NGD - 2017 Faded T

Discussion in 'Gibson SG' started by Kabrijj, Jun 12, 2018.

1. Kabrijj

Kabrijj Active Member

NGD - 2017 Faded T

or, The Continuing and Seemingly Neverending Adventures In Guitar Junkie-dom, Episode #8472: The Rewards and Pitfalls of Ordering (Yet Another!) SG Without Strings & Hardware To Be Assembled By Your Humble Narrator

Fourth time's the charm, right? I'd had the itch for another SG for a while, particularly a brown one after my last foray... and finally one popped up via Stratosphere.

%24_57__98566.1527260511.1024.768.jpg

Honestly, I was a little hesitant to buy another guitar without strings on it (but only a little: I am, after all, a unrepentant guitar junkie with a predilection towards the SG); my first from the Stratosphere was a fine guitar -- a 70's Tribute -- but I just never gelled with it. My second, also from Stratosphere, had some issues which I eventually overcame, and I really dig it now. The third I bought used from craigslist, and... well, I'm trying to forget that one all together.

At any rate, Stratosphere has a fantastic return policy, so I was fully prepared to string it up and either send it back or take my time and deck it out like I wanted to.

I might have preferred a 2018, since the "Worn Bourbon" looks a little lighter than the '17s Worn Brown, at least in pictures... but you know what they say about beggars and choosers.

%24_57__74090.1527260512.1024.768.jpg

So this one popped up, and the last few I'd seen on Stratosphere's website tend to go quick. I do really like the grain on it. It's a little more interesting (or at least, less uniform) than some I've seen, and the glue lines aren't terribly obvious.

%24_57__35172.1527260516.1024.768.jpg
    What the hell, right? It's only a guitar. So, I bought it and waited.

The abbreviated version: UPS delay, expected delivery time pushed back, fantastically packed by Stratosphere, frantically opened by me, and then: the smell! I do love the smell of a brand new Gibson.

Already having tuners, pickguard, pickups and most other parts, I ordered a bridge/tailpiece set while I had the digital wallet open. I opted for the locking chrome that (I believe) comes on the HP models. I'll tell ya what I think of them, later...

But first!

sIMG_20180612_192820.jpg

Coming in at an assembled weight of 6.15 lbs, this little number is incredibly resonant unplugged, and a joy to hold.

I really love the neck on this one. Wasn't sure how I felt about a maple neck, but I really dig it. Gibson apparently used a glossier finish on the older ones (using my other Faded, an '05, as my reference point), and the neck is thinner too, but it's very smooth, very easy to move around on, and it just feels "right."

Again, comparing it to my '05, I imagine the maple contributes to the smoother feeling -- it's not open-grained like mahogany, and since the Faded series don't use grain filler, it feels more like a "fully finished" Standard in the smoothness aspect. Needless to say, I fell in love with this neck almost immediately.

sIMG_20180612_192756.jpg

It may be a little top heavy, but when I'm standing up and using the strap it fits me like a glove. No neck dive here (a nice suede strap always helps).

As most junkies, I spend my weekend nights NOT going out with friends to take in the nightlife, NOT being a contributing member of society, but staying up in the wee hours, alone with my habit.

sIMG_20180609_200822.jpg

On a serious note, if you've ever re-wired a guitar from scratch or will in the future, I highly recommend doing the harness first. Essentially, take a piece of paper and light rub/mark where the holes are in the guitar. Flip it upside down and use it as a template to poke holes into a small cardboard box. Then you can put the components in place while you wire as much as you can, but with so much more room and maneuverability than if they were inside the guitar.

sIMG_20180609_203607.jpg
    Then you can pop it in the guitar, attach the pickups and the bridge ground, and you're off and running.

sIMG_20180612_192731.jpg

Went with the "witch hat" style knobs on this one. I wanted it to have a more vintage vibe, which (in my mind, anyway) these knobs give it. As soon as I knew I was keeping this one, I did order pointers and re-pro knobs (with "vol" and "tone" labels on the top; these ones I had laying around... when the others get here I'll see what I like more. These ones are pretty nice!)

sIMG_20180612_192728.jpg

Here you can see the locking bridge/tailpiece, as well as the John Birch Magnum 4 & Hyperflux 5 pickups.

Being a fan of Mr. Iommi, I bought these pickups a while back and was just waiting for a chance to try them out... If you buy a guitar just because you have an extra set of pickups... you may be a junkie. :naughty:

(Of course, that wasn't the only reason I bought the guitar -- I may be guitarded, but I'm not a complete idiot)

And here's where my previously tranquil sailing waters started to get choppy.

First, these pickups have a ton of polepieces. I'm not sure why (I mean, they look cool!) or what affect they have on the sound, but they're plentiful, and they're tall.

And they hit the strings when I play above the 14th fret or so.

The neck pickup is as low as it will go, yet the low E is still hitting the poles. I briefly thought about routing out just a tiny bit of wood to allow a better channel for the wire to run (and, hopefully, give me enough room to lower the pickup)...

But then I realized by sticking some foam under the pickup (a methodology frequently espoused on these very forums), the pickup's orientation changed, and the poles are free & clear of the strings, no matter what fret I'm playing on.

sIMG_20180612_192837.jpg
    I mean, it's CLOSE... but it worked.

But the more I play it, the more I think these pickups aren't for me. They're definitely on the hotter side (~12K and 15K DRC), and while they sound great with distortion (very articulate), the clean tones are a little more juiced up than I'm used to.

I'll keep 'em in there a while yet, but I'm already thinking about putting others in the guitar and these ones up on Reverb.

After all, I'm a junkie, and I've got a decent stash to choose from:
    I've got a set of Lace Sensors (Wino's Lifers, which I'm excited to try);
    I've got a set of 57 Classics (always a good choice);
    I've got a set of Duncans (Pearly Gates, which might be nice);
    And a set of 490 R/T (a proven combination in my world, although it brings me dangerously close to mirroring my 2005 in terms of a feature set).

Time will tell on that front.

And as far as the locking bridge/tailpiece goes... I bought them because I'd used TonePros locking stuff in the past, and I really like them. This set, made by Gibson, was a little cheaper... rookie mistake, opting for the less expensive option instead of the tried and true.

The Gibson stuff is substantially less intuitive or user-friendly. The TonePros stuff is great: set the height like normal, lock it down, boom. These ones are pretty tricky to dial in. Once they're in place, it seems like they should stay put just fine, but I kinda wish I'd paid a bit more and went with the TonePros.

Live and learn, right? :cheers:

TL;DR

Got a new guitar, it's great and I love it. John Birch pickups are nice, but not for me. Gibson's locking bridge/tailpiece is not my favorite.

2. pancake81

pancake81 Well-Known Member

Wow great write up, and a cool piece. Love the color, and the witch hats fit right in. Very interesting pick ups, although it sounds like they didn’t work out for you. But man, they look cool as hell.

I am a huge fan of the Pearly Gates, just perfect for me. Very versatile in my mind, but is basically hits the sounds I like right out of the box.

If you don’t mind me asking, where do you order your reproduction knobs from

3. Kabrijj

Kabrijj Active Member

There's the rub: I have no idea where I originally sourced these knobs. I've had em in my parts bin for probably years. I think I probably got em when I got my Tele, trying to pull off a Muddy Waters vibe (and they went right back off: didn't and don't like em on a Tele).

The ones I ordered (and haven't yet received) are All Parts.

I'll post some A/B pics when they arrive.

pancake81 likes this.
  4. arcticsg

arcticsg Well-Known Member

Wow... NICE job!!

Congrats and HNGD to ya! :smile:

5. syscokid

syscokid Well-Known Member

Enjoyed reading your honest review. Good tip on wiring outside of the guitar, too. Congrats... :cheers:

6. Kabrijj

Kabrijj Active Member

Had today off work, and this guitar went from having 44 polepieces on the pickups to zero.

sIMG_20180613_200324.jpg

Put in the Lace pickups, called Wino's Lifers. I know "Strat People" either love or hate Lace Sensors (I've always thought they had their place), but these ones ain't for no Strat People! They're based off the Drop N Gain pickups, but tweaked by Wino Weinrich (The Obsessed, Saint Vitus) to his specs. Surprisingly, they've got a higher DCR -- so still high output pickups -- but they seem to jive better with me, for whatever reason. I'll keep 'em in a bit longer.

BONUS! Was able to get the action a touch lower (about 1/64" for those keeping score at home), thanks to not having any pole pieces to worry about.

Also added a 2-ply truss rod cover.

sIMG_20180613_200341.jpg

And the new knobs came in, so I put the pointers on, the knobs, and swapped out the poker chip for one with white text.

sIMG_20180613_200336.jpg

For pancake81, and anyone else who may be ineterested:
    Here's a few shots of the old witch hat knobs, and the ones from All Parts.

sIMG_20180613_135207.jpg

The ones I had previously (unknown source) have a set screw, while the All Parts ones do not. The mystery knobs have white text, the All Parts is slightly silver. And of course, the unmarked and concave tops of the mystery knobs vs the All Parts have top labels. Interestingly, the All Parts go from 10-0, while the unknowns go from 10-1. I think that, ultimately, made me go with the All Parts knobs.

Plus, the mystery knobs don't sit right on top of the pointers: they rub on it, and it makes turning the knob friction-y (that's a word, right?). I know I could take some pliers and bend the pointers, but I'd just installed them and didn't want to remove 'em again. I spent longer aligning them than I'd care to admit: the guitar OCD kicked in, and wanted to position them just so.

sIMG_20180613_135219.jpg

Of course, no guitar assembly/build is ever easy, and the All Parts didn't quite fit the pots right, either. They would fit snug enough to not spin freely on the pot, but if you turn the guitar over they'd fall right off. A few small bits of teflon tape snugged them right up.

7. cerebral gasket

cerebral gasket Well-Known Member

You did a great job putting that SG Special Faded together. Witch Hats are awesome.

[​IMG]

Last edited: Jun 13, 2018
  8. pancake81

pancake81 Well-Known Member

Great write up, again. That is for the detail. Love the witch hats, the all parts one look the part much better.

Guitar OCD, we all suffer from that right? It’s not just me..?

Guitar looks great. I miss the look of the original pick ups. Very unique and distinguishable (just going on appearances).

9. Kabrijj

Kabrijj Active Member

I hear ya on that one. Truthfully, the wild look was a big reason I wanted to try those pickups (plus, of course, the Tony Iommi factor), but the sound has to trump the look. For me, anyway... so those pickups went up on Reverb.com for someone else to try.

I will probably still do some pickup swapping on this one... I kinda wanna try a Duncan Phat Cat in the neck with a traditional humbucker in the bridge... who knows what I'll settle on? Hopefully the guitar will stop me, and at some point say "Hey! I like these ones best, stop there." :cheers:

arcticsg likes this.
  10. Col Mustard

Col Mustard Well-Known Member

Really nice job... I love this color for an SG.
    Also, Witch Hats are very retro and look great on a faded, which is supposed
    to look slightly retro as well.

I like the clean lines of the pickups under those covers. The Iommi ones were too
    busy for my eye. Also those pole pieces were too close to the strings. The magnets
    might choke the sound like that IMHO. It's much better to install a set that actually
    fits, because a pickup that powerful might sound better when dropped farther
    down into the body. So it's good that you didn't weaken your SG by routing the
    body any more.

Now it's time to decide the project is finished, and play some music.