NGD - 2018 Special (Stupid Deal of The Day Aftermath)

Discussion in 'Gibson SG' started by Kabrijj, Mar 12, 2019.

1. Kabrijj

Kabrijj Well-Known Member

I saw on this lovely (and potentially financially dangerous) forum a while back the '18 Specials were a SDotD a while back... the day after, apparently. I ended up bookmarking the page and refreshed it every day, and sure enough: they came back last Friday.

Since it was a stupid price, and since I'm kinda stupid myself, I pulled the trigger.

It arrived today.

Haven't had a chance to give it my setup -- hell, I haven't even tuned it up yet! -- but had to share some pics.

sIMG_20190312_185557.jpg

I really like these new Gibson gig bags (and apparently I'm not the only one! :smile:)

sIMG_20190312_185638.jpg
    Initial impressions look good.

sIMG_20190312_185647.jpg

Like, really good.

sIMG_20190312_185918.jpg

That's some nice grain on that mahogany!

sIMG_20190312_185737.jpg

Even the cat is impressed.

sIMG_20190312_185800.jpg

MMmmmm.... mahogany....

sIMG_20190312_185701.jpg

Cat inspections reveal no headstock breaks in transit.

sIMG_20190312_185704.jpg

Maybe not the most figured fretboard, but who cares? The body is sweet!

sIMG_20190312_185805.jpg

I do like the color of this guitar, a lot more than the internet pictures made me think I would.

sIMG_20190312_190019.jpg
    I also like how they include a "poker chip" toggle washer. It's a nice touch.

Like I said, I haven't set it up yet... but if it sets up halfway decent, I think I'm gonna like it. That grain on the upper horn is a very cool bonus, but the guitar itself feels nice.

I mean, it feels like an SG... :cheers:

Nothing particularly starkly different jumps out as to why, but for whatever reason it feels a little different -- sleeker, or thinner... maybe it's the 24 frets I'm just not used to seeing on an SG...

But I'm fairly stoked on it. Too bad I gotta work tomorrow, or I'd spend some time with it -- give a nice setup, and finally hear what mini hums sound like in an SG (that's my biggest "justification" for buying this one: I didn't yet own any guitar with minis. Yeah, it wouldn't hold up in court... but that's my story, and I'm stickin' to it!)

:dude::dude:

darth_tar, jjudas, Girl_Rock and 15 others like this.
  2. Col Mustard

Col Mustard Well-Known Member

Congratulations on an excellent choice...

I bought my SG with mini hums on the same kind of impulse...
    Mine was in 2013, which seems like ages ago by now.
    Mine was the first SG I'd ever seen with block inlays and mini hums.
    I was playing acoustic and bass all through the '70s, so what do I know, eh?

When I saw this advertised, I was immediately attracted. I figured the
    instrument would have a unique tone, which means it would NOT sound
    like everyone else's... To me, that's a virtue.
    April 2017@100.jpg
    And so it proved. The unique tone of an SG with modern mini humbuckers
    is irresistible IMHO. Mine has a great growl in the low tones (with no mud), tough mids
    and clear and musical high frequencies, with no ice pick to the ear.
    Body@100.jpg
    Hard to beat... IMHO anyway. I hope you fall in love with yours like I
    fell for mine.

Complaints I've seen about this model is that they don't sound like
    some other guitar. I don't get that. If you want some other guitar,
    then buy that. If you want a unique tone you can make your own, then
    this SG with mini hums might be for you. *grins

By the way, yours with the lovely wood grain is one of the most
    beautiful SGs I've ever seen. Excellent choice, and especially at that price.

darth_tar, cpower, Rain and 1 other person like this.
  3. PixMix

PixMix Active Member

Very cool, HNGD! I still don't know how I stopped myself from buying one. That was a great price!

Col Mustard likes this.
  4. arcticsg

arcticsg Well-Known Member

Congrats! Happy NGD! :smile:

5. Dale

Dale Well-Known Member

Nice! Let me know how it sounds.

6. Chubbles

Chubbles Well-Known Member

Congrats, it looks sweer!

Does you cat play guitar too?

7. GrumpyOldDBA

GrumpyOldDBA Well-Known Member

Thats a beast sweet congrats!

8. SG standard

SG standard Well-Known Member

Lovely SG! I have to be careful, I think I could easily be tempted by a Special.

Also impressed by the case - for everyday use that looks very practical. One of the things I find annoying with the Gibson hard cases is they're so specific to each model. I've even got an SG Standard case that my SG Supreme doesn't fit into. That gig bag design looks as though it would take other models, yet it's still very protective.

Dale and PermissionToLand like this.
  9. J.LaGrassa

J.LaGrassa New Member

Looks great, Congrats!

10. njpaulc

njpaulc Active Member

Beautiful piece of wood, if it plays as good as it looks you got a real winner.

Dale likes this.
  11. nico1975

nico1975 Active Member

very nice SG, I like the "kind of vintage" look, the finish, the block inlays, the mini-hum and and, last but not least, the truss rod cover with "Special" :D congrats! :cheers:

Dale likes this.
  12. PermissionToLand

PermissionToLand Well-Known Member

I really like that they are silkscreening the crown on the Special now. It's a nice touch that adds a lot aesthetically, IMO.

Dale likes this.
  13. Kabrijj

No, but they are pretty harsh critics. :cool:

This case is pretty awesome. I've always sort of cringed with the old gig bags: they were just a little too snug, and they never really accounted for the angled headstock. This one is soft, plush, roomy but snug, and the little velcro tab on the neck support is a nice touch. But the neck area is surprisingly rigid! Not as much as a hardshell case, but I was surprised. And it's probably all for the better: Musician's Friend/Gibson didn't use ANY packing material inside the box at all! :shock: Just the case... but it did just fine.

Ha, there's a small part of me that wants to get a custom made truss rod cover that says "Stupid" on it! It's probably too much an inside joke though... :facepalm:

I can't take much of the credit for that... just luck of the draw, ordering sight unseen online. I agree with you, though: it's a looker! :h5:

Last edited: Mar 13, 2019
    SG standard and Dale like this.
  14. Kabrijj

Thanks to a crazy storm today (they call it a "bomb cyclone" or explosive cyclogenesis... no joke), the power went out at work and we went home. After a white-knuckle commute 3+ times as long and some close calls, I figured I could either stare at the sideways blowing snow outside, or setup a new guitar!

Guess which won?

Overall it setup really nicely.

sIMG_20190313_143554.jpg

This fingerboard was really thirsty!

New strings & a quick tune up got most of the way there. I did need to tighten the truss rod a fair amount, and lowered the bridge 1/64-2/64" but it plays killer.

sIMG_20190313_150818.jpg

And it sounds great, too! I didn't get to plug into the big amp and try it out an appropriate levels (ie, loud), but I dig these minis.

It seems a large complaint against these modern ones Gibson uses, especially among internet Firebird owners, is they are too damn hot. I dunno... maybe if I had a vintage Firebird to compare to -- and this were a Firebird, not SG -- I'd concede a point there, but they sound pretty good to me. I like the comparison of "a pissed off Tele" and this ain't too far off: nice & crisp, with a little bit of twang on the bridge pickup, but still weighty & girthy like a humbucker should be.

My one complaint at this stage is the bridge pickup might be down as low as it can go, and ideally I think I'd like it just a touch lower than it is -- it's pretty close to the strings. Maybe next string change I'll pull it and see what's under the hood, but still: it sounds really darn good right now as it is. I'm digging it!

15. Colnago

Colnago Member

Firebird pickups are very different.

16. PermissionToLand

PermissionToLand Well-Known Member

It could be one of the legs is sitting on the wire, preventing it from going any lower.

17. backporchmusic

backporchmusic New Member

Pickup height--the way these are installed is different. The height screw goes through the pickup ring and a spring, but below that is a gum-centered nut. From there, the screw travels into a metal plate thing in the pickup cavity that allows for up/down adjustment. So...when you adjust height, the pickup ring and spring do not turn, based on the gum centered nut.

Now--if that gum-nut is too low on the adjust screw, it can 'bottom out'. You need to remove the pickup and check that it is sitting in the right spot relative to the spring and the pickup ring.

Whew. That was a lot to try and explain well. Hopefully I did. And it also might just be sitting on the wire like the poster above said!

Dale likes this.
  18. cerebral gasket

cerebral gasket Well-Known Member

Nice SG Special !
    I had a 2016 in the past and the Mini Humbuckers were not hot at all.

[​IMG]

These recent model SG Specials have a metal baseplate at the bottom of the cavity with threaded holes in the middle and at the ends to accept either Mini Humbuckers or P-90's.

[​IMG]

Dale and arcticsg like this.
  19. Kabrijj

I dig those little metal plates... make the decision to go to P90's easier (not that I am planning on it... just nice to know it's there :D)

I'm sure it's a simple fix to lower the pickup; the "hardest" part for me is going to be taking the strings off: I'm not ready to burn a set of strings just yet -- too busy enjoying playing it at the moment! :cool: It'll get done... just not a burning need at the time being.

I am also aware Firebird pickups are different than mini hums -- not just appearance but construction. But one of the bigger issues more 'bird owners seem to have is the modern pickups are MUCH hotter than vintage ones. Ultimately: that's a topic of discussion this thread doesn't need to dive into :cheers:

Dale and arcticsg like this.
  20. Steve D

Steve D Well-Known Member

It's interesting that the pic you took after the setup makes it seem it has a darker finish than your first photo. I guess it's lighting difference. Which would you say is more true to life?