NGD. Edwards E-SG 120

Discussion in 'SG Copies' started by Satellitedog, Aug 26, 2017.

1. Satellitedog

Satellitedog Active Member

Ordered from Ishibashi in Ikebukuro, Tokyo. It arrived a month or two ago, have been playing it a lot. This is my second Japanese market SG copy, and I think I'm an actual fan of the SG design. not just the looks, but the whole thing.

I ordered this one for fear of a lengthy draught of affordable MIJ SGs due to the 2017 CITES regulation of rosewoods, and because my first SG copy, the Greco in the luthier's corner remodeling/refinish thread has been away at the luthier's workshop, and was going to remain there for the foreseeable future. Also, I ordered it because the Greco is quite heavy for an SG, so I wanted a typical lightweight example as well. This one is about 2,8 kilograms which is roughly 6.2 lbs, perfectly fine and likable.

I have to state I bought this with the express desire to have it refinished to an Aged Pelham Blue in the not too distant future. I'm not a fan of black SGs, although I do think it looks nice.

It has a great neck, very fast, but not too thin, more of a handful than the Greco's.
    The profile I can't quite pin down. It has the flat back to it at the headstock end, into a handfilling almost shallow C turning into a nice wide flat D at the neck joint, it is very comfortable.

The Duncan SH1-SH4 humbucker pairing is meaty and strong, not muddy, but the setup it arrived with just had too much output for my taste, so today I lowered the pickup height on both of them, but will only be able to listen to it tomorrow. I hope it cleans up nicely, will report. Many seem to dislike these pickups, and I'm willing to swap them to different flavours, but they sounded fine in a classic rock way. It does sound different to the Greco, not just due to the different pickups. they feel quite different, but I like them both.

HackeIommi, PixMix, DanB and 5 others like this.
  2. Paully

Paully Active Member

Sure "looks" good.

3. Satellitedog

Thanks, not quite sure what those quotation marks imply?

4. drown

drown Well-Known Member

Nice find. I'm happy with my Ishibashi purchases. They are one of the only reputable shops in my neck of the woods. Glad it worked out for you.

Will be curious to see if you keep it black or go to Blue and if you go for that nice greenish blue you were considering for your Greco. I liked that paint chip alot.

Satellitedog likes this.
  5. Satellitedog

Ishibashi are good (I dealt with Hiroaki, who's really helpful, but needs to polish his English a bit more), but they must have been neck deep in paperwork at their international customer service, as they forgot that they recieved the export permit... I mailed them two months after my purchase, to check if they were succesful, and they scrambled to ship the guitar, and when they sent me the pic of the permit, I saw it got there a month earlier... :-DDD

When Tom, the luthier finally finishes the Greco (I think I'll keep that one aged white) whenever that happens, I'll be taking the Eddy to him. It will be that greenish-blue metallic from the Greco thread (well one of those you saw), with a vintage tortoise guard.

6. vonserke

vonserke Active Member

[​IMG]

wow Satdog that looks great! HNGD! I say leave it alone, that dull black lacquer and the aged look, awesome!

7. Satellitedog

Thanks, vonserke!

It will stay black for a couple of months, that's for sure, but I'm not a fan of the finish. Also, it's a very common colour, I won't be decimating a rare subspecies :-)
    In the meantime, I think I'll be getting an old style tortis pg to make it a bit more special. It would fit both black and Aged PB. Problem would only be if I liked it so much I wouldn't want it refinished. Then I'd need a third SG for the APB... and who would want that to happen :)

One other thing I want to try is to see if I can get the top lacquer to develop hairline cracks. If it is a 120, it should have the nitro top layer (don't know whether it's nitro on poly, or just nitro), and the lacquered side portion of the neck binding has yellowed nicely, so it might be that. also it feels different to the Greco's finish, so I may get lucky.

8. Satellitedog

Quick update. I know it may sound like hating on Gibson, but I recently went to try a Princeton Reverb '68 reissue, and to keep it close to what I have at home, I went with a 2017 Cherryburst standard SG (well the only Gibson SG I found at the store to my surprise, probably the colour?), and I have to say the Edwards holds its own, and feels a lot nicer than the Gibby. My white MIK Greco also feels a little nicer than that particular example, probably due to the fantastic sustain it has, but the Edwards is more comparable weight- and soundwise.
    The Gibson is fine, it wasn't heavy, and it sounded good with the amp, but it doesn't look great with that high gloss finish and shallow bevels, nor the snow white binding (nibs or no nibs). It somehow looks cheap-ish, and plasticky. Also it was set up with 10s, which felt scrawny and limp, but that isn't the guitar's fault.

So I'm quite satisfied with the Eddie.

DanB, HackeIommi, bwotw and 1 other person like this.
  9. ruster1

ruster1 Active Member

Ishibashi look reputable, i am glad you have found a reliable source as EBAY is a crap shoot. Given the current exchange the prices seem reasonable. How has the shipping experience been with EMS or other services..and are there import duties or customs clearance fees?

10. papagayo

papagayo Well-Known Member

Nice MIJ copy '61ri , I looked at the pictures.

11. Satellitedog

Yeah it's a '61 RI style guitar, not an exact copy, but that's the closest Gibson equivalent I guess.

12. Satellitedog

Shipping was trouble free, packed safe enough. As for duty/customs, here in Hungary, they will stop anything above the value of $25 for a sales tax of 27%, that is calculated with the shipping costs included. Major rip off on used items (and everything else of course).

13. ruster1

ruster1 Active Member

Great to know...I don't think we have duties in USA from Japan.. Our new Chinese Tariffs will make those guitars less affordable..

have to trust your source for used guitars and having someone with experience is great.. the MIJ guitars look to be very well built.. I had a contemporary strat in 1985 made at FujiGen.. was an excellent guitar until I cut it up to put a Kahler on it. Neck was fantastic. I still have that guitar in pieces.. perhaps I should look for a new body for it..

Thanks for the info!

Satellitedog likes this.
  14. HackeIommi

HackeIommi Active Member

This is a nice score! Edwards guitars are really good guitars.

Satellitedog likes this.
  15. Satellitedog

Edwards are built in Japan these days (started out in a Chinese plant under Japanese supervision, then moved to Japan in 2010 or so, design and components seem to be the same, mine was probably built in China and inspected in Japan, but looks exactly the same as later equivalent models), so you should be able to import them from there with ease.

ruster1 likes this.
  16. DanB

DanB Active Member

Congrats on your new purchase! I did not know they made SG model guitars in Japan so I learn something new all the time On this forum. I agree with some of the others on this thread that with the new tariff wars with China the Chinese made SGS, and for that matter all the Chinese made guitars may become less affordable.

Satellitedog likes this.
  17. ruster1

ruster1 Active Member

Not sure what Epiphone will do.. prices were already creeping up and they have quite and investment there in the Qingdao Plant in China.. should really hurt business in USA for sure.. most likely the biggest market for Epiphone..

PermissionToLand likes this.
  18. DanB

DanB Active Member

Definitely a problem for Epiphone and it's customers, most of the Epi SGS and Les Paul models are made in China. I hope for the sake of the economy in general we don't get into a disastrous trade war.

19. PermissionToLand

PermissionToLand Well-Known Member

They already make about half of all Epis in Indonesia under Samick. I bet they move some production over there until after the next election and a sane president ends this nonsense.

20. ruster1

ruster1 Active Member

Good point..just move production..let china sell to Europe..indo to usa

I do differ on your opinion of this trade war.. as someone who imports raw materials for industrial use.. the barriers to entry into Chinese markets are such that "you cant sell them anything made in USA" due to prohibitive tariff and regulations.. they also insist that any manufacturing is done in combination as joint ventures where IP is stolen at will. As no one likes the methods this had to be done actually 30 years ago.. In any case.. China is no longer "low cost".. I would produce things in Indo or Philippines or VN if it were my call but making sure QC monitored everything. Without good wood and QC and some skills.. nothing happens anyway.. as long as proper wages are paid and employees benefit from prosperity.. everyone wins.. No a fan of how this trade war is going for obvious reasons.. but something has to be done about the unfair trade practices.. in fact the entire world has it better off than USA because of there silly VAT taxes.. just my 2 cents.. we do need some sanity in this world.. and more great economical guitars.. !!!

Last edited: Jun 21, 2019