NGD At last - 61 Re-issue!

Discussion in 'Gibson SG' started by saxosim, Jan 8, 2013.

1. saxosim

saxosim Active Member

Evening All,

Well the guys on here who know me will probably know that I have been wanting a SG 61 re-issue for a long time now but real life and family commitments meant I just couldn't ordinarily quite stretch to one so I have been gradually saving for a used one over a few Xmas and birthdays and also sold a few unwanted guitar bits including my Fender electro acoustic.

Anyway it is here at last, bit of a story with this one, I saw it advertised last year and bought it online on a forum without really thinking about it (spur of the moment decision as you do, heart before head). Anyway the day after it arrived guilt set in and I realised I couldn't really afford it yet but luckily my mate was toying with getting an SG so he took it off my hands. Anyway luckily for me I got enough Xmas money to finally give me the rest of the funds I required to buy it back from him as he never quite bonded with it so it is mine at last.

What do you think? The neck is like butter and it plays really nicely. I am also really pleased that it is different enough from my modified Special in so many ways that it is a great addition to my collection

Sorry the photos are not great I took them with my iPhone, I will take some better ones this weekend :)

Cheers :)

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

2. nbeersiii

nbeersiii Well-Known Member

Very nice man! I know the feeling wanting one of those. I was gassing for one for a while too and the only one I had got the chance to play was a used 2005 model that was perfect in every way. When I finaly had the funds to get one the used one was gone. Every one i played after that seemed to have a really thin neck. Then I ran accross my SG classic and it was everything I wanted in an SG. I still like the 61s but the neck and sound from this classic is all Ill ever need. For Now anways. Glad you got the one you wanted man. It really helped me mentaly when I finally found "the one" I felt like I had reached a long awaited goal and a huge weight had been lifted and a large hole in my life had been filled. That may sound silly but thats the way I felt.

3. minotaur

minotaur Member

Looks like SG bliss....nice acquisition. Congrats on working up to it and making it happen.

4. saxosim

saxosim Active Member

Thanks guys I am over the moon with it and it was definitely worth the wait :)

5. Moose

Moose Well-Known Member

Fantastic looking guitar saxosim.

Cherry '61 re-issues are probably my favourite guitar.

BTW. How many turns are on those bass strings 4-6? I like to get two with a nice sharp lead angle over the nut and a good grip on the string

6. Biddlin

Biddlin Well-Known Member

SchweeeeeeeeT ! and congrats !
    Biddlin ;>)/

7. Relic61

Relic61 Well-Known Member

Way to go Sax! You have managed to do what I (and a bunch other people here) have been trying do for for years now, not only finally get a 61 SG RI but getting the right one that just fills that hole. I like the way you put that. Had similar stories of one in the store and liking at after playing it but the time spent thinking about it is always long enough to make 'that' guitar disappear before you can get back to close the deal. This just happened with a floor model right before Christmas! I know I should have bought it but I just don't feel comfortable dumping that kind of cash money on myself at that time of the year because it always seems money is flying out of the bank account and come the first of the year I'm always wondering "where the hell did thousands of dollars go?". Seems if its not that scenario its something else.

SO Sir, I congratulate you on finally finishing the game and winning. I know it feels wonderful and I hope you and you beautiful guitar (it really is F'n beautiful looking) have a long forever together. Peace & Best Wishes! B.

8. Susihukkanen

Susihukkanen Well-Known Member

Doesn't those 57 Classics sound awesome in that 61 RI? I really like that sound. :applause:

9. woodrow886

woodrow886 New Member

Welcome to the '61 gang. :)

I'm glad it all worked out for you in the end. It's a good day when you get guitar you've been after for a while...but when it fits into your collection as a different animal from your other axes, it's twice as sweet. :thumb:

10. saxosim

saxosim Active Member

Thanks guys for the great comments it is so nice to play I really can't put it down :)

Moose - thanks yes you are definately right there are too many turns on my lower strings next time I change the strings I will go for less.

The pickups sound great and give a nice balance in tone just what I was after and different enough from my bare knuckles fitted to my special. I may switch them out at some point possibly as I am curious to test out a set of Seymour Duncan Antiquities but will leave it as it is for now as I love it.

It has certainly been a long time of waiting but so pleased I got it eventually and the right way too in the end of waiting until I could really afford it, just pleased my mate took it off my hands last year and then lucky for me he didn't bond with it :)

Forgot to say with its 60s vibe and it already being 4 years old it has already got some natural ageing to it, the stopbar and bridge have aged a bit and have both dulled down loosing their shine which I like, if I do try a set of antiquities ever I notice they are available in an aged finish so I may try those to stick with the overall look to the hardware.

Anyway thanks again all no doubt i will be shall be favouring the 61 again tonight after work once the kids are asleep and I get a bit of time on my guitar.

Cheers

Moose likes this.
  11. imacpw

imacpw New Member

Congrats. I have one of those too and am really warming up to it. If you decide to swap those pickups, PM me; I'll put 'em in my Les Paul!
    =CPW=

12. BlackSG91

BlackSG91 Well-Known Member

I like the '61 reissues also with that short neck tenon which makes upper fret access feel effortless. Congrats on the guitar! Hope to get one myself, but I need to buy more lottery tickets.:thumb:

[​IMG]

13. BlackSG91

Barry, do you really need any more guitars? When it comes to guitars, you Barry are a crack-head!:wow::naughty: You need to sign yourself into G.A.(Guitars Anonymous) before it's too late.:hmm:

[​IMG]

14. Relic61

I aint done yet! Not until I have as many SGs as Kevy!
    [​IMG]

I better get busy huh!?!

15. BlackSG91

Both you and Kevy can sign yourselves in together at G.A. There's a huge void in both your lives and your filling it with nothing but guitars. Guitars, guitars, everywhere guitars!:jam::jam::jam::jam::jam::jam::jam: :jam::jam::jam::jam::jam::jam: :jam::jam::jam::jam::jam::jam:

16. BlackSG91

You guys should sell all you guitars and just stick with one, like this beauty here!:hmm:

[​IMG]

17. BlackSG91

And don't forget an acoustic guitar that covers all ranges.:applause:

[​IMG]

Last edited: Jan 15, 2013
  18. sgtbeefheart

sgtbeefheart Well-Known Member

Nice Strrrrrrrrrrrrat.

BlackSG91 likes this.
  19. nbeersiii

nbeersiii Well-Known Member

As far as string wraps go I always have no less than 4 on my low E and A and D and NO less than 6 on the G,B ,and high E. I dont want them to slip wich is a problem I have ran into with the G before. Doing this I never have a problem with my guitars going out of tune at all. If they are out its due to temp. I dont feel its overwound cause they dont overlap. To me this is the reason alot of people think they need better tunners cause they are not putting enough wraps on the string post. Thats my theory anyway.

20. Relic61

If you really want a string not to slip and hold perfect tune all night, you can do it without the winds. If I may share my technique;

Start with lining the tuning pegs eyelet hole/slot on a 90 geree angle to the string & then,
    Run the string through the eyelet or key slot,
    Bend the string where it comes out of the eyelet upward (toward the headstock end of the guitar) and run the string around the post in the same direction the tuning peg will turn when it is being tightened,
    Bring the string around the peg & under itself where it enters the tuning peg eyelet,
    Pull up on the string and bring it around itself where it first enters the peg & put a crimp in the bent around string,
    Now simply Tighten the string and use the force and tension from the string being wound to push down on the bent under & around part of the string which will prevent slippage.

The force and tension of the wind will pinch that string and hold it from slipping! Problem solved.

I personally do not put any extra turns in my winds because I use tremolos and have found that excess string on the posts will loosen (open the winds or coiled string) when depressing the bar and then take up that slack in those winds (loosened coil of string) as the bar is brought up which lends itself to that excess coiled string not always coming back exactly to the same exact posistion and making problems for vibrato use. I have always used this technique since I can remember. My guitars hold really good tune without lockdowns and & use various Vibrato sytems which also hold excellent tune when winding the strings like this. It is simple, easy, clean looking, reliable and instills confidence. It has just worked beautifully for me all these many years.

Let me know if all those words are confusing and dont read well. Sometimes I find it hard to write out instruction clearly enough so it is understood to somebody else. Anyway, it will work.

As an additional thought, I know some people like extra winds because they think it adds sustain or transfer of tone. If you like extra winds, You can still use this same technique but leave a little extra slack before putting the bends in the string, then start winding untill the slack is taken up & gone.

Give it a shot. Gear un teed.