picture of an identical pickup (you know, typical PAF baseplate with the polepieces, but with a big black lead with 4 cables: most are either green, yellow, grey or your standard braided wire).

They're not stock, unfortunately, those should be Maxon made PU-2 pickups.

13. PermissionToLand

I've never heard Maxons, but maybe you could find some on ebay. A lot of those now-vintage Japanese axes had some pretty good stock PUPs. Although I'd be tempted to drop in some Burstbuckers personally.

14. Bettyboo

I was also under the impression, that like Gibson at times, sometimes these guitars had whatever pickups were around at the time installed - and Gotohs were around the factory and were good pickups. I really don't know, but I'd presume they were stock. Sorry if I'm being a bit dense here... :rolleyes:

Regardless, it's obviously a lovely SG.

bwotw likes this.
  15. frankd

frankd Well-Known Member

very nice looking guitar I always wanted a nice Greco Lp but they hard to find in mint and when ya do they want Usa LP price then they are usauly overseas so major shipping fees and time worrying about it making it
    in one piece.!

bwotw likes this.
  16. bwotw

bwotw Well-Known Member

Might be! They are japanese and seem from the same era, who knows! They do sound good, though

17. Bettyboo

^ and that's all that matters. I've seen silly prices asked for Gotohs from that period, as is silly high.

bwotw likes this.
  18. bwotw

bwotw Well-Known Member

Since I've got the guitar, I've modded it a bit and forgot to post it before. This is how she looks now, with Duncan 59's, the missing trem arm replaced, pointer washers, and a Creamtone pickguard fitted

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

And this is how it sounds:

19. Bettyboo

Looks great.

Sounds like an Ibanez when you play like that! :dude:

bwotw likes this.
  20. PermissionToLand

Again, what a score, man! With the finishing touches it could pass for a real vintage Gibson. She's a beauty, and killer playing BTW. Inspired me to want to grab my SG, but it's past midnight, lol.

bwotw likes this.