NGD - May I Present...

Discussion in 'SG Copies' started by Rox, Sep 4, 2017.

1. Rox

Rox Active Member

...my newest addition. A guitar I have been searching for... it has taken me many years to locate one after stupidly selling mine to buy an actual Gibson.

I've mentioned it before, but I've managed to get hold of one... finally. And it sounds and plays just as good as I remembered my old one did.

Here we have my Kasuga made Shaftesbury 3413, dating from 1973/4. Have fun spotting the different Gibson model SG influences in this guitar (the two you can't see are the Volute on the neck and the Les Paul like pancake construction):

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

I am over the moon!! The sound oozes Black Sabbath and plays beautifully.

It's actually Walnut, even though the pics look more Cherry.

2. Rox

Rox Active Member

Thanks for the likes. :)

Here are some pictures of the maple in the pancake sandwich construction (sorry the first pic is so blurry):

[​IMG]

Same guitar, but the maple looks a different colour at a different angle!

[​IMG]

3. Rox

Rox Active Member

The much maligned volute and back of headstock:

[​IMG]

PermissionToLand likes this.
  4. Rox

Rox Active Member

And another photo of the top - you can see more of the grain in this one:

[​IMG]

PermissionToLand likes this.
  5. kiko

kiko Active Member

Nice!

6. Rox

Rox Active Member

Indeed... in fact both myself and @JohnnyBlade have owned one of these previously - in fact, we both owned the same one:

[​IMG]

I sold it like this, the chap that bought it off me removed the Shaftesbury logo and put a Gibson one on. Then @JohnnyBlade bought it from him.

7. DrBGood

DrBGood Well-Known Member

Really nice SG.

Why would somebody do that ? Now it's a fake, as before it was a rare specimen.

vonserke likes this.
  8. AngelDeVille

AngelDeVille Well-Known Member

That is sweet, I have always wanted an Ampeg myself...

9. Rox

Rox Active Member

It really is a lovely thing that just works the way it's supposed to. The Maxon pickups are awesome (and command a pretty penny on their own these days!)

They have date stamps on them, the neck pickup 34123 - meaning it was manufactured on 23/1/74 - 3 was apparently the pickup code (possible magnet type?). The bridge pickup 34128 - 28/1/74. The one I owned before had a date stamp of 34114 - 14/1/74. I rather suspect this guitar and the one I owned before were the same batch with only a week or so between pickup dates.

How awesome is that?

Although I thought it was all original, there has been a modification - both volume pots have been replaced, and fitted with a treble bleed mod. This mod is why I decided to have a look on the back of the pickups just to make sure the pickups hadn't been swapped out.

I find it fascinating that Kasuga didn't just copy an SG, they copies various Gibson features to create a sort of Gibson greatest hits. At a time where Gibson were cutting back on binding, and putting plastic control plates on, Kasuga did neck binding, volute, used the split diamond with the Custom style neck inlays, pancake construction copied from the Les Paul. Quality pickups with full size pots. The neck joint looks the same profile as the Gibson SG MM I have.

The biggest difference is the neck - the neck is skinny and narrow. The Gibson is thick and wider. But somehow they are both incredibly comfortable in different ways.

vonserke likes this.
  10. PermissionToLand

PermissionToLand Well-Known Member

Now that is cool! I've been keeping an eye out for good Japanese copies of batwing SGs; there aren't many out there and Gibson has made ZERO effort at reissuing a batwing SG. Looks like they copied a 1971 Standard (big heel, shallow beveling, 3pc neck, big volute), but gave it a Custom neck for a little upscale feel. Not an uncommon thing, believe it or not. Burny had some batwing copies with Custom necks as well.

11. Paully

Paully Active Member

Suh-Wheat :D

12. Rox

Rox Active Member

Ah yes, I've just Googled a '71 Standard and I think you're absolutely spot on, so many thanks for that. :)