NGD 2018 SG Jr! With some questions...

Discussion in 'Gibson SG' started by Boy_Narf, Apr 27, 2018.

1. Boy_Narf

Boy_Narf New Member

Hello Everyone!

I've been drooling over these since they were announced late last year and finally scraped up some cash to ordered one. Aside from the tackiest rear logo in the world (ONLY A GIBSON IS GOOD ENOUGH), I think it looks pretty sharp. I'm actually a fan of the vintage font on the front. Anyhow, the guitar sound killer. Cleans are shockingly pristine (finally some competition for my tele). That said, the finishing is well, very Gibson [​IMG] IME of course.

It came fresh out of the box with scratches on it. Not just a few like all over the body (must a been a Friday for the buffing guy). Also there were a few larger ones around the pickguard. I thought it was just a smudge and tried to wipe it off only to add another mark with my nail (woops, this is a very soft finish!). There is also what looks to be grain tear out on the fingerboard near the joint causing the finish to be lumpy from the 12th or so fret all the way up. Also around the same area, it seems like the rosewood may have shrunk leaving a bit of a lip as opposed to a smooth transition from the neck to the FB.

I remember when I bought my LPJ nearly 10 years ago, I went through the same thing. First one was a disaster and I ended up ordering another one which had it's own finishing issues but sounded even better (so I kept it).

Nothing on the SG inhibits the play-ability, but this is a decent chunk of change. I haven't bought a guitar at this level/price for nearly 10 years so I don't mind splurging a bit for something unique, but I expect quality. I was ready to return this thing immediately after I got it home, but I gave it a second chance and man does it ever sound good. What do you guys think, and how is Gibson QC these days? Is this kind of "what you get" from an American Gibson?

I see quite a few folks have already picked up one of these, so I'm curious how the fit and finish is.

Thank everyone,

lawrev likes this.
  2. Kabrijj

Kabrijj Active Member

Where did you buy it? I'd first and foremost check with them on their return policy. Cuz I'm with you in that regard: you drop that much cash on a brand spanking new guitar, you want it to be right.

The one I got was definitely not scratched. It sounds like yours is; got any pics? I feel like some super light swirl marks are almost a given in some nitro finishes I've seen... but I'm talking super light swirl marks. Hard to define where one person's swirl becomes another's scratch.

The fit is pretty damned spot on, on my Jr. I'm curious to see pics of the 12th fret area you're talking about...

But I will agree with you on the finish in general: it's soft! I pulled the knob off using just my fingers, and somehow managed to put some light scratches in the surrounding finish. Weird.

If you LOVE the guitar, maybe who sold it to you can offer some kick back. In my experience, the '18 Jr is a killer guitar... but again: you spend that much money on a new guitar, you want it to be, well... new.

Keep us posted, and post pics! :cheers:

3. Boy_Narf

Boy_Narf New Member

Hey! Thanks for the reply. I got it from L&M and they have a full 30 day return policy. I called back and asked if they had another one in stock (they don't) and the guy tried to talk me out of swapping it as he said if I love the tone I might as well just get used to the defects. Says he sees lots of Gibson QC issues, and it's near impossible to get a perfect one.

----------

Scratch. Looks like someone slipped with the screwdriver, as it's on the pickguard plastic and then onto the body.

https://www.dropbox.com/s/7rwfrxjtmu7abkt/IMG_20180427_195915.jpg?dl=0

Not sure what happened here. Looks like the nitro was over the nut and has already flaked off.

https://www.dropbox.com/s/9hjrriw75lrqyxa/IMG_20180427_195939.jpg?dl=0

And here are my best effort to capture the "waviness" and the "ledge". The ledge actually starts around fret 6, but the waviness starts at fret 12.

https://www.dropbox.com/s/bvpeq9dt4t3klw8/IMG_20180427_195950.jpg?dl=0
    https://www.dropbox.com/s/w3picthpha1aeul/IMG_20180427_200000.jpg?dl=0
    https://www.dropbox.com/s/xb1k8cuvhb2qzvi/IMG_20180427_200006.jpg?dl=0

Let me know if the pics don't work. Couldn't get a Google Pictures link to work, and DB would not embed so hopefully these will show up.

Am I being too picky? Or is this all normal stuff?

Last edited: Apr 27, 2018
  4. cheshiergrin

cheshiergrin Active Member

It seems like all the guitars that end up in online deals have a lot of these flaws. It's like the ones they know will sell in a store are in much better shape or these are actually 2nds. I would tell them to take it back and try to find one you see for yourself first. I always wonder if they are getting these discounted for being so flawed and then selling them at a "sale" price.
    Anyhow just my thoughts.

lawrev likes this.
  5. Boy_Narf

Boy_Narf New Member

Well I didn't get it for a sale price that's for sure. I had them special order this from the main warehouse. I think I will ask them to bring in another one, and if the sales guy tries to talk me out of it again, I'll just return it and go to another store.

I also just found out they have one at the north location. I'll try to swing by tomorrow and see how that one looks. Like I mentioned my LPJ took two tries and has been my number one for nearly 10 years now.

One thing I will say, is that although the SGJR and the older 60's LPJ reissue claim to have the same neck, the SGJR is a touch thinner and wider.

Also this thing needs some 11's!!! what the heck shipping with 9's??? :)

I'll report back tomorrow after I check out the north location. Thanks for the replies guys. Honestly if I knew how good SG's sounded, I would have skipped LP land all together :)

lawrev likes this.
  6. Kabrijj

Kabrijj Active Member

Well, that little "issue" at the nut pretty common, in my experience. As I understand, they spray with the nut installed, so there's finish over the base of the nut, but the top usually has that little line. Makes it a bitch to remove the nut, but that's pretty normal. I definitely wouldn't worry over it.

Sometimes you'll get a" ridge" from where the neck & fingerboard woods expand/contact at different rates... Not much you can do about that, I think.

The waviness at the edge of the fingerboard, though... haven't really seen that before.

That and the scratch(es) I'd say, in my experience, aren't "par for the course." That being said, i think they're only minor finish flaws; nothing structurally unstable or detrimental to function.

I think the real question it comes down to is: does it bug you? Is it going to annoy you enough to where it takes away from enjoying the playing aspect? Or does the guitar's strengths (or personality, if you will) outweigh some minor finish issues?

That's up to you.

I'd keep playing it for now, see how you feel in a couple days. You've still got the better part of a fairly large return window open, should you decide to go that route.

7. Kabrijj

Kabrijj Active Member

Also: good plan on seeing another one in person. I think that'll make a decision easier :cheers:

8. Worblehat

Worblehat Active Member

I was in a similar situation with my Epiphone Iommi SG recently. It came with some minor scratches on the finish and one of the pickguard covers. They are really small and only noticeable when looking really closely at a specific angle in good light. As it was impossible to get a replacement without waiting for the next resupply from Epiphone I finally kept it but got a respectable discount from the retailer.

Now these flaws don't bother me any longer. But as I said they are really minor. Your scratches and that weird looking fretboard are probably way more noticeable. So in your place I would get a replacement if I can. Paying that much money for a guitar you should be perfectly happy with it!

Last edited: Apr 28, 2018
  9. SG standard

SG standard Well-Known Member

My experience in recent years is that Gibson's QC is very hit & miss. I agree that taking a look (and play) with another one would be wise, and give you more to base your decision on. In the past I was offered a good discount on a new guitar which arrived with a minor flaw - one of the advantages of online shopping, as the retailer will incur a cost in a return & exchange. I was really happy with the guitar, so I took the offer, and the minor flaw has never, ever bothered me at all...

But it can be a tough call - aren't these about the same price as a Standard? Being a more basic model at a premium price, you'd think they'd be a bit more careful with the finish...

cheshiergrin and Worblehat like this.
  10. cerebral gasket

cerebral gasket Well-Known Member

It is ironic how these were originally the least expensive basic SG model and now cost more than SG Specials. I have seen vintage 1960’s SG Juniors with asking prices as high as $4000.

11. lawrev

lawrev Member

I purchased my SG Jr. recently (not new, but used "mint", so I paid several hundred less than the new Gibson price). The fit and finish on mine is excellent - no problems with the paint, neck/fretboard and the connections thereto, even had the inside cavity checked out when I had a new Creme Tone wiring harness installed and that area looked finish. It plays great, love the neck, love the Gibson script and the back of the headstock script (though some do not like that). The case was excellently constructed and no issues with that too. It was a fantastic purchase and very happy with it. You'll see it as my avatar.

I understand that Gibson quality is hit and miss, and I have not had a problem in that realm, and purchased most of my guitars online. I guess I have been lucky.

But I certainly support you in getting a better built one. As we all know, the SG JR is not the least expensive in the Gibson stable anymore, so my requirements are pretty high. Post pictures when you settle on another!

12. Boy_Narf

Boy_Narf New Member

Hello!

So I checked out the JR at the other store today and it was much better. The neck was flawless all the way up. Even that nitro over the nut was properly trimmed at an angle as opposed to the first one that was chipping away. There are two issues on this one however. The nitro just past the nut and onto the fingerboard looks like it has clouding/air bubbles under it. I rubbed it down for a few seconds and it seems to have improved, but I'm not sure how long it will last till it's flaking off. There is also either a piece of hair or a crack around the same spot. I only had a few mins to investigate so I'll take a closer look tomorrow. The real issue, well sort of issue is that from fret 13 on, there is about a half inch of over spray on the fingerboard, both top and bottom. I called my guitar tech and he said he could clean it up super easy during the initial setup, but come on! This literally would have taken 10 seconds to fix in the factory, how did it get through QC? I was thinking that since this one is dang near perfect (has a cooler grain too), I would do an exchange, but should I really be expected to get my tech to "clean up" a brand new guitar? He typically levels the frets, and dresses the ends (if required), and cleans/oils the FB on all the guitars I take to him so it's not a huge deal. But still! Come on Gibson!

Inspector: "Oh hey, there is some spray over on the fingerboard of this one, did the tape fall off?".
    Nitro Guy: "Oh crap my bad, let me run it back to the neck/binding department".
    Neck Person: "Oh hey no worries... 10 seconds later, there I scraped it off, make sure the tapes is sticking better next time you spray".
    Nitro Guy: "Oh for sure, sorry about that".
    Inspector: "Thanks! much better!".

= Happy customer!

I'm going to give it a rip through tomorrow and will decided if I take that one, or try again with another order. This other store didn't tell me to deal with it, they said I should return it immediately if I'm not happy. I think I will be ordering from them in the future :)

lawrev and SG standard like this.
  13. glvourot

glvourot New Member

I bought mine back in January from L&M at the main branch in Vancouver. I missed out on the one they had and got them to do a store transfer from the store in Calgary North. It has some of that "waviness" on the side of the fingerboard as well for what its worth. I didn't really think about it till I read this post . Other than that there are no issues with it and I am really happy to have bought it. It is funny though, that I kind of expected something to be wrong with it because it is a Gibson. I got a hundred bucks off because they price matched LA Music but it was still more expensive than a 2017 SG Standard they are trying to clear out. I might just stay with the hybrid strings it came with , even though I use 10's on my other guitars. No regrets, I have been playing it about 90% of time since i got it. It complements my 61RI very nicely. I hope you get your situation fixed to your liking so you can just play the thing....

lawrev likes this.
  14. lawrev

lawrev Member

A local guitar center here in the DC area are selling new 2018 standards on sale for $1300 USD, which is as good deal considering that's about the price for a brand new SG Jr. But I must say that I love the stripped down devilish nature of the Jr.

15. Boy_Narf

Boy_Narf New Member

Calgary North! That's where I found the second one in stock! It's also where I bought my LPJ way back in the day. I'll be heading there around 1600 today to thoroughly investigate the second one, and give it a proper play through. I think the spray over on the FB is okay as it can easily be scraped off, but the bubbling under the finish on the side of the FB is what's worrying me. Also the finish on this guitar is nothing like any other guitar I've seen. It's looks like a thin strip of plastic that runs down the length of the FB. None of my 10+ other guitars have this, they all seem to adhere to the wood much better.

As I sit here and think about this, I'm actually considering just returning it and looking elsewhere. Might even Order one near the end of the year to see if things have been improved. Then again, there is a naked sg with P90's that has been calling my name for about a year as well.

Hmm...

16. lcw

lcw Active Member

What are you guys paying for your ‘18 Jr’s??

17. lawrev

lawrev Member

Mine was about $1100 USD with the original Gibson case and all the case candy/hardware. The guitar was in used/mint condition and the case was in new condition too. No scratches or dings etc. on the one I purchased. I suppose if I waited a couple more months they'd probably drop to $950 USD approximately but I didn't want to wait.

lcw likes this.
  18. Boy_Narf

Boy_Narf New Member

With tax mine was just over $1600 CAD tax in.

That said the situation has been resolved. Guitar returned. Killer sounding but just felt like I was getting ripped off due to the finishing/attention to detail. Also, the guy I was dealing with wasn't amazing. Super pushy and made me feel like an idiot. Won't be shopping with him again.

Onto the next one! Plenty of axes out there.

lawrev and lcw like this.
  19. lcw

lcw Active Member

Any issue with getting them intonated with the wraparound tailpiece and lack of tune-o-matic bridge?

lawrev likes this.
  20. lawrev

lawrev Member

No issue with mine. My guitar tech was highly complimentary of my guitar. Had him put on the dial pointers and the Creme Tone harness in the control panel (though he said he could build me a better harness for what I paid CT. ha ha). Next up is the pickup and the studs/tailpiece, at some point. The pick up first.