NGD (Just Can't Help Myself!)

Discussion in 'Gibson SG' started by Kabrijj, Jan 22, 2019.

1. Kabrijj

Kabrijj Well-Known Member

A while back, ebay sent me a notification I could get 15% any item. I tried to resist, but even though I definitely didn't need another one...

I got a "husk" SG Faded from Stratosphere.

1.jpg

2.jpg

4.jpg

6.jpg

7.jpg

Figured why not? I've got most of the parts I'd need, and I had a crazy idea I wanted to see if it could work...

Last edited: Jan 23, 2019
    fos1, syscokid, bwotw and 2 others like this.
  2. Kabrijj

So, the crazy idea: some backstory...

A while back I had a Les Paul CM that I dug, but just didn't bond with. One humbucker, volume and tone control. I really liked the simplicity, but the guitar itself... just couldn't bond with it, so it got sold.

Well, here's what I came up with.

sIMG_20190122_203910.jpg

sIMG_20190122_203941.jpg

sIMG_20190122_204015.jpg

sIMG_20190122_204043.jpg

sIMG_20190122_204050.jpg

sIMG_20190122_204102.jpg

sIMG_20190122_204146.jpg

sIMG_20190122_204154.jpg

Black hardware, and Kluson Revolution tuners with the small oval buttons.

Found some red tinted knobs from AllParts. I made both the truss rod cover and pickguard, so the edges/bevels aren't totally perfect... but who cares? :naughty: The red trim looks cool.

Seymour Duncan Nazgul pickup, which is normally a pretty high output pickup. The normal bridge volume and tone controls work like normal. The "neck" volume is actually a spin-a-split: when you turn it down, it shorts one of the coils to ground, but when it's in-between 10 and 0 you get some quasi-P90 flavors, which I really dig. The "neck" tone control is a bass contour, which essentially rolls off the bass frequencies (instead of the treble ones a normal tone pot controls); this is a fairly subtle effect using clean settings, but really helps definition under high gain and fuzz (it actually gives fuzz all sorts of new textures). Finally, the toggle switch is wired to ground in the neck/up position and becomes a kill switch.

I'm honestly more stoked on it than I should be. In the front of my mind when purchasing the body, I figured I could probably built something and sell it for about what I'd put into it; justify another guitar somehow, right? In the back of my mind, well...

I'm probably still in the "honeymoon" phase, but I'm really digging it. It's super lightweight (5.55 lbs!) and it pretty dang versatile for a one pickup guitar.

I'll decide what to ultimately do with it later. I'm gonna play this thing for a while first! :cheers:

fos1, syscokid and bwotw like this.
  3. Chubbles

Chubbles Well-Known Member

I can't resist a good project. Few could.

4. Kabrijj

I sure can't. Glad to know I'm not the only one ;)

5. njpaulc

njpaulc Active Member

Sounds intriguing, not my cup of tea, but you sounds like it has exceeded your expectations. Great ideas

6. syscokid

syscokid Well-Known Member

Yes... Very interesting features you have bestowed on a wicked looking SG. I dig it... :dude:

fos1 likes this.