NGD! 2006 G-400!

Discussion in 'Epiphone SG' started by NomeX, Nov 12, 2017.

1. NomeX

NomeX New Member

After getting my 2013 Gibson Future Tribute SG, I started looking at Epiphones for my gig guitars. I found this locally, but bought it online before someone could snag it.

From what I found, this is a 2006 G-400. From the set-neck and custom label in the back, could this be a 1966 Reissue? It has Grover tuners and the Batwing, which lead me to this conclusion and why I snapped it up.

The neck feels thicker then my 2013 Future Tribute, but that fine, as it lends it's own unique feel and I play it differently because of it. The frets are nice and wide with plenty of life in them.

When I saw this online, the bridge pup was flipped, but this was corrected before I picked up the guitar. The bridge pup seems to be angled slightly towards the bridge and I read this occurs sometimes when people put a Batwing on a ring/half guard.

Here's the pics, hope you guys can help me figure this out. I haven't pulled the strings and taken a look under the guard- I've had too much fun noodling the past few hours.

This thing feels as good as my Future Tribute!

dexspeed, SG FIRST TIMER and Biddlin like this.
  2. Biddlin

Biddlin Well-Known Member

I used some foam rubber to "level" my epi batwing pickups.

NomeX likes this.
  3. Bonzo21

Bonzo21 Active Member

What country/factory are UC serial #s from?

4. NomeX

NomeX New Member

Thanks! I read that earlier. Anyone happen to know what G-400 I picked up? Recent reading says this is a short neck joint. Action is nice and low. I prefer satin necks, so I will probably hit the neck with some steel wool.

5. NomeX

NomeX New Member

China, Unsung, according to the 'net.

Seeing as the PO lost a tone knob, I feel like changing out the electronics since I'd have to buy a new set of knobs. I'm in no rush since everything works, and the pots don't scratch. My circuit-breaker on/off instrument cord doesn't want to fit in the jack, despite using a similar one at my Dad's place earlier. Weird.

6. plankton

plankton Active Member

Looks like a '66 G400 if it's all stock. As far as I know they're the only set neck Epi SGs with the full pickguard. The Pro version has it too, but the truss rod cover says "SG Pro". The Grover tuners are original spec on that guitar as well.

Nice purchase, I've got the '66 Pro and it's a great guitar.

7. DrBGood

DrBGood Well-Known Member

Nice find !

Foam under the bridge pup like Biddlin suggested is the way to go. As for the Custom Shop label in the back of the headstock, it doesn't mean much. Half the Epis I've seen, have it.

8. SG FIRST TIMER

SG FIRST TIMER Active Member

Nice guitar. The neck is the reason i bought mine. Feels better than any guitar i've owned.

9. DrBGood

Is the '66 G400 neck bigger than the regular run of the mill G400 ?

SG FIRST TIMER likes this.
  10. DrBGood

Don't use steel wool. Remember you have some nice magnets on that guitar that will attract the little steel particles. Not good ...
    I use Scotch Brite pads, they are real good at giving the neck a nice satin surface. I use it on all my guitars.

[​IMG]

dexspeed, Raiyn, NomeX and 1 other person like this.
  11. Biddlin

Biddlin Well-Known Member

+1

12. NomeX

NomeX New Member

That's why I tape the pickups! Like when I file frets! (I forgot about the Scotchbrite, I usually use blue) I haven't tried other G-400 necks, but this is definitely thicker than my 60's slim asymmetrical neck on my Gibson Future Tribute. the Current 1966's have Coil Tap, mine does not. the Features that made me think 1966 were the set neck (and the lower one at that), the tuners, the inlays, the custom/limited label, and the full pickguard. The only thing that makes me think the Batwing may not have been stock is the bridge pup tilting towards the bridge. Eh, it sounds good, plays nice, if I don't find out which model it started as, I won't care later.

When I get around to changing the strings, I'll shield and possibly get new pots. I still find it odd that this jack does not fit my plug when all my other guitars do, including some Sterling and Fender MIMs.

I can't believe I'm already looking around for another one to put p90's or Fat Cats in or possibly a PRS SE Soapbar, like DrBGood.

13. DrBGood

I'm pretty sure it came with the batwing. Can't find an aftermarket batwing that will fit a G400, with holes for the bridge posts. Every one I saw had the fret board to neck pup gap wrong.

14. NomeX

NomeX New Member

Sounds good! There's something about this guitar... I fell asleep on the couch playing. My Dad, who followed me along this SG trip, with his 2015 SGM, is now looking at Worn G-400's.

15. SG FIRST TIMER

I dont think it is wider than average, but i think it is thicker and more rounded on the back. Kind of a semi-baseball bat neck. I wear a mens large glove and i find the neck fits me better than most necks i touch.

16. DrBGood

Really ? Good to know. BTW I wasn't talking about width, but girth, thickness. Can you measure the thickness from the top of the freboard ?
    Thanks

17. SG FIRST TIMER

Sure, I can get you that. I've got a tailors cloth tape around here some where, so i could also give you the actual girth at specific frets if you want. Might be tonight but probably tomorrow. Movie night with the spousal unit tonight.

Last edited: Nov 15, 2017 at 10:43 PM