NGD: SG Custom, P90, Maestro, VOS lamp black

Discussion in 'Gibson SG' started by SG standard, May 21, 2020 at 5:21 PM.

Tags:
  1. SG standard

SG standard Well-Known Member

First thing this morning I checked into another guitar forum and saw a post by someone who'd just received a new guitar with a nasty neck break. Felt really sorry for him, but with an hour to go before the courier was due to arrive, it really wasn't something I wanted to see...

Thankfully, it arrived with the headstock still firmly attached:
    [​IMG]

Yup, seems I bought a Les Paul by mistake... :(

Kidding... It's a real SG and has a hint of neck dive to prove it... :)
    [​IMG]

Given the Grovers and the larger headstock, I'm surprised how well it balances. I was prepared for worse... I've even given it a regular strap so it feels like a real SG! (That may not last).

It actually has the nicest body carve of any conventional SG I've ever owned, even the body edges have a deeper carve to them, and the lower edge follows that pickguard shape really closely. It's not very obvious in the photos, but it's easy to spot when the SGs are in front of you. With my '14 Standard:

[​IMG]

And my 2016 Standard HP:

[​IMG]

That '16 HP might've seemed like the obvious candidate to sell, but it's turned out to be the best made/playing SG I have, so I've got to be really sure about anything that might replace it, whereas my Supreme just wasn't getting the play time.

Seems this is a 2018 build, if I've understood the Custom Shop serial numbers correctly, and the inspection date is 7th January 2019, so that sounds right. So I seem to have a pattern going with the years, '14, '16, '18. At some point I'll need a 2020 Special.

I'm going to see if I can find out more about the model from Gibson - Ive never seen it on their website. A dealer in Nashville had one listed as 'one of two made', but I've seen one sold in Chicago, GAK had a previous one, and there was one on sale in Germany until today. I suspect this may be a model shelved by the new management - perhaps there's more of them sitting around waiting for the situation to change before they ship.

First impressions are really, really good. Low action, no buzzing, haven't found any dead spots on the neck, fit's like an old glove (but sounds a lot better*). In fact, it reminds me of the day my Yamaha SG1802 arrived - that was obviously special as soon as I played it, and with a similar RRP (though that had a much lower actual cost) comparisons will be inevitable. But not yet. Given the strings are like NOS (clean but have been on for a long time) the tuning stability is pretty good - except for some sticking in the nut, which is slightly disappointing - however, I'll find out if it's just in need of nut sauce when I restring, so it may not be a nut issue as such.

(*Probably down to the P90s - old gloves never have great pickups).

This had to be bought unplayed, due to the current situation, but I did have a careful look at the photos of the fretboard - I know how much nibs can annoy me. But these are fine, they only start well after the fret has already curved away, so no usable fret area is lost:

@arcticsg look away now - RICHLITE ALERT

[​IMG]
    I like the way the binding has been aged, but the top edge is white, giving it a really crisp look.

I'm liking the VOS finish on the hardware - mainly because gold soon tarnishes, (so I'm already over that first bit of wear showing), but I'm also liking the 'lived in' feel it gives the instrument, including the finish. Having said that, the neck is going to need some serious polishing, it's hot here today and it soon got clammy, which I'm sure is partly the VOS finish - I've heard this happens.

Basically, I couldn't be much happier right now. Yesterday I received a professional qualification I've been half-heartedly pursuing for about seven years - to the point of almost giving up, and today I got an SG Custom, a guitar I've dreamt of owning for 45 years, but never thought I would... Off to savour this moment before the next bit of crap comes along! :)

I'll post some prettier pics at some point.

2. DrBGood

DrBGood Well-Known Member

NICE !
    NICE !
    NICE |

SG standard likes this.
  3. Corporal Scratchy

Corporal Scratchy Active Member

A truly beautiful and unusual SG. Congratulations!

SG standard likes this.
  4. arcticsg

arcticsg Well-Known Member

Congratulations! Simply gorgeous! [​IMG]

Happy NGD to you! [​IMG]

SG standard likes this.
  5. arcticsg

arcticsg Well-Known Member

Hehehe, that’s okay... glad you are enjoying your new SG! :smile:

SG standard likes this.
  6. cerebral gasket

cerebral gasket Well-Known Member

Congrats!
    Batwing and P-90's.
    Nice!

SG standard likes this.
  7. Piper68Special

Piper68Special Active Member

Very, very, nice!

SG standard likes this.
  8. Chuteboxehero

Chuteboxehero Well-Known Member

Black and gold looks so good on an SG. That is a beautiful guitar!

SG standard likes this.
  9. cheshiergrin

cheshiergrin Active Member

Congrats, that is bad ass

SG standard likes this.
  10. macdog

macdog Member

If it plays and sounds as good as it looks you're in heaven.

SG standard likes this.
  11. SG standard

SG standard Well-Known Member

Thanks guys! ...I'm still grinning. :)

12. Dave

Dave Well-Known Member

CONGRATS!
    Beautiful SG.

SG standard likes this.