NGD: ESP LTD Viper 1000 Deluxe

Discussion in 'SG Copies' started by NomeX, Aug 4, 2018.

1. NomeX

NomeX Member

Just brought it home. Haven't cleaned or restrung yet. I've been looking for one of these. It's a bit battle worn, which means I don't have to baby it.

It's my first ESP LTD. I may change the pups to some EMG HAX singles. I already have a couple EMG equipped guitars (G-400 with 81/85 and Ibanez ARZ 800 81/60).

AngelDeVille likes this.
  2. Stark Naked

Stark Naked New Member

Just curious, what's a fair price for an ESP LTD. Viper 1000 ? It looks like a formidable weapon. I'd like to take one for a test drive. Are they still in production?

pancake81 likes this.
  3. pancake81

pancake81 Well-Known Member

X2

4. NomeX

NomeX Member

When I started looking last year you could find them online from $250 to $350 with or without case in good to great condition. The neck feels very similar to the slim-D necks of my other G-400's, save my 1966 Pro, which is just a bit thicker. I don't mind the abalone inlays. It was between this and a Prophecy SG which usually show up for the same price. If the Prophecy had the Dirty Fingers, I may have chosen it. These two models compare similarly especially with the 24 frets, and control layout. The Viper 1000 is a thicker body as well, along with a more generous cutout for your arm and the offset body.

5. smitty_p

smitty_p Well-Known Member

6. DrBGood

DrBGood Well-Known Member

Looks more like a strap button on the horn. with too short a screw.
    And then when it let go, it produced what this pic is about.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

7. Stark Naked

Stark Naked New Member

I'd be interested to know the Vipers nut width and scale length if it's not a lot of trouble. Looks like a lot of guitar for the money. How's the weight?

8. DrBGood

DrBGood Well-Known Member

9. smitty_p

smitty_p Well-Known Member

Hey...I think you’re right. Good eye!

But, it’s still fun to think that maybe someone had some weird idea with a saw!

But, a screw breaking out makes more sense.

10. NomeX

NomeX Member

Not with the guitar at the moment, but the weight is manageable. Scale length is 24 3/4.

I have an 80's LP that is made of lead, but this feels pretty light. Not as light as my thinner bodied G-400s and Sgs, but not uncomfortable at all.

I've been on a tear with Ibanez ARZs lately, and this Viper hits all my faves with the SG design. I only wish it had two more knobs like an SG. I prefer the SG control layout to the LP. The fret access is great, like an SG with short tenon, except the body is angled to meet the neck better - angled, but the previous owners new strap button placement makes it feel like a G-400. My ARZs have equally great 24th fret access due to the smoother contoured neck joint, but I lose out on the neck pickup placement since LPs are right up against the 22nd fretn and having 24 frets on an LP style guitar pushes the neck pup closer to the bridge. I see a couple Viper 1000s have disappeared from the GC used section.

I'm still not completely sold on actives, but I'll give it some time. This one has 81/85 bridge/neck. This is a lot of guitar for the money and it also follows the price difference of SG vs LP. Viper vs Eclipse should be about $100 difference. I think I'm set on my SGs and G-400s, so I think I'll focus on finding a baritone Viper next.

Cheers, keep the questions coming.

11. NomeX

NomeX Member