NGD '63 Hot Rodded Melody Maker

Discussion in 'Other Guitars' started by bwotw, Jul 5, 2019.

1. bwotw

bwotw Well-Known Member

Melody Makers are my favourite Gibsons; they're lightweight, play awesome, are affordable and it's cool to mod them exactly to your liking. I have a '65 cherry, a modern reissue that I stripped and refinsihed, and a couple of months ago I found this (I think) '63 husk for a good price and couldn't resist.

[​IMG]

Since my other two MM's are single pickups, single volume simple rock machines, I wanted this one to be a bit more versatile.

[​IMG]

• DiMarzio Super Distortion - Super 2 set,
    • 500k CTS pots (bridge tone pot not connected)
    • Two miniswitches for split-series-parallel operation
    • TonePros AVTII bridge
    • Grover tuners
    • Schaller S-locks
    • Gibson knobs and rings
    It's still not fully ready yet (minor setup things to go through, and I'd like to screw down the pickup rings too), but so far so good. There's nothing like a good Gibson with a Super Distortion through a Marshall, and all the switching options are very cool to play with! And I LOVE how this thing looks...

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

2. bwotw

bwotw Well-Known Member

Some pics of the build process... Not a pro by any means, but I really enjoy the process of modding, updrading and refinishing guitars. The ones I put some time and love into always end up being keepers

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Huntroll likes this.
  3. Huntroll

Huntroll Active Member

You may want to put a 2 inch piece of insulation on the braided cable that connects the pickup selector switch to the output jack.
    The way it is now, it looks like the outer braid could rub up against the terminals of the volume control.
    You can strip a piece of insulation from an old length of straight guitar cord.
    Then, with small sissors, cut it down the side, cut it to length and fit it over the braid in that area then tie-wrap it in place.
    That way you won't have to un-do any of the wiring thats there.
    You could just use electrical tape but tape gets nasty and comes loose over time.
    BTW, usually the long lead of the tone capacitor gets fitted with insulation to prevent it from shorting to ground also.
    Jam on !

Last edited: Jul 5, 2019
    bwotw likes this.
  4. bwotw

bwotw Well-Known Member

That's actually a great idea! I rushed the wiring and didn't have any tubing, and now I kinda don't wanna desolder the wires to insulate them. Not that there's any shorting-out happening now, but I'd like to make sure regardless. And cutting the tubing and tie-wraping it sounds like a great plan! I'm certainly doing that when I open her again, thanks!!:thumb:

5. Dave

Dave Well-Known Member

SWEET!

bwotw likes this.
  6. Herbie74w

Herbie74w Member

734FC1C5-76AE-4EE8-BA9D-E539F31B742B.jpeg I love melody makers as well. Here’s my modded 66.

bwotw and Piper68Special like this.
  7. bwotw

bwotw Well-Known Member

Man, what an absolute stunner! Would love to own one like this

Here's the guitar nerd in me coming... How come it has a bound neck? Did you add it? Can you list everything that was done to it?

8. Herbie74w

Herbie74w Member

3B417231-BA51-432E-92EA-44BEA98234AA.jpeg It started as a 1966 melody maker in Pelham blue finish. I bought it because I love the finish and one pick up guitars. I couldn’t get along with the narrow nut and odd neck shape.

9. Herbie74w

Herbie74w Member

8F190248-A3D8-4DDB-A59C-F3DB01404722.jpeg I had Dan from MojoAxe cut a new guard for a Humbucker using the Black, white, black, wide white and black vintage style pick-guard material. I installed a Seymour Duncan antiquity Humbucker. But given the neck issues which also included a low neck angle I decided to have the guitar renecked using the original fret board and truss rod. It now has a C neck profile and a 1 11/16 nut width.

Huntroll likes this.
  10. Herbie74w

Herbie74w Member

63555C25-22C4-4FE5-9AEA-BE4947F01E0D.jpeg
    Thanks man. I had Lay’s guitar do the neck work and went for a special type look with period correct binding and logo.

bwotw and HackeIommi like this.
  11. Huntroll

Huntroll Active Member

You're the KING Herbie !

You gave it the care and expertise every vintage GIBSON deserves !

And then some . . .

Those FRETS & BEVELS . . . MAGNIFICENT !

Last edited: Jul 22, 2019
  12. Supertwin1

Supertwin1 New Member

How many pickup cavities are under your pick guard? I have a '66 SG Melody Maker III(3 pickup)that I've modded for a single P90. The guitar weighs about 4.5 lbs. The neck wasn't a problem for me. What kind of $$ did you have to give for yours?

13. Herbie74w

Herbie74w Member

7AAAD242-CAD2-45F5-ADB3-4EE881350C11.jpeg It has two pickup routes from the factory. Had to widen the route slightly to fit the Humbucker. I paid 1100 for the guitar. And approximately another 1100 for parts and luthier work. I have a period correct case as well. So let’s say I have 2500 in it. It is my dream guitar.

Last edited: Jul 21, 2019
    bwotw, Chuteboxehero and HackeIommi like this.
  14. HackeIommi

HackeIommi Active Member

I think this guitar deserves her own thread. More detailed info, more pictures about every stage. Do that, please!

Huntroll likes this.
  15. Herbie74w

Herbie74w Member

Thanks it is my dream guitar