NGD Vintage VS6

Discussion in 'SG Copies' started by Jono-1uk, Apr 14, 2019.

1. Jono-1uk

Jono-1uk New Member

Hi All

Just got my first SG ..a used Cherry VS6 with gold hardware
    the tone post for the front pickup doesn't appear to alter anything.
    Anyone else find that?
    i have tried another one one a few weeks ago which seemed to be the same..

Jon

fos1 likes this.
  2. fos1

fos1 Member

I have a VS6. It is a late 2018 model. The tone pots work as expected. I am very please with it. I have considered changing the pickups but they work well and I can modify the sound readily with my Katana amp.

3. Jono-1uk

Jono-1uk New Member

my serial number is 104081344 ..any clues as to what year mine is please?

4. fos1

fos1 Member

Mine is from late 2018. Its serial number is: M201706377

I have no idea what their serial number sequence is. There is a Vintage US facebook group that may be able to give some idea.

Jeff

5. plankton

plankton Well-Known Member

Those Vintage guitars look great. I thought about getting one but the markup imposed by the Australian distributor is too much. On a straight conversion they should be about $500 AUD but the places selling them here are asking $800 AUD. :shock:

Have you looked inside the control cavity? Maybe the previous owner disconnected the pot for some reason.

6. fos1

fos1 Member

I have two, a V6 Strat clone and a VS6 SG clone. The fit and finish are excellent and they play well. The luthier at the local shop thinks highly of them and set them up to my preference upon purchase. I paid a little over $400 for each. They are a very good buy at that price.

Jeff

7. jml77

jml77 New Member

I have a old VS6, before the wilkinson branding, bought it S/H a few years ago. No serial number, unknown pickups, metal keystone/tulip tuners, 16mm pots which are a little crackly, but it is just perfect, plays really well.
    My son came back from the US a few months ago, and he loves it, and he's a devout tele player.

OP, Can't think why one tone pot won't work. must be a wiring issue somewhere. The pots on mine are low cost, so if this is similar across the range then a full upgrade might help. At least re-doing all the wiring should eliminate any problems (except for newly introduced ones, and that's always possible... I've got that t-shirt)

fos1 likes this.
  8. rocknrollmouse

rocknrollmouse New Member

At the risk of raising an old thread, you could post a pic of the wiring cavity.
    Without a pic; I'd check the feed into the tone pot. If the feed is the capacitor, it could be your cap is bad - but this is also a sign it's been rewired, as neither of my VS6s came like this. If the feed is a wire, does it come from the volume pot on the pickup lug or switch lug? Taking the tone feed from the switch lug (more 50s style) is said by many to make the tone more responsive.

fos1 likes this.