NGD: 2019 SG Standard in Pelham Blue

Discussion in 'Gibson SG' started by Worblehat, Jan 23, 2020.

1. Worblehat

Worblehat Well-Known Member

[​IMG]

Up until recently I had 3 guitars: a cheap acoustic that I haven't played for a long time, a Yamaha Pacifica (my first electric) that hasn't really been played since I got my Epiphone Iommi two years ago and well...my lovely Epiphone Iommi SG.
    A while ago I decided that I don't want to have any guitars that I don't play. so I sold the acoustic and the Pacifica.

Nonetheless I had the need for a second guitar, preferably an SG, so I can have one in standard tuning and one setup for D#, D and C# standard (mainly to play Black Sabbath songs :dude:).

I took my time with this decision, considered a lot of options, safed up money and eventually planned to get a lower end Gibson SG like the current Tribute. I never thought about getting a Standard because: 1. too expensive, 2. I like satin finishes, 3. I don't like gloss cherry at all and already have a black SG.

But then the guy at my local guitar store showed me a 2019 Pelham Blue Standard. It was made for the japanese market but they somehow got hold of a single copy of it. Although it had a very good price tag and I liked the look I neglected it at first because it felt quite heavy and I presumed that it would neck dive like hell with those locking grovers on the headstock. I didn't even gave it a try.
    But at home I regretted it. I should have tried it to really know that it was not the right one for me. So I called the store a few days later, asked if they still had it and went there again.

And man...it was worth it. Played like butter and felt like home right away. Never tried an SG that was so well balanced despite the heavy tuners. I couldn't find any flaws in quality, it was just perfect.

Still the (already good) price was a bit more than I wanted to spend. But because I hesitated and due to a minor scratch in the body finish (it was demoed before) I got offered a good discount. Got it for the money the SG Tributes usually go for here. Awesome! I would have never dared to dream of owning an SG Standard some day and certainly not in this color. I love it.

It was produced in May 2019 and these are the differences I noticed compared to the other current standards:
    * 61 pickups
    * small pickguard
    * knobs without silver inlay
    * brown Gibson hard case (!)
    * locking tuners

I am not to fond of those heavy tuners and might change them to some light weight vintage ones some day. But for now I leave it like that. The only thing I changed are the strap buttons as I like to use the Shaller security locks.

I figured out that this model is not only sold in Japan but also at a few selected shops in the US. Never seen it here in Europe though.
    If anyone knows more details about this model I would love to hear it.

[​IMG]

The rosewood fretboard is beautiful, with some nice stripes. I just oiled it because it looked a bit dry. And I really like the binding which is really bright white.
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

Japanese case candy included. Anyone knows what is written on that black sticker?!
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

Attached Files:

• 1.jpg
      1.jpg
      File size:
      292 KB
      Views:
    • 2.jpg
      2.jpg
      File size:
      212.4 KB
      Views:
    • 3.jpg
      3.jpg
      File size:
      268.4 KB
      Views:
    • 4.jpg
      4.jpg
      File size:
      173.5 KB
      Views:
    • 5.jpg
      5.jpg
      File size:
      241.3 KB
      Views:
    • 6.jpg
      6.jpg
      File size:
      220.3 KB
      Views:
    Last edited: Jan 23, 2020
    indeedido, SG John, DanB and 17 others like this.
  2. gball

gball Well-Known Member

That's a beauty, enjoy it! I have a 2017 Pelham Blue Standard (with '57 pickups) and it has become one of my favorite guitars.

Interesting about the Japanese market/instructions. This is literally a current "Exclusive" model from AMS/ZZounds:
    https://www.zzounds.com/item--GIBSGSA19

Wonder why a Japan-market guitar ended up there, but that doesn't matter - what matters is you got it and love it.

AngelDeVille, Bettyboo and Worblehat like this.
  3. Spiral

Spiral Member

That's a beauty. Nice deep cutaway bevels, and you can't go wong with pelham blue. Very nice :cheers:

Worblehat likes this.
  4. 19sixty3

19sixty3 New Member

Man, that thing is KILLER! From the very top of the headstock to the bottom strap button and everything in between that SG is perfection. Play it loud...!!!

Worblehat likes this.
  5. Worblehat

Nice. Glad to hear that. Mind to share a picture of it if you have one at hand?

Apparently that store managed to get a bunch of new Japanese-market guitars from Gibson. I have no idea why. According to the salesperson this was not the first time it happened.
    I always thought SGs with this color look really awesome. But I was a bit hesitant whether I really want to own one. Now I am pretty sure: I won't ever see enough of this :thumb:

6. Astral Traveler

Astral Traveler Active Member

Very nice! Congratulations!

Worblehat likes this.
  7. jonnyfez

jonnyfez Member

Give the tuners a chance. I never thought I'd like them either but it really makes string changes incredibly fast.

Worblehat likes this.
  8. koaguilds

koaguilds Well-Known Member

Worblehat and 19sixty3 like this.
  9. gball

gball Well-Known Member

Only pic I think I have of it...wish I knew how to make it smaller. I got this guitar in February of 2017, just after Zzounds first started selling the Pelham Blue ones.

[​IMG]

Worblehat likes this.
  10. arcticsg

arcticsg Well-Known Member

Congrats man, that’s a beauty! :smile:

It may have been put together 6/19 according to inspection card, but sounds and looks like a 2018 Standard SG model to me, and it specs out as such. Curious... What does the back of the headstock say, does the serial start with 18? What does the rest of the card say, like the Model No? Have a pic of the whole card? Did you get the original box with it? Post a pic of the Gibson label if you can.

Again, Congrats and Happy NGD to ya! [​IMG]

Bettyboo likes this.
  11. Joncaster

Joncaster Member

Yeah that's beautiful!
    Awesome find!

Worblehat likes this.
  12. Worblehat

Good advice. I will definitely leave them in there for a while and see how I like them. No complains so far. I never used locking tuners before and would probably not buy them to upgrade a guitar. But when they come with the guitar anyway why not give them a try. I generally like tinkering with a guitar and do some mods but this one I will probably just keep original.

Interesting I haven't seen the batwing version before. This one is much closer to the other current Standards. Also has 490s.

Unfortunately I can't view your picture. Looks like it's in a private album?
    I always resize and attach photos directly to my posts via "Upload a File".
    If you are using Windows, here are instruction how to do the resizing:
    https://www.wikihow.com/Resize-an-Image-in-Microsoft-Paint

13. Worblehat

Right...I didn't notice that it actually has the same specs as the 2018 Standard.
    I left the original box at the store, so now photo of the Gibson label.
    The serial number starts with 11309, which apparently means it was stamped on the 130th day of 2019 (10 May). So it really is a 2019 model. Maybe they just continued to produce the same guitar as last year.
    The model no. on the inspection card is: SGSA19PBCM3. Any idea what the last three letters stand for? Could also be CH3...not sure.

14. 58pit

58pit Well-Known Member

SLOBBER!!!!!!!!!!!! BOTH OF THEM!!!!!!

Worblehat likes this.
  15. arcticsg

arcticsg Well-Known Member

The last three are “CH3”

C = Chrome
    H = Hardware
    3 = factory run or special run. I have noticed every SG that has been painted out of the base standard colors for that model, or is a special run for a distributor, the model # ends in a 3. Otherwise this number is almost invariably a “1”.

What you have is a Gibson Exclusive Run 2019 SG in Pelham Blue. They are actually 2018 builds from leftover parts, kind of the same deal they done with the Gold/Rose Exclusives at GC (except gold hardware and HP case).

Here’s all the info on your SG:

https://www.americanmusical.com/Item--i-GIB-SGSA19-LIST

16. Worblehat

Thanks a lot for this interesting information! Exactly what I hoped to get on ETSG :thumb:

Gibson has been doing these Pelham Blue Standard Exclusive Runs since 2017, right? Do you know of other years with SG Standards in Pelham Blue?

arcticsg likes this.
  17. Worblehat

:rofl:
    Yeah, I am really happy with this pair of SGs. It's everything I need.
    So GAS is gone for now... :fingersx:

58pit likes this.
  18. PixMix

PixMix Well-Known Member

Looks great! How do you like the '61 pickups?

Worblehat likes this.
  19. RhinestoneStrat

RhinestoneStrat Member

Worblehat likes this.
  20. papagayo

papagayo Well-Known Member

Congrats for this real Gibson SG , je suis jaloux.

You can upgrade tuners later, fast job and not expensive.

Worblehat likes this.