NGD: 2002 Les Paul Special Faded

Discussion in 'Other Guitars' started by Kabrijj, Nov 5, 2016.

1. Kabrijj

Kabrijj Well-Known Member

Hi everybody. My name's Nate, and I'm a gear-a-holic.

Found this little number and just couldn't pass it up. And for $300, can ya really blame me?
    IMG_20161105_163109555.jpg

A 2002 Gibby LP Special Faded with a lot of natural, honest playwear. And it plays great (it's been my experience that guitars that look like they've had the **** played out of them usually play really nicely... go figure). No major issues, just some minor cosmetic ones.

IMG_20161105_163123420.jpg

Some color taken away from either pick attack or where your fingers rest...

IMG_20161105_163139950.jpg

The elbow bout worn down...

IMG_20161105_163242245.jpg

And some finish worn from the neck. In addition to numerous small dings and a plethora of scratches...

It just called to me, man!

But really, I dig it. It's honest playwear, which I dig (relic'd guitars never did much for me). To use a baseball metaphor, it's like an old glove: worn-in in all the right places, super comfortable when you play it... it just feels like home.

Some minor issues which I might address include the truss rod cover: it's chipped at both screw holes. But it stays in place just fine, and it kinda fits the beat up vibe.
    IMG_20161105_163152579.jpg

Some minor issues which I will (eventually) definitely address include the missing switch cavity cover and some wiring.
    IMG_20161105_163232355.jpg

Kinda hard to tell from this pic, but there's some electrical tape near the switch. The inner engineer in me cringes at electrical tape (heat shrink is much preferable, to me: it looks cleaner and doesn't leave a sticky mess). It almost looks like the guy used speaker wire, too... but I'm not in a huge hurry to re-wire this puppy, as it works just fine. If it ain't broke, don't fix it, right?

The best part about buying a used guitar, especially one with many dings & scratches, is you don't have to worry about babying it! You can focus on the important stuff: playing music.

Mucho gusto.

2. Paul G.

Paul G. Well-Known Member

Very nice!!

3. JohnnyGoo

JohnnyGoo Well-Known Member

Nice guitar, that cover is easy and fairly cheap to replace

4. jjudas

jjudas Well-Known Member

Nice find!

5. chicagoslim

chicagoslim Active Member

Congratulations!

That's my kind of Les Paul.

6. ninjaking67

ninjaking67 Well-Known Member

Very nice!

7. DrBGood

DrBGood Well-Known Member

You're at the right place here. We WON'T help you with your disease, we'll probably make it worst.

And yep, I would have jumped on it too. If it has that much wear, it MUST play real good. Did seller tell you why he was selling it ?

Robert Herndon likes this.
  8. Col Mustard

Col Mustard Well-Known Member

It almost doesn't matter why the seller was selling it... (unless it was stolen)
    At that price, you can fix anything that's wrong with it and move on. It's a real player.
    All of the rawk and kerang, and none of the bling. Give it a new wiring harness, with good
    quality pots and switches, no black tape and a new cover.

Get that baby set up properly, nut slots properly cut and lubed, check the frets for level
    and fret end protrusion. All this is straightforward and fairly simple. What you have is a
    guitar that's straightforward and simple. The best kind of Les Paul to have IMHO.
    (I don't like fancy, shiny guitars). My two SGs are both specials.

Anyway, congratulations on an excellent find. Now let's see some more pictures.

9. eS.G.

eS.G. Well-Known Member

sweeeeet great score !!!!! great guitar!

10. Col Mustard

Col Mustard Well-Known Member

If you never had a faded special before, these were the working man's Gibson's...
    Gibson saved a lot of employee time and labor by applying the faded finish, and they passed
    the cost savings along to us. These Gibson guitars are genuine Gibsons with all of the
    virtues of the brand, EXCEPT for the deep gloss lacquer finish, and the inlays. When new it was issued
    with the Gibson 490R and 498T pickups, an excellent pair, and the same p'ups stock on
    Lesters and SGs costing five to ten times what you paid. Happy yet?

The fadeds have a thinner and softer finish, it's lacquer but without grain filler and with much
    fewer coats. You can dent it with a fingernail, but dont do that. They don't cost as much, but they sound just as good.
    You can pay $3000 for a Les Paul guitar, ...or $4000 or $6000 and only get cosmetic differences.

So to me, getting one of these for small money gives you a guitar that will thrive where the fancier instruments fear
    to tread. If you set up and play a high value Lester in some of the kind of dives that I've had experience it, you could
    get targeted and robbed. Who needs that? The audience will never know or care about the difference between
    your faded special and some other guy's expensive Access or R9. The audience will only care whether your
    music's any good or not. Rock on...

11. flatrockmobile

flatrockmobile Well-Known Member

Nice. I know you will enjoy it! I've always had a love for the flat top all mahogany LPs

12. DrBGood

Oh yeah ? Can we see them ?

13. flatrockmobile

Last edited: Nov 11, 2016
  14. DrBGood

That's a century old thread. We need new pics of that gorgeous DC. There are never enough photos of Double Cut flat tops around here.

Here are some of my flattops. The middle one unfortunately ran away to the West Coast.

[​IMG]

alexander paul likes this.
  15. flatrockmobile

I never get tired of seeing that concoction you made from the First Act! Talk about lemonade from lemons!!!

DrBGood likes this.
  16. Biddlin

Biddlin Well-Known Member

OP, nice guitar.

17. DrBGood