NGD! Elitist SG Inbound!

Discussion in 'Epiphone SG' started by NitroSG, Oct 19, 2016.

1. DrBGood

DrBGood Well-Known Member

Thank you ! Beautiful ! ! ! I love it when it's a massive mahogany chunk, not a veneer.

So objectively ... in what way is the fit and finish better than a good G400 ? I'm not doubting your observations, I'm just curious about these things.
    I have a G400 Vintage faded (well, it's not faded anymore, I buffed it) and the quality is up there, I can't see how it could be bettered.

2. NitroSG

NitroSG Member

That will be interesting to identify as I feel it's a sum of everything.

First thing I think is different is the elitist is heavier than a G400. I'll weigh mine and post to compare.

The switch and pots feel much higher quality.

The finish looks more higher end and I can't put my finger on why that is just yet. At least in person. Like I said I've only played this elitist and I've only played two new G400's and the first one had a pro setup done and it felt awesome and sounded great. The switch felt cheap though. I almost bought it.

The last one I played at GC and it must have just been beat to death. The bridge pickup didn't work via the switch and the pots felt loose. It also went out of tune almost immediately.

In the last month I've played a Diablo Sg, a Supreme, a 04 standard, a 16 faded, a 16 standard, a G400, a few les pauls, etc.

The elitist *feels* as well built as the custom shop Supreme that I test drove but the supreme has much larger fretwire and the pickups are hotter (57 classics I believe).

JMHO!

3. DrBGood

Korean Epi SGs are usually heavier .. I think. I had one that was around 8 pounds. Massive for a SG ! I felt that the body was superior in some ways, maybe the weight makes us believe it's better ?
    I like light guitars, I didn't keep that one.

4. NitroSG

NitroSG Member

Yeah, I definitely believe it's a sum of a lot of small little things that I'll try to quantify.

Early on when I decided I wanted an SG, I took some advice to heart - play as many as you can and buy the one that talks to you. I played as many as I could and I gambled on this one, I knew that I'd be able to sell it for what I paid the next day if need be if I didn't like it, but I played it and it is damn near perfect. I'm going to get '57s for it and condition the fretboard, have the intonation set with a fresh set of strings and it should be right there. I didn't really like the railroad track frets on the supreme but these are pretty small frets, I'll wear these out before I jump the gun and go replace them.

5. ScottMarlowe

ScottMarlowe Well-Known Member

I had the same kind of reaction between my TV Pelham Blue SG Custom and my 1966 G-400 Pro.

The G-400 pro just feels less substantial. It's lighter, the neck is whippier, etc. Of course it's had a complete fret job and all electronics replaced, and it sounds really good etc. But the Custom was just a step up in heft, stiffness, pickups (probucker 2 / 3) and the fit and finish was just a tad better overall.

Beautiful Elitest man, enjoy it.

Last edited: Oct 25, 2016
    NitroSG likes this.
  6. NitroSG

NitroSG Member

I just looked up the SG Custom you have, that's a neat piece! I didn't even know they made something like that.

7. ScottMarlowe

It's as close as you can get to an elitest without buying an actual elitest. Seriously one of the finest guitars I've ever played or owned. And they still go for < $399 all the time.

8. NitroSG

NitroSG Member

A review said the neck was a bit chunky, how would you describe it?

9. ScottMarlowe

Definitely more chunky than my G-400. A more rounded profile. Not a baseball bat, but not slim. Kind of in between. It was VERY comfortable to my hands. BTW the thing weighed just over 8lbs. Not a lightweight by any means.

10. NitroSG

NitroSG Member

It's all that toan wood I swear.

ScottMarlowe likes this.
  11. DrBGood

Ahhhh ... you almost had me start looking for one, with a thick neck and all. Love that.
    But then ... over 8 pounds ... killed my GAS.

NitroSG likes this.
  12. ScottMarlowe

(Knocks on guitar) hear that?!?! bwahahaha.

Seriously tho, they picked a particularly dense chunk of mahogany for mine. I just liked it because the very hefty body balanced the hefty neck and it had zero tendency to neck dive.

NitroSG likes this.
  13. Sp8ctre

Sp8ctre Well-Known Member

That is a BEAUTY!!!

NitroSG likes this.
  14. ScottMarlowe

It definitely earns the "Les Paul" label it carries on it. :)

DrBGood likes this.