NGD - Back in the SG Saddle Again!

Discussion in 'Epiphone SG' started by musicman2242, Feb 26, 2020.

1. musicman2242

musicman2242 Active Member

I just got a 2004 Epiphone G-400 this evening. I was able to score this on a trade for a Squier Standard Strat and a couple MXR pedals.
    I haven't plugged the G-400 in yet (it's late and i have kids and a wife), but she is definitely helping fill the void I had after selling my 2018 Gibson SG standard back in November.
    Acoustically this thing is loud, resonant and has a fantastic tone. I love the rounded neck, I have big hands and this feels very comfortable.
    The action and intonation is spot on and the fella I got it from even put a new set of strings on her.
    She is in very good condition for an almost 16 year old guitar. Just a couple minor dingd here and there.. no big deal to me.
    Over time I do plan on making some upgrades..the plastic nut for sure maybe other parts as well.
    There are only two things I'm not a fan of.
    1. The knobs. The top hats were replaced by previous owner with speed knobs.. normally I love speed knobs, but there is verry little room between them on this guitar. I see top hats or witch hats in this guitars future
    2. The previous owner moved the strap button from the back to the tip of the horn. The pictures he sent me of the guitar showed the button in the original location and he cracked and chipped the finish on the horn. I may move the strap button back, but I don't know if staring at the hole in the horn will bother me..
    Overall, I am very happy and grateful to be able to have an SG again. Can't wait to plug her in..
    Apologies for the crappy pic, Ill get better ones tomorow.

20200226_235739.jpg

DrBGood and Rich Cuellar like this.
  2. Rich Cuellar

Rich Cuellar Member

Congrats! I just did almost the same thing, I traded a Fender Strat for an Epiphone Elitist SG. I was missing one after selling my Gibson SG Special T.

musicman2242 likes this.
  3. DrBGood

DrBGood Well-Known Member

Great !

A red Sharpie is a Cherry guitar's best friend for hiding booboos. So for the horn hole, I say fill it with Plastic Wood, reshape to taste and colour with Sharpie.

Red Sharpie.jpg

4. musicman2242

received_264525674535623.jpeg received_3020326678019894.jpeg received_625046191402768.jpeg
    A couple decent pics and the horn button.. tried it with a strap today and I'm going to relocate that button... gotta round up a red sharpie...

DrBGood likes this.
  5. Dagger

Dagger Member

I've fixed a couple dings in the past with nail polish I know it sounds funny but they make nail polish in thousands of colours. Bring the guitar with you nail polish shopping and no I'm not kidding . Fill the hole with a little mohagany and wood glue or whatever wood you have kicking around "because it's such a small hole the wood shouldn't really matter" and paint over with nail polish let dry and repeat until you are satisfied.

dub-setter and musicman2242 like this.
  6. musicman2242

Four kids, all girls, and i never thought of this..lol
    This SG is incredibly neck heavy as well. I've never had neck dive issues with my SGs when using my suede back strap, but this guy want to go right to the floor regardless. I may have to consider different tuner options at some point

7. papagayo

papagayo Well-Known Member

8. musicman2242

Was it something I said? lol

9. Rich Cuellar

Rich Cuellar Member

I have Grovers on mine, same problem. Im putting vintage style Klusons on it instead.

musicman2242 likes this.
  10. musicman2242

Yeah, thats probably a good idea for down the road.. The nut will be the first thing to change

11. Rich Cuellar

Rich Cuellar Member

Not a bad idea. I usually blame the nut first. Mines a bone nut, what is yours on the G400?

12. musicman2242

It's the stock plastic one.. :(

13. Bill Moore

Bill Moore Member

I set my G-400 up for slide, and used the "Zero Fret" nut. I tuned it back standard last week, and took it to a jam, I like the sound of the open strings!