NGD: Polaris White 64 Special Also need electronics pics please!

Discussion in 'Vintage SG' started by shrigg, Dec 29, 2014.

1. Kris Ford

Kris Ford Well-Known Member

Looks MUCH better with the overspray off!!
    DEFINITELY a refin, but oh well, thinking it was done using stripper as all of the body lines are crisper than what you see refins that were sanded..
    Like I said, I can't tell if was born white or not..no way to ever know if the original finish was stripped..
    Congrats!
    Now for f**k's sake, get those stupid Epi knobs off and get some decent repros on there until you find an original set!!!:naughty:
    These are what I have no problem using in the interim..
    http://www.philadelphialuthiertools...nobs-black-with-silver-reflector-us-set-of-4/

2. shrigg

shrigg Member

Yeah already ordered. Phila Luthier is what's on my Historic LP as well

[​IMG]

Here's a seller pic of the pickup cavity, looks like it was originally white. It's definitely one of the coolest refins I've seen with all that weatherchecking

[​IMG]

3. shrigg

shrigg Member

Kris have you seen the Fake 58 adapter bushings? I'm leaning toward trying those but have not seen what they look like. I am certain they will be worlds nicer than the clunky allparts ones. The original tuners are PRISTINE and I'd love to use them if I can.

[​IMG]

4. Kris Ford

I have, Basically what you already have..they also have the "eyelet bushings"..but only have a 1/4 inch bore, which will not fit in the reamed Grover hole..like I said, I can't stand any kind of conversion bushing myself, it's original grommet style bushing for me or nothing...also, I can tell from the pic above that there will be dents and missing black paint, and without a headstock refin, will look pretty nasty.
    Pull the Grovers off..you won't like what you see...:(

5. shrigg

shrigg Member

Really? they specifically list "Conversion tuner bushings for fitting Kluson style tuners to 3/8" (Schaller and Grover ) tuner holes" here:
    So those are no better than the allparts ones I posted before? They are certainly more expensive, especially with shipping...

http://www.fake58.co.uk/G Tuners.htm

6. Kris Ford

What I mean is that they look like the ones in the above pic..most Kluson conversion ones do..it's the regular Kluson style, not the grommet type, so, pretty much exactly like the ones on that pic with the strip tuners..same basic thing.

7. shrigg

shrigg Member

Okay thanks. I'll assume the bushings I already have are the originals. When were the grommets you like used then? Different years?

8. Kris Ford

OK, starting to get a lil confused here.. you replied, "Okay thanks. I'll assume the bushings I already have are the originals."
    Are the ones you are referring to as originals in that pic with the strip tuners? Because, nope, those aren't the originals...the grommet style is! In fact the ones in the above pic might even be conversion bushings..:hmm:
    The grommet style was used since the early 50's to about 1970 on EVERY 3 on a strip equipped Gibson, on mid and low end, like Juniors and Specials.

Here's a pic of my old '69 SG Junior that has them.

[​IMG]

9. shrigg

shrigg Member

Oh okay, got it. Thanks for posting that pic, really helps to illustrate them in action!

10. Kris Ford

Well, after doing some research, it seems that there are either A LOT of these that have conversion bushings,
    OR...
    maybe perhaps BOTH styles may have been used...I'm seeing many pics with both....although after blowing the pics up, you can see the rings left from Grovers, or even completely touched up..
    Like this one..the ring around the bushing is hard to see, but is definitely a Grover washer imprint..
    1965 Gibson SG Special GIE0560 4580228742921 | eBay
    This one has the grommet style..with Grover rings around them..
    1965 Gibson SG Special | eBay
    It's just SO hard to find unmolested examples..
    So really, since you really want to use those strip tuners, it's all up to what you'll find under those large Grover washers..if it's not that bad (pic says otherwise, you can see how deep they've sunk and chipped black paint around them) Somebody needs to make the grommet style as a conversion bushing LOL
    You can always get the headstock sanded smooth and refinished, use the conversion bushings, and know one would ever really know..except me LOL.

11. shrigg

shrigg Member

Yes I too have seen a lot of those types of bushings being represented as original. That's why I thought mine were original, I have no reason to think they had been changed. I suspect they used both types.

So the Fake 58 conversion bushings are not any nicer than the allparts?

12. shrigg

shrigg Member

Just ordered a Mojoaxe CWT60-A tailpiece for it, gonna be sweet!

[​IMG]

Kris Ford likes this.
  13. Mike Kay

Mike Kay New Member

Folks, Any known cure for grommet or washer rash short of headstock refinishing? Back in '72 as a know-nothing kid I added Grovers with washers. Later a cleaned it up a bit with grommets. Still have the telltale rash but don't want to refinish anything.

Attached Files:

14. Kris Ford

Unfortunately, no.
    Bear in mind during these years, the holly headstock veneer was used, and is easily crushed by the Grover washers, and like I was telling Shrigg, the conversion bushing in the middle of dime sized dents looks awful, so once the damage is done, without refin and some bodywork, it's better to leave the Grovers IMO..

JohnnyGoo likes this.
  15. shrigg

shrigg Member

A competent luthier versed in lacquer touchups can drop fill and buff the impressions left by the washers. Touching up this area may or may not qualify as refinishing, but that is what I intend to to do with mine. Stay tuned, I will post photos here of the process as I do it.

16. Relic61

Relic61 Well-Known Member

While there is no easy cure once the damage is done to the face of the headstock by those over-sized grommets digging in & leaving their mark, some guitars fared worse than others. In your case Mike Kay, while that tell-tale circle is visible, it certainly isn't as bad as others we've & I could learn to deal with it.
    [​IMG]

It certainly doesn't bother me as much looking at the backside (particularly in white) with the original tuners removed, like in Shrigg's pic.

[​IMG]

However Shrigg would still have to deal with bore size issues upon going back to original as well. Well, someone inventive & industrious certainly could corner the niche market created here if so inclined & motivated to do so! Cha-yeah.

Now in the case of the MoJoAxe bridge shown that you're getting Shrigg.
    [​IMG]

I see the saddles aren't notched yet. While that is cool in some ways because it gives you some say about string spacing when & if you do get them notched, I have found that the notching is needed to make them really playable & to keep the strings from sliding around on those saddles when doing bends & even under certain intense vibrato, which gives off its own artifact on the notes. While that grinding & pinging does sound unique & even rather cool at first, it won't take too long for the novelty to fade & the longing for a pure sounding string to be back where it belongs under your fingers by properly seating those saddles with the right notches. This is actually an art that requires a wee bit of skill.

Bwainoes notches amigo's

Kris Ford likes this.
  17. JohnnyGoo

JohnnyGoo Well-Known Member

Yes Relic it is a art to get the string spacing even.i speak of this caused,well ive F,d a couple up here and there.finally bought me some luthiers files and nut files.still tricky.and you can really see it when there not right.

18. JohnnyGoo

Oh ,heads up,the Stratosphere is selling Gibson Lightning Bars already notched for about 60$ to 65$ apiece.and there Zinc not Aluminum.if you order a Gibby Lightning bar new in the Gibby pack off ebay its 100$.

19. shrigg

shrigg Member

I'd prefer the Mojaxe bridge anyday. I saw those shiny Stratosphere bridges and they would look all wrong on my guitar. Relicing the bridge or notching the saddles are not big issues for me as I am a luthier apprentice and I do tech work and restorations all the time. Same goes for fixing the Grover headstock imprints. A bit of a project but not that big of a deal.

20. JohnnyGoo

Right on Shrigg,was just sayin.