NGD - Fail!

Discussion in 'Other Guitars' started by DaveInSoCal, Jul 25, 2019.

1. DaveInSoCal

DaveInSoCal Active Member

Well, I’m sorry to say but I have made my last new Gibson purchase and it wasn’t pretty.

So I have been wanting the Explorer Tribute for a while now and finally decided to go for it! I have the Epiphone Goth Explorer and I really love that guitar, especially since I put Dirty Fingers + pickups into it, what a screamer!

Buy hey, I really wanted the Gibson version so I ordered it and finally yesterday it came in! I was so excited!!

I picked it up on the way home from work and brought it home and unboxed it and gave it a quick inspection. The first thing I noticed was the “satin” finish, not great certainly not as good as my Epiphone although it is Nitro. Also there is no grain filler so I call this faded. Another small issue I had was there was an indentation on the front of the body that was under the paint, QA should have caught that!

Fretboard is rosewood and dry as a bone, but I can correct that.

Anyway time to plug in tune up and rock it!!

Crap, I immediately notice fret buzz, well the action is pretty low so I raise it up, still there, raise it up more than I like, still there. I then check the neck relief which seems fine. Is there a neck hump?? I thought this thing was plecked!

Next I just decide to play it a bit, the pickup selector feels wonky, not like the Switchcraft I’m used to and the dirty fingers pickups sound muddy. My Epiphone has the same pickups so I know how they should sound.

At this point I’m done, gotta send this one back, so I wipe it down with my microfiber cloth and as I wipe down the neck, I find the fret ends are sharp. Man this sucks!! I paid $1400 for this guitar – with only a soft case and my $500 Epiphone blows it away!!

I love Gibsons and have more than a few but this guitar is an embarrassment, a true POS! Even if the fret ends were filed correctly and without the fret buzz issue this guitar should sell for no more that $699.

Bad Gibson! Bad!!

cerebral gasket and koaguilds like this.
  2. Tony M

Tony M Well-Known Member

Yeah, I'm pretty much done with Gibson.
    I think they are riding on their name at this point.
    5 of the last 6 guitars I bought were not Gibsons.
    They were 2 EBMMs and 3 PRSs.

koaguilds and DaveInSoCal like this.
  3. PermissionToLand

PermissionToLand Well-Known Member

Did you raise the pickups along with the action? I realized this was why the pickups sounded muddy and dead on a '71 SG I was playing at a store recently. I used the pick as a flathead and raised them and bingo, there's the awesome P90 tone I was expecting!

DaveInSoCal likes this.
  4. DaveInSoCal

No not worth the trouble, I just boxed it up and I'm waiting for my return authorization. I'll probably just get a Telecaster instead.

5. DaveInSoCal

Yes, it's really sad! I'm glad I did get the Gibsons I have now when they were still somewhat reasonably priced and the guitars were better quality.
    I'm not sure who their customer base is now but if they keep coming up with all of these faded half ass guitars with gig bags and price the decent ones at $2500 + who's buying them?

The average gigging guitarist really doesn't have the cash for that and honestly there are many guitars out there that are much cheaper and much better. Sure they are made in Korea, Indonesia, Mexico etc but I'm over the "Made In America" thing now, Gibson proves that doesn't mean anything anymore.

6. HackeIommi

HackeIommi Active Member

I feel really sorry about this trouble. I understand your emotions my friend, believe me. I also searched a decent SG for years in bad, limited new and used guitar market of my country and Gibsons usually disappointed me too. So I am not a Gibson fanboy as you can understand.

If you look at the forum, you can see tons of people who are buying their guitars online and very happy. But I think buying guitars online always means buying risk. Brand, the model or country doesn't matter. If you look at negative online reviews, you can see unhappy customers are usually people who bought their guitars online. And this case another possibility turned to fail as you said.

If there are any options, please don't buy your guitars online.

DaveInSoCal likes this.
  7. cerebral gasket

cerebral gasket Well-Known Member

I agree that $1400 is far too much for a guitar that does not have a full gloss finish with the grain filled. I purchased a second hand SG Special Faded and had it refinished to gloss with the grain filled and spent less than $1400 total for the cost of the guitar plus the refinish. IMO guitars with Faded finishes should not exceed the $1000 price point.

Last edited: Jul 25, 2019
    DaveInSoCal likes this.
  8. DaveInSoCal

Well, I have purchased quite a few guitars online, new and used.
    I only had one problem before, also with an Explorer dinged at the factory. The finish was cracked on the rear lower corner so not visible. I love the guitar and the sound / feel so I wanted to keep it. The Vendor knocked $150 off the price so I was good with that deal. Shout out to Zzounds!!
    I also purchased an SG used through Guitar Center which I like because they have a 45 day satisfaction guarantee. Anyway when I got it I could see it was abused but I polished it up and gave it some TLC i love it now. So I'm good with online as long as there is solid warranty support.

9. GrumpyOldDBA

GrumpyOldDBA Well-Known Member

Try a PRS S2 they are right in that price range and the qc is phenomenal.

I think we should give current new gibson leadership a while longer before making any long term forecasts about how the brand as a whole is going.

Admittedly they have a whole bunch of people willing to pay 3 grand for the LP standards and more for the customs so its not all gloom and doom.

DaveInSoCal likes this.
  10. Bettyboo

Bettyboo Well-Known Member

Sorry to hear about your trouble with a new guitar, that sucks.

I also don't like the satin finish; had it on an SG future tribute (an otherwise very good guitar), but sold it due to the finish; but, that guitar was well under $1000 - you're right that $1400 sounds like a lot of money for that guitar with that finish.

In Gibson's defence, they are making some excellent guitars, go to the shop and try a few for yourself; my SG junior has been played by various professionals/keen amateurs and all agree it is as good as any guitar they have played - cost $1400 with a hard case.

Personally, after going through years of misery buying guitars that did live up to my expectations, I wouldn't spend more than $500 on a guitar unless I had physically tried it out first; online buying cannot be anywhere near the experience of actually holding and playing the real thing before purchase. Every guitar is unique, you really have to get yourself to a guitar shop and play as many guitars as you can until you find the one you want. It took my over 2 hours to get to the guitar shop where I bought the SG, and I went to buy a different guitar, but was time well spent...

DaveInSoCal and cerebral gasket like this.
  11. Huntroll

Huntroll Active Member

HUNTROLL Says . . .

Forgetaboutit !

Last edited: Jul 26, 2019
    DaveInSoCal likes this.
  12. Tony M

Tony M Well-Known Member

You spelled it wrong.

Attached Files:

DaveInSoCal likes this.
  13. rotorhead

rotorhead Well-Known Member

At age 53 and with several dozen guitars passing through my fingers over the years, I've yet to buy one prior to holding it and trying it out myself. So far, my buying satisfaction remains at 100%.

I know it's an old fashioned practice and that many, many people have had no issues with buying online and/ or without trying the guitar out themselves, but my method (so far) has kept me from going through the hassle of a return process.

For me, going through the grunt work prior to buying works just fine.

cerebral gasket likes this.
  14. Tony M

Tony M Well-Known Member

I'm the same way about that (but I'm older...:smile:).
    I have never purchased a guitar without playing it first.
    I buy many things on line sight unseen but not guitars.