NGD - Another surprise to me in a Les Paul

Discussion in 'Other Guitars' started by Bob Womack, Jul 11, 2018.

1. Bob Womack

Bob Womack Active Member

This one has been coming for a while but it was still a surprise. It shouldn’t be: I’m on vacation and that is usually tough on the guitar fund.

I’ve had an early '70s Les Paul for forty-one years. It is a great guitar and I’ve basically conformed to it – Gibson scale is my home and the body sitting up under my rib cage feels like home as well. However, it is heavy at nine pounds, eight ounces. That makes it hard to sling for long performances and sessions. Also, the neck pickup position of 70s Les Pauls sounds a little harder than the vintages ones and the modern reconstructions. For a long while I’ve wanted a sweeter sounding LP for sessions, and one that was lighter.

This year I started checking them out and saving for one. I tended towards the LP Traditional model because they aren’t weight relieved and I wanted a fairly traditional LP. I’d gotten reasonably far along saving and then the fourth of July arrived and the guitar stores ran their sales. While I was in one store trying out LP Traditionals I asked to try the prettiest one up high on the wall and spent an hour with it. I really loved it. It had a great sound and feel and wasn’t very heavy. And then I discovered I’d made a mistake: this guitar was an LP Standard.

But Standards are weight relieved and have an asymmetrical neck carve and all these other weird switch options! Yes, but this one has a great sound, feels great, and is two pounds lighter than mine. But Standards cost a lot more than Traditionals. Well there is that. Then I discovered that this guitar was on sale, bringing it to very nearly the same cost at a Traditional. Oh, my. And the top was gorgeous, not too little flame and not too much and very 3-D. - pretty much the Goldilocks syndrome - just right. And I had a day left to think about it before the sale ran out.

I went home and thought about it overnight. Having planned to buy a used Traditional, there was going to be a financial gap here. So, using the store’s published used gear trade-in percentage and Reverb.com, I put together some older pieces of gear that might bridge the gap. What I chose is another, interesting story. I discussed the whole deal with my wife, as I always do, because she balances out my obsessions and impulses. She was actually enthusiastic. So off we trouped to the store.

Once there I looked up my salesman and told him I wanted to buy the thing with some trade-ins. He asked me to bring out my trade-ins, evaluated them, and then asked me what I was hoping for. I told him my goal, he worked the math, and we met in the middle. Voile’! After a few minutes of paperwork I was on my way, guitar in hand.

[​IMG]
    At the store - click to embiggen.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]
    Click to embiggen.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

I think this one will be getting a bunch of time in the studio.

Bob

2. pancake81

pancake81 Well-Known Member

Very nice, congrats

3. syscokid

syscokid Well-Known Member

Wow wow wow... :wow:. Beautiful color and flammage. You did very well on this LP... congrats :cheers:

To pickguard, or not to pickguard.... :hmm:

4. Hanover Fiste

Hanover Fiste New Member

^^^ Definitely--NO pick guard! Why cover up that pretty wood with an ugly, useless piece of plastic? The same goes for the poker chip, too.

littlerockdevil and DrBGood like this.
  5. DrBGood

DrBGood Well-Known Member

I'm with the newbie on this. No guard whatsoever on this beauty. Leave the chip in its bag too. A LP looks much better naked.

BTW, welcome Hanover Fiste

littlerockdevil likes this.
  6. arcticsg

arcticsg Well-Known Member

Congrats, what a beauty!! :smile:

The flame on yours is simply amazing! Mine looks a little weak in comparison.

You are going to love the way it plays and sounds!

Oh, and on the pickguard... I just can't bring myself to drill the holes for it so, yeah no pick guard here either, ;)

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Last edited: Jul 11, 2018
    syscokid likes this.
  7. Bob Womack

Bob Womack Active Member

Oh, no. Yours is lovely too. I would have been just as drawn to it.

Bob

8. PermissionToLand

PermissionToLand Well-Known Member

Nice score! That flame is something else.

9. Col Mustard

Col Mustard Well-Known Member

yeah, yeah, the flame is pretty and all, BUT I believe that you made
    an excellent choice by playing it. That's how you know, IMHO. When the
    guitar still calls you after you've left the building, and you go to sleep thinking
    about it, you do right by buying it without delay. Don't let that one get away.
    It doesn't matter what color it is. That fact that yours is so lovely is what we
    call icing on the cake. *grins

A guitar can be very pretty indeed, but if it doesn't come alive in your hands
    and enhance your music, it will probably get a lot of case time, and eventually
    be sold off down the river.

Anyway, congratulations. I don't hold with traditionalists in general, so a new
    weight relieved Lester sounds like a really good idea to me. I am used to shouldering a ten pound fretless J-Bass or a nine pound Precision, so I ain't no sissy, but I sure do enjoy playing my 6.75 pound SG.

Embiggen is a fun word, I learn something new ever time I come to this forum.

10. Bob Womack

Bob Womack Active Member

Thanks for your kindness, folks!
    Yeah, that one caught my eye as well. I love words that carry a smugly humorous feeling with them. :D The word was made up by writer Dan Greany for an episode of The Simpsons. However, it was later discovered to have been used with its very same meaning back in 1884, so the joke was on them!

Bob

Col Mustard likes this.
  11. Musekatcher

Musekatcher Active Member

Very nice. I think you made the right choice.

12. Col Mustard

Col Mustard Well-Known Member

maxresdefault.jpg