NGD: G-400 Brown with EMGs!

Discussion in 'Epiphone SG' started by NomeX, Jul 8, 2018.

1. NomeX

NomeX Member

I was looking for a cheap platform to add some pups and I spotted this online with EMGs. The seller called me and said they pups were giving low output and they could refund my money. I told them to give me a discount and send it to me since I was going to swap these out for some Rio Grande TX BBQ or Lace Hammerclaws I got for a bargain.

They knocked off $50 and sent it my way. I looked in the cavity and sure enough the precious owner wired and hooked things up wrong. The plugs to the pickups were plugged backwards (the red wire was going to the wrong prong for you EMG folks) and the cables were hooked up to the wrong prongs and controls (bridge cables to neck controls). When I did get things switched correctly, it turns out the toggle was wired backwards and didn't get any output when soloing the bridge (wired neck). It also appears that the bridge ground was plugged into the ground on the preamp bus and all the cables from the toggle switch had their shielding connected and soldered to the ground on the toggle.

I figure nothing is wrong with the pups and a soldering and rewire will be all it takes to get this setup working again. The previous owner must have bought the pups and got frustrated when the EMGs were not working properly. Shame, this must have been an expensive upgrade.

It's funny, I just also recently acquired an Ibanez ARZ800 with EMG 60/80 and now this G-400 falls into my lap with 85/81s... guess the universe is telling my to keep at least two active guitars.

Which means I have to find another guitar for my other pups! This satin finish feels great! I may look around for another brown, a faded cherry or another Gothic.

pancake81 and Biddlin like this.
  2. pancake81

pancake81 Well-Known Member

Awesome!

The black pick up covers go well with the worn brown

NomeX and Biddlin like this.
  3. pancake81

I am usually not a fan of those knobs, but they look excellent on that guitar

NomeX likes this.
  4. pancake81

Also, I am not sure if it’s just the lighting, but the contrast on the outer beveling appears to be somewhat lighter in color, and it just looks amazing (especially on the back).And the ln the vertical wood grain on the body looks classy.

I am really digging this guitar. And I am sure I am not the only one

NomeX likes this.
  5. NomeX

NomeX Member

The bevel is lighter. I thought someone had stripped the guitar when I got it. I was going to gut this thing bit I finally got it up and running after flipping the toggle switch around and getting all the plugs oriented properly. Tight fit in the cavity! If I keep the EMGs in, I'll have to mount the buss below the toggle switch. I hadn't gotten around to considering the knobs. Too bad the EMG knobs are coarse, or I'd put one of my amber or black reflectors on it.

As with my other three G-400s (1966 limited, 1961 RI with P-90s, and Gothic) the fretwork has been pretty good and the guitars are very playable. All of my Epi's were used, so I'm not sure if they were cherry picked or were set up by the PO's. I find I actually prefer the neck joint on my Epi's to those on my Gibson SG's with the longer joint.

Thanks for the kind words, all, I haven't even started nodding, yet! I still need some pots and toggles.

6. Worblehat

Worblehat Active Member

Yep! You are not the only one. I think this is the perfect finish for an SG!