NGD 2017 SG Special HP has arrived

Discussion in 'Gibson SG' started by Fumble fingers, Jul 10, 2019.

1. Fumble fingers

Fumble fingers Member

And what a POS as delivered from eBay !!

unplayable and dirty as Fugg like it was left outside for 2 years

Big old dent in the middle of the upper neck by the headstock that was left out of the photograghs and not mentioned in the ad , F bar chord and you feel it on your thumb

String action .250 and I'm not kidding .250 , lowered to .200 just by going from Standard E to standard D

Neck relief was .120 , after two full turns on the truss rod and sitting overnight it's down to .035 so I will probably adjust tonight again and see if I can get it too .010

Pickups were hitting the string if you were on the 14th fret or higher

I spent hours trying to get it set up and still not done but haven't given up yet either

Strap button location sucks big time , what was they thinking ? , worse neck dive I have ever seen , if I keep this guitar I will relocate the button I guarantee it but will see how it is after I install some regular tuners first all provided I don't send it back to eBay

I will keep fine tuning and when my Tech gets off vacation in a week I will see if he can do anything for the dent on the upper neck near headstock , at this point I'm still debating to send it back to eBay and will probably wait until I hear what my Tech has to say and make a final decision

I'll get some pictures later and wish I would have taken a few pictures before I cleaned it

Last edited: Jul 10, 2019
  2. Fumble fingers

Fumble fingers Member

This is a fantastic guitar in excellent condition. Just never got around to playing it.

Comes with:

Gibson SG

Gibson Gig Bag

Owners Manual

Strap

Gibson Quick Repair Kit

Auto Tuner Charger

-auto tuning

-locally setup (intonated, neck is oiled)

There is one noticeable scuff in the u of the left horn, and a line that did not chip the paint at all on the back that is only visible with a light. I just wanted to point them out, so I included pictures of them.

Basically brand new, with new strings.

^^^^ This is what the add states and says nothing about the big dent in the neck ^^^ I will post some pictures tonigh

3. papagayo

papagayo Well-Known Member

What a story ...

If you are happy that' s great !

4. arcticsg

arcticsg Well-Known Member

Sorry to hear that! :/

Ask for refund and send it back.

5. Fumble fingers

Fumble fingers Member

23C411A7-97AF-4216-892C-BE92D92FF540.jpeg

Attached Files:

6. Fumble fingers

Fumble fingers Member

I got the relief down to.025 and I think I’ll let my Tech take over from there , I spent more time tweaking and have the action pretty low now , oiled the fret board and tweaked pickups some more and really starting to like it

7. Fumble fingers

Fumble fingers Member

8. Fumble fingers

Fumble fingers Member

Having trouble uploading pictures but the above is the dent that was undisclosed

9. Fumble fingers

Fumble fingers Member

10. HackeIommi

HackeIommi Active Member

I hope one way or another this story gets a happy ending.

Dale likes this.
  11. Fumble fingers

Fumble fingers Member

I have it set up pretty decent enough now that I was able to play it for an hour or so last night and I do like the guitar , wish he would have disclosed the dent on the neck but for the most part I'm starting to really like the guitar , at this point I have to decide if the dent bothers me if it can't be steamed out or repaired , now that the truss rod is adjusted close the neck has stabilized . I paid 700.00 plus 30.00 shipping and figured I would have a 100.00 in changing out the tuners so it's not like a paid a lot for it but the Seller was a little deceptive which pisses me off ..

Reason for buying was to get a inexpensive Gibson that I would feel comfortable with to gig and not be the end of the world if something happened to it as it would break my heart if I hurt my Robot or 2003 61 Reissue on a gig

12. cerebral gasket

cerebral gasket Well-Known Member

I had a 1970 SG Junior in the past that had a fat neck. One time I hit a home run with it and the ball left a divot on the back of the neck as seen to the right of the ruler pictured below.

[​IMG]

Last edited: Jul 12, 2019
    Dale and Fumble fingers like this.
  13. e-man

e-man New Member

That guitar has a lot of potential. Sometimes the best companions are the ones you rescue. The important part is you're starting to like her...

Fumble fingers likes this.
  14. Fumble fingers

Fumble fingers Member

I am going to keep it , tweaked some more last night , I got the Nut adjusted to my liking then re-adjusted the Bridge to get string height where I want it , re-oiled the fret board again with PRS fret board conditioner and it just soaks it up like a sponge , neck is staying stable , I have a gig tonight so I won't mess with it again until Saturday but anxious to get the tuners replaced so I can re-evaluate the strap button

HackeIommi and Dale like this.
  15. Col Mustard

Col Mustard Well-Known Member

Good luck with this...

If it helps, I will tell you that when I buy a used guitar,
    the first thing I do is check it over very carefully (not to find deal breaker faults with it)... I do this to try and figure out why the guy sold it. So I can put that right.

I never expect a used guitar I bought online to be
    right for me... I expect to do some work and perhaps pay
    my luthier to do it... in order to make the guitar mine.

I never buy a guitar unless I want what that guitar can
    do. So, because I want what that guitar can do, I don't
    tend to cry any tears when I find what caused the seller
    to let it go. I say, "AHA! THERE IT FRACKING IS..."
    and then I put it right.

And then I play that sucker.
    IMHO the dent can be steamed out. Or else, if you like the instrument, you can become fond of the dent because
    maybe that's why the previous owner let it go. If you
    can play it with a dent on the neck, you are doing better
    than the old owner. Let the dent add to the guitar's
    mojo...

$700 for an SG Hollow Point seems fair.

Neck dive is an issue that I would have to address... Talk to your tech about it. Raising the strap button on the rear strap ought to balance the guitar better... but also check the weight of the tuners you have on.

I'd be driven to change the tuners out in favor of a
    set of Kluson style machines... Grover Vintage Keystones, or Tone Pros, or Gotoh... any of these will
    be the correct weight for the SG Design. If they are
    lighter than what's on there, that will help the neck dive problem.

I'm glad you are liking your new instrument.
    That's a lot of what makes our music succeed, or just suck. Confidence and a good relationship with the gear.

Last edited: Jul 12, 2019
    Fumble fingers likes this.
  16. Fumble fingers

Fumble fingers Member

I moved the strap button from the Horn to conventional location of a 61 Re-Issue tonight and it was a huge improvement even with the auto tuners still in place it single handily cured neck dive and I don’t even have a good strap on it yet ! This guitar just keeps getting better and better , I think I’ll order some Kluson Revolution locking tuners tomorrow, my tech comes back from vacation and will be in this Saturday do I plan on being there

arcticsg likes this.
  17. Fumble fingers

Fumble fingers Member