NGD - Jackson Rhoads JS32T

Discussion in 'Other Guitars' started by Rain, Jul 10, 2019.

1. Rain

Rain Well-Known Member

Belated Happy Birthday to me...

Sold some gear I wasn't using recently and figured I might as well use the money to try something different. Randy Rhoads being the reason why I picked up electric guitar and the reason why I studied classical, it seemed to make sense to at least try this model, although I'm usually very conservative when it comes to guitars - Strats, Teles, Les Pauls and, of course, SGs.

Anything but radical designs... But hey, I play in a metal band now, so...

At first I was going to grab one of the more expensive ones but I figured that since I'd never played this model, I could test the waters with a cheaper one before - and I'd heard so many good things about this one...

Well it didn't take long for me to reach a verdict - that model is PERFECT. Not the guitar itself of course, although it's darn impressive for a guitar that inexpensive. I wish we'd had cheap guitars as good as this one when I was a teenager... It doesn't exactly have that "fine instrument" touch that you'd expect from a US made guitar, but it's still incredibly playable.

But what struck me most was a feeling that everything that stood between me and music had suddenly been removed. Ergonomically, for me, this guitar is like, paradise...

Of course, upper neck access is unparalleled. But even more important is the fact that this guitar seems to naturally fall at an angle (45-ish) at which I'm usually struggling to keep my guitar when playing seated.

In that classical-ish type of position, with different models come different compromises, depending on the scale lenght, body shape and all. But this one puts everything right in the zone where I need it - the entire fretboard accessible, not too far to the left or squeezed in to the right, so that the fret hand always remain in a natural position.

But even more importantly is the fact that I keep my damaged right shoulder in the most comfortable, natural position, close to the body and my whole arm is completely relaxed.

This is kind of a revelation to me - and I can't believe I'd never tried one before. I guess I better star saving for a more expensive model, but in the mean time, I feel like I never want to put this one down.

[​IMG]

DanB and plankton like this.
  2. plankton

plankton Well-Known Member

Congratulations on your new guitar! I too am a huge Randy fan, and my inner 15 year-old has often urged me to buy one of these. Thanks for the great review!

DanB and Rain like this.
  3. HackeIommi

HackeIommi Active Member

I love USA and Japanese Jackson guitars especially pre Fenders to play metal or instrumental shred virtuoso style music. More than Ibanez.

Rain and DanB like this.
  4. DanB

DanB Active Member

Happy belated birthday and nice looking ax! Jackson does make some really good guitars at an affordable price, particularly for metal type music.
    The Dinky is also a nice model:
    [​IMG]

Rain likes this.
  5. Chuteboxehero

Chuteboxehero Active Member

I picked up this guy about a year ago figuring it would be fun to shred on. Works very well for that. I think it's a '96 made in Japan. Great sounding guitar. The Floyd is fun to experiment with too. [​IMG]

Rain and DanB like this.
  6. Rain

Rain Well-Known Member

How gorgeous!