NGD Samick Artist Series SG

Discussion in 'SG Copies' started by PermissionToLand, Feb 7, 2015.

1. PermissionToLand

PermissionToLand Well-Known Member

Yeah, I bought another.:naughty:

Here's the thing, it's basically NOS because it was bought in '97 and played lightly for like one year and stored untouched since. And it was only $250. My plan is to swap all my upgrades from my current one onto this and sell the old one to break even. The funny thing is, I finally got the old one up to my standards but it still has a ghost buzz on two frets that drives me crazy. My tech said it's just one of those things you could spend a lot of time and money chasing to no avail. Switching to .010 gauge strings and raising the action a little got rid of it but I like .009s and low action. Also, this new one has a really nice medium hue rosewood fretboard, just like my Gibby, whereas the old one has a darker FB that, while nice, just seems a bit cheap next to the Gibby. The grain is also really nice and even on this one, whereas mine has a dark strip above the pickups.

Look at that grain, it could pass for a one piece body:
    [​IMG]

This one shows the fretboard nicely
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

For contrast, here's my old one. Notice the dark strip above the PUPs and darker fretboard.

[​IMG]

I can't wait! It should take a week or two to ship.

58pit, Biddlin, milesdeem and 2 others like this.
  2. JohnnyGoo

JohnnyGoo Well-Known Member

Very nice.think you got the right plan goin to.congrats

3. cybermgk

cybermgk Well-Known Member

:thumb:I could rock that. Yep

4. eS.G.

eS.G. Well-Known Member

Awesome congrats dude

5. MtrSticky

MtrSticky Member

Great guitar, I used one in my last band and it sounded & played great. The shop I worked at was a dealer and it was too good to pass up on. Play it in rockin' good health!

PermissionToLand likes this.
  6. PermissionToLand

Well I got it yesterday and set it up (which actually involved flipping the bridge saddles because they were installed backwards). As I'm dialing it in, I'm still not sure if I like it more than my old one. I noticed a few differences off the bat, one being that the finish isn't as dark as my '98. Also, the beveling isn't as sharp and the pickguard is differently shaped (not as close to the edges of the body). Ironically, it has a buzz on the same exact fret as my old one, although it's not nearly as bad.

It's amazing how clean it is though, not a single string change scar on the headstock or buckle scratch on the back. It's like a time machine to 1997.

I'll keep playing them both for a while though before I make up my mind which to keep. It's tough because they both have different pros and cons; the new one can have lower action but I prefer the darker cherry and more accurate pickguard/beveling of the old one. However, since I plan to get a batwing PG made, it's better for the PG to be further from the edges. This isn't turning out to be as clear cut of a decision as I'd hoped.

7. Biddlin

Biddlin Well-Known Member

That's how you end up with a room full of SGs. Just parted with two old Epiphone G-400s and still have six.There is something about every one I like.
    ;>)/

JakeD likes this.
  8. warmachine

warmachine Member

I'm a few parts away from assembling my $75 craigslist snag for one of these. Very neglected by prior owner, but I've done setup work and electrical upgrades before. I aim to make it my downtuned guitar for D tuning. I just handled a 1995 Gibson SG at a shop yesterday and the neck felt so similar...but in the end I'll have prob $250 invested in the Samick vs. $850 for a Gibson I'd afraid to modify. Good luck with your new Samick!

PermissionToLand and Crazy_8 like this.
  9. Crazy_8

Crazy_8 Well-Known Member

Yeah, that's the way I am about my collection, too. My Gibson, Gretsch and Fender guitars tend to stay as purchased for the most part, but I pick up "stray dogs" and bare bodies for my mod projects. That way I feel like I'm returning one from "the Isle of Lost Guitars", LOL.

10. 58pit

58pit Well-Known Member

SIMMICKS are KILLER guitars bro, very nice!!!

11. PermissionToLand

$75 is an awesome deal for one of these! Congrats! I've actually modded my Gibby quite a bit but only because I know I'll never sell it.

Well, I put some .010s on the new one and I have to say it plays almost identical to the old one. Even though I love the fact that it has a thinner finish and you can see the grain texture on the surface, I don't think I can let go of the old one.

12. PermissionToLand

Okay, so after a slight truss rod adjustment to give it a little more relief, it's playing awesome and I can even get the action pretty low with minimal buzzing wearing .009s. Now I can't put it down. I have to say, this thing reminds me A LOT of the '61 RIs I've played. It just looks and feels like a well made instrument. The finish on the neck is so smooth... hell this is the thinnest, best poly finish I've ever seen.

I finally got a mic so I will definitely update with sound clips and pics when I get the chance.

Then I'll be totally upgrading the electronics (Alpha pots, switchcraft toggle and jack) and dropping in the T-Top from the old one.

13. Detonator1977

Detonator1977 New Member

I own two of these guitars.they are my favorite guitars I've owned. 16715951_1278892392195736_8646066917745621274_o.jpg

PermissionToLand likes this.
  14. Detonator1977

Detonator1977 New Member

They are moded as far as pickups and pots.as well as capacitors.a little work puts them in a whole new class of guitar.my black one is my main guitar.its been compared side by side with a couple of Gibson's and even the owners of the Gibson's had to concede that it is a superior instrument

15. PermissionToLand

Yeah, the stock pickups are pretty lousy, they have to go. I see you did a batwing conversion, too. Looks great!

Because I demand low action, I've reached the point of needing a fretboard level and refret because of the old set neck hump on the higher frets. With all the work I've put into this and how awesome it has become, it's definitely worth it though.

16. Detonator1977

Detonator1977 New Member

I haven't experienced any problems with action.my are both very low.no problems at all.the black one has a Seymour Duncan whole lotta humbucker in the bridge and a DiMarzio in the neck.i just put an invader in the bridge on the red one.the batwing was already done when I got the guitar.i actually prefer the stock guard.

17. sazista

sazista Active Member

fantastic guitars!! With neck binding too! I'd love to check one of those out!