NGD SG Special

Discussion in 'Epiphone SG' started by viper007, Feb 27, 2020.

1. viper007

viper007 Active Member

2. DrBGood

DrBGood Well-Known Member

How'd she sounds ?

viper007 likes this.
  3. viper007

viper007 Active Member

Owned some Epiphone before but this is the best Epiphone that I've owned, both in feel, looks and sound.
    The neck (which is very important to me) is perfect and chunkier than i thought. Real bite in those P90. Well-built and surprisingly good quality...

4. ThinAir

ThinAir New Member

I just got my pelham blue SG Special P-90 from Sweetwater a couple weeks ago and it's wonderful! Even before plugging the guitar in, it projects quite loudly and has a very sweet chime to it. I'm surprised at how different it sounds from my G-400 Pro that rolled off the assembly line only a few months before my Special.

The paint finish quality is just spectacular, neck is great, clean wiring job with CTS pots even. My pick-ups are measuring at 7.68K at the bridge and 7.62 at the neck, virtually identical to the output of the P-90s in my early 2000's Gibson Les Paul Special Double Cutaway.

After getting the Special P-90 setup to my liking as far as action, adjusting pickup height and pole pieces, and intonating, the thing sounds great. Super sweet sounding. I am finding the bridge P-90 on this particular one to be a little dark sounding, so I will probably swap that out for a Lollar. Othewise an amazing guitar that should cost a lot more than $400...

Attached Files:

5. DrBGood

Look where that bridge P90 is relative to the bridge. That is what makes it sound dark. A Lollar won't 100% solve the problem. You might have to go for a 1000K volume pot or maybe bypass the tone pot. There ... try that before doing anything else.

I have a similar dilemna with my two LP's. Space between pup and bridge is double one from the other.

When I got the Jr, I was pissed that the Yellow Special growled more, I didn't get it, until I realized that space difference.

bridge P90.jpg

It's even more on the SG.

I had a '61 SG Reissue and I cherished that dark bridge tone. Other P90 guitars gave me the brightness if I wanted it.

15-07-25 2-.jpg

6. Worblehat

Worblehat Well-Known Member

Good point, Dr! A few days ago I just noticed that the bridge pickup on my Gibson SG is closer to the bridge compared to my Epiphone SG. I always assumed SGs were all the same in this regard...turns out they are not.
    My Epiphone sounds a lot darker than my Gibson which I attribute mostly to the Iommi Pickups but I guess the pickup's position plays its part here, too.

viper007 likes this.
  7. Dagger

Dagger Member

Wow congrats! The carve on the horns looks impressive. I wish so badly that I could just to plug that in for ten minutes I bet it sounds badass with those p90s and sustains for days with that wrap around bridge. I gotta stop looking at her I'm getting jelly. Plug her in and let her rip! Again I can't get over the carve they knocked it outta the park on this one!

viper007 likes this.
  8. NoiseNinja

NoiseNinja Active Member

Ah, that's Epiphone's new SG Special model.

Looks cool, and a nice thing with P90 pickups for a change.

Personally I would have chosen a different color, but as long as it is how you like it I guess all is good, and how it should be.

A whole other guitar than the 2012 Epiphone SG Special I got though.

First of all it was about half the price of what these new model costs from new, it has a bolt on neck, humbucker pickups, just one master volume and one master tone pot, and also got a standard TOM 2 piece saddle.

I happen to actually like mine a lot though, despite it being one of the old Epiphone SG Special models, that was really cheap budget guitars (I guess 400$ is still considered a relatively cheap guitar, but really more like in the lower mid range price class, and still double of what the old models costed).

Mine plays great, got good enough fretwork to actually make fairly low action possible (low enough to get it as how prefer it at least), and with some thorough adjustments of the cheap ceramic humbuckers, including the individual adjustable pickup poles, and a bit of EQ'ing, I actually managed to get a tone out of it that match almost perfectly to how I like it, though it only really works in the middle position.

No issue for me really though, as I really only need that one great tone, but I am sure you wouldn't have to worry about that on your new Epiphone SG Special, as it is twice the price of what my old SG Special costed me from new, and I am sure that can be heard from the pickups, among other things.

In case you don't know here's my 2012 SG Special (with some visual mods), to give you an idea of how the old Epiphone SG Special model looked:
    [​IMG]

Last edited: Feb 28, 2020
    viper007 and DrBGood like this.
  9. DrBGood

And why is that ? Problems with the pickup selector switch ?

viper007 likes this.
  10. plankton

plankton Well-Known Member

If I get one of these that Pelham Blue Special would be the one. Glad to hear the sound and quality is there. Only one place down here has them listed (pre-order) and it's $700 AUD, so in classic fashion were getting screwed a little bit. Hopefully when they become more widely available some places have them for less. Congrats on the new guitar, looks killer!

viper007 likes this.
  11. NoiseNinja

NoiseNinja Active Member

I though that my explaining on how I adjusted my pickups made that clear, but I can see how it would be easy to miss that context.

No, the reason is that in order to get the tone that I was looking for I needed to adjust the pickups so non of them sound good when soloed, in fact they sound like crap soloed, but absolutely perfect (for me at least) when combined.

Adjusting them combined, including the individual adjustable pickup pieces of both pickups, allows for much more precise fine tuning of one specific tone, than any attempt to balance the pickups or adjusting them individually would give you, but at the expense of being able to use all 3 pickup positions.

Though for me personally it doesn't matter, since all I want and need is that one great tone I managed to get out of them this way, on the contrary having had to adjust them so they had balanced perfectly would have resulted in a great compromise tone wise for me.

Buying just the right pair of quality pickups could probably have gotten me there too, and without me having to sacrifice being able to have 3 great tones at my disposal, but since I don't need that, this is just as good for me, and while maybe not having been easier, then how I did it at least is a much cheaper solution.

So I guess the simple answer ultimately is because they are crap pickups, that I had to adjust the crap out of combined to sound good.

Maybe I am just overly picky with my tone, but well, I got what I wanted, and that without having to spend a lot of money, which I don't exactly have a lot of.

Last edited: Feb 28, 2020
    viper007 and DrBGood like this.
  12. DrBGood

OK

viper007 likes this.
  13. ThinAir

ThinAir New Member

Really good point, I guess I didn't consider what a meaningful difference in tone there is with the pickup placed further away from the bridge. Well, I've already ordered the Lollar, I'll see what that does, but I think I'll wind up having to play around with the pot and capacitor values to get it closer to where I want it.

viper007 likes this.
  14. musicman2242

musicman2242 Active Member

I've never been a fan of pelham blue, but that guitar is gorgeous!

viper007 likes this.
  15. richey88

richey88 Member

Just got one and am loving it. Frets okay on yours? Red small.jpg

16. viper007

viper007 Active Member

Yes, really comfy and good!!!

musicman2242 likes this.
  17. richey88

richey88 Member

Yup found one spot wayyy down by the last fret where we fret out. Gave it a thorough going over last night. Loving this!

musicman2242 likes this.
  18. Von Trapp

Von Trapp Active Member

That's the weirdest **** I've ever heard but at the same time awesome that you got what you wanted.

richey88 and NoiseNinja like this.
  19. Logan

Logan Well-Known Member

Beautiful SG Special. The new Epis are phenomenal guitars, and you made a great choice there.

Last edited: Mar 10, 2020
    viper007 and richey88 like this.
  20. viper007

viper007 Active Member

Thanks! I'm happy as a child at christmas eve :smile: