NGD: 2009 SG Standard (Lollar/Faber content)

Discussion in 'Gibson SG' started by TubeStack, Jul 28, 2019.

1. TubeStack

TubeStack Member

I received this 2009 Standard in a trade a little while ago. Love the chunky neck and overall feel of it, just a great playing guitar. I put in a nickel Faber iNsert locking ABR bridge + posts and tailpiece + studs. Also had Lollar High Wind Imperials installed and the PCB replaced. Shimmed the pickups with foam so they sit more even with the strings and put on some Pyramid Nickel Classics.

The Lollars are incredible, wow! Perfect pickups for an SG. Very addictive and inspiring, just can’t get enough of this guitar right now. :cheers:

F3E6BA7A-A3D4-4A26-9AAE-4A8DDEDDA40B.jpeg

2. arcticsg

arcticsg Well-Known Member

Beautiful SG! :smile:

Glad to hear your mods are workin' out for ya. ;)

TubeStack likes this.
  3. papagayo

papagayo Well-Known Member

Nice SG Standard, Faber hardware is well made,

TubeStack likes this.
  4. cerebral gasket

cerebral gasket Well-Known Member

Nice!
    Any particular reason the screws on the ABR-1 are facing the tailpiece? Most people who downgrade a perfectly functioning Nashville to ABR-1 do so for aesthetics rather than function especially when inserts are involved rather than plugging the holes and installing threaded posts directly into the wood.

Daniel.S, arcticsg and koaguilds like this.
  5. TubeStack

TubeStack Member

Thanks, guys! Yes the mods really make the guitar special, and the Faber stuff is killer. :cheers:

6. HackeIommi

HackeIommi Active Member

Good deal :cheers: Hope to hear the sound too.

TubeStack likes this.
  7. TubeStack

TubeStack Member

At first I tried it with the screws facing the pickups, like my 335, but was getting notes fretting out on bends on the B string. Flipped it around and it worked fine, no more fretting out. Looking at Faber's install instructional video, the guy positions it the same way. Seems Faber sets the saddle heights/radius that way?

My R9 also came with the screws facing the tailpiece. Works for Billy G's Pearly, works for me, too. ;)

syscokid and cerebral gasket like this.
  8. cerebral gasket

cerebral gasket Well-Known Member

I was just curious because I'm so used to seeing screws on the Nashville facing the tailpiece and screws on the ABR-1 facing the pickup. There is no right or wrong way, whatever works best for the individual. All that really matters is that the saddles are in the correct place so that the notches are under the correct string and the radius is set accordingly.

I think the design of using threaded inserts for the bridge posts on the newer ABR-1 is a great idea as it seems that it would make for a better anchor point to prevent the bridge from leaning forward which is typical of the older ABR-1 design where the bridge posts were screwed directly into the wood. When you think about it, Tailpieces and Wraparound Bridges have always had threaded inserts, so makes you wonder why they never did that with the early ABR-1 bridges to begin with.

koaguilds likes this.
  9. Steve D

Steve D Well-Known Member

If I had to guess it's because the original ABR-1 was desiged to work on both solid body and hollow body guitars and they could provide one post for both if they didn't use a mounting bushing that only worked on solid bodies.

Here's an old late 1950s ABR-1 that I came across by dumb luck, you can see how they packaged them. A rosewood block that the the posts threaded into for the hollow bodies, or you'd toss the rosewood base and screw the posts right into a solidbody.

By the way, people like to get modern wireless models because the old wireless ones are supposed to be better tonally they say. The thing is, the modern ones work better. They are machined a bit tighter so that the saddles stay in if you break a string. On this 1950s one if you break a string the saddle just falls out, maybe to never be seen again. That wire was a godsend back in the day!

IMG_0036.JPG

Last edited: Jul 31, 2019
    cerebral gasket likes this.
  10. papagayo

papagayo Well-Known Member

11. koaguilds

koaguilds Well-Known Member

As an option to the Nashville conversion to ABR-1 craze, if anyone wants to change their Zmak cast Nashville bridges to Nashville's made of machined steel, brass, or aluminum I can vouch for both Pinnacle and Kluson USA. Kluson is a bit more expensive and I suspect that is actually who is machining the Pinnacles.

These are every bit on par with Faber and Callaham and allow both post and saddle adjustments via allen/hex wrench instead of phillips or flathead drivers.

I have the machined steel versions made from a single billet and they do indeed add PRESENCE and chime and most likely will never collapse. I have also used the machined bell brass model on a non SG and it was VERY nice.

Another thing I like about them is they are pre notched to the correct string spacing on Gibson's at least back to 2011. And notched to the proper depths to keep the radius intact. I'm not sure when gibson standardized their string spacing on the SG's and Les Paul's as I tried one on a 2004 SG Special Gloss and it had a different spacing altogether. Real wonky straight from the Nashville factory... I couldn't tell what the difference was all about- outside of my level of tech knowledge.

https://www.philadelphialuthiertool...lle-tom-guitar-bridge-for-gibson-les-paul-sg/

https://www.kluson.com/kluson-usa-r...-matic-bridge-with-brass-saddles-details.html

Last edited: Jul 31, 2019