NGD: 2017 SG Special Faded T

Discussion in 'Gibson SG' started by Rich Cuellar, Oct 12, 2019.

1. Rich Cuellar

Rich Cuellar New Member

I just acquired a 2017 SG Special Faded T in good shape for a good price ($500) and I love it! I also recently bought a 2019 Epiphone Pro SG, which was a fantastic guitar for the money, but I returned it and bought the Gibson instead. I guess I just wanted a Gibson! It was used and the PO had fitted a Seymour Duncan Super Distortion, but I wasn't into it so I found a '57 Classic and had a good luthier install it and set-up the guitar correctly. I ordered a better 3-ply pick guard to dress it up a little. Plays like a dream. I found a keeper!

Attached Files:

gypsyseven, Jbvan, Hector and 6 others like this.
  2. musicman2242

musicman2242 Active Member

Love it! Really like the small block inlays. Congrats!

Rich Cuellar likes this.
  3. PixMix

PixMix Well-Known Member

Congrats, that's a great looking Special. I really like thin "faded" finishes; something about the open grain and the way they wear makes them appealing to me. Definitely on my radar.

Sweetums and Rich Cuellar like this.
  4. Rich Cuellar

Rich Cuellar New Member

Yeah, the grain and faded finish look great to me also. The whole guitar kinda looks and feels like a piece of vintage furniture(: The only thing Im not sure about is the pick-ups. The '57 classic pups seems a bit aggressive compared to my Strat Highway One. I mostly play vintage Chess-era blues, any good rec's for a classic vintage blues pup set?

5. PixMix

PixMix Well-Known Member

I have '57s on two guitars (SG Standards both), and they sound different enough to make me doubt they are really the same, or that the wiring is the same. On one of them they are very fat and lacking definition on the neck and middle, while on the other one sound much brighter and clearer, played clean straight on the amp.

On a guitar I owned previously (ES 135) they were very unbalanced - thin and harsh on high strings, very muffled on the low ones.

I say as long as they don't do the "blanket over the amp" thing, everything else is workable, lower the pickups, use volume and tone controls, set your amp eq, pedals etc.

However, compared to strat pickups, they should sound more powerful, with higher gain and less clarity. And of course, if you play with a band or along other instruments, it all ends up being how it sounds in that particular tonal context.

Rich Cuellar likes this.
  6. arcticsg

arcticsg Well-Known Member

Congratulations and Happy NGD to ya! :smile:

Rich Cuellar likes this.
  7. Rich Cuellar

Rich Cuellar New Member

Great reply, thanks. Im sure over time ill find a combo that works for me. It sure is a hell of a guitar for the relatively small amount of dough I paid for it. Was the 2017 a particularly good/bad year for SG's? The quality of my particular model is good, but Ive heard stories of poor quality control on pre-2019 models. Mine has the circuit board, but I don't see that as being any kind of issue.

8. Astral Traveler

Astral Traveler Member

Nice! Congratulations!

Rich Cuellar likes this.
  9. PixMix

PixMix Well-Known Member

I don't believe in "good vs. bad years". If you like the specs of a particular model, and specs tend to change every year, and if you like how the specific instrument plays, looks, sounds, then you got yourself a keeper. However, generally speaking, 2017 line is quite liked by knowledgeable members of this forum.

Rich Cuellar likes this.
  10. Rich Cuellar

Rich Cuellar New Member

Actually, I believe mine is a "Worn Cherry", not a "faded"?

11. Biddlin

Biddlin Well-Known Member

Congrats. I have several SGs and like the 490/490 combo and P-90s for most blues classic rock applications, but 57's are considered the milder humbucker option and are quite versatile.

Rich Cuellar likes this.
  12. Rich Cuellar

Rich Cuellar New Member

Here she is with a nicer pick guard and toggle plate. Funny how these little fix-up details make it look so much better! This guitar has a specific mojo to me for sure. I just love it. I have a gorgeous USA Highway One Fender Strat that plays like butter that I haven't touched since I bought this SG.
    [​IMG]

Jbvan, PixMix, papagayo and 1 other person like this.
  13. papagayo

papagayo Well-Known Member

Beautiful SG !

Rich Cuellar likes this.
  14. gypsyseven

gypsyseven New Member

Congrats! Cool strap btw...;)

Rich Cuellar likes this.