NGD! White 2008 SG (with some added features)

Discussion in 'Epiphone SG' started by Kabrijj, Feb 20, 2017.

1. Kabrijj

Kabrijj Well-Known Member

The other day, I decided I'd try out the app Offer Up to sell some guitars. And, as luck would have it, instead FOUND a guitar to buy (who saw that coming?)

IMG_20170220_204447949_HDR.jpg

As far as I can tell (and correct me if I'm wrong), it's a 2008 G400 Limited Edition "Custom Shop" Epi. I am fully aware the label Custom Shop counts for little in the grand scheme, when it comes to Epiphones... but still: cool!

IMG_20170220_211019629_HDR.jpg

Grover tuners? Check. Fancy pants logo? Check.

IMG_20170220_211031538.jpg

Covered in dust, sweat and neglect? Check.

IMG_20170220_211036305_HDR.jpg

Dust, dirt and grime are no biggie. It'll clean up real nice.

Cosmetically: Some normal light finish scratches from use, there's a minor ding on the headstock, and a small chip on the backside near the output jack.

This guitar also comes with a fairly substantial neck repair! Allegedly it was professionally done by a luthier here in town.

IMG_20170220_211012776_HDR.jpg

It's absolutely ugly as sin... but ya know what? It feels great. It does appear to have been very well done (er, structurally at least). I may decide to do some sanding on the back of the neck to see if I can't make it a little less glaring... go down to bare wood, and apply some tung oil.

But cosmetics aside, this neck is surprising. I think they (either the seller or repair guy) took some steel wool or fine sandpaper to it, so it's not super glossy & sticky. The profile is superb! Kinda reminds me of the Gibby 61RI's neck: flat, wide, and it joins the body at the 22nd fret.

The truss rod works, and the neck is pretty straight, so from a playability aspect we're (almost) good to go. The A and D strings need a bit of shimming at the nut (the slots are cut too deep, and there's some gnarly buzz on the open A string). Little bit o' superglue and baking soda will be a quick fix, but get the job done.

Also gonna have to (want to) find a new tone knob for the neck pickup: it's cracked, and missing the silver top label.

IMG_20170220_211006652_HDR.jpg

Black Schaller strap locks are a nifty bonus.

But here's the real kicker(s), and the reason I bought the guitar...

IMG_20170220_211052150_HDR.jpg

It's got a Seymour Duncan '59 in the neck, and a Gibson Dirty Fingers in the bridge.

I honestly kinda initially bought the guitar just for the Dirty Fingers, fully intending to chop it. But I'm gonna do some setup work, give it a nice deep clean and some new strings... and this may just be a keeper. A beater & a backup perhaps, but still... if it plays and sounds good: rock n roll, right?

The best part?

It cost me $69 cash.
    :cheers:

2. WallaceWinston

WallaceWinston Active Member

Man what a steal! Wish I could find deals like that!

3. Relic61

Relic61 Well-Known Member

Rock 'n Roll fer sure bruddah!

Who gives a flyin fook what names & labels are onit? If she's got a good playable set-up & those smokin pickups are doing their thing you'll be flyin high & layin down the jams until such things take on no meaning. Then all that will matter is that you'll be playing a smokin guitar that speaks from your heart & cries from your soul.

In the end the music is all that really matters.

4. Six String

Six String Moderator Staff Member

Very cool! :dude:

5. ScottMarlowe

ScottMarlowe Well-Known Member

Great deal. You basically bought a Dirty Fingers at half off, and someone threw in a SD59 and a G-400 to go with it!

Kabrijj likes this.
  6. Scootermuppet

Scootermuppet Well-Known Member

Cool find :D always a good feeling when you bag a bargain!

7. Kabrijj

Kabrijj Well-Known Member

Quick (and unfortunately picture-free) update:

First because I can, and second because I just can't help myself, I ordered some black Grovers ($30) and a black bridge/tailpiece/etc ($12). The Grovers are installed; the hardware is on a slowboat from China. Figured it'll look even sleeker with all black trim.

I also set it up... The good news is the neck is straight and the truss rod works. The bad news is there's a few high frets, so 12 & 16 are very buzzy, almost dead. And the 21st/22nd frets are kinda mangled and dented...

So I took this opportunity to use some tools & elbow grease and teach myself how to level & crown frets. Worst case scenario, I ruin the frets but have two good pickups: figure I still got my money's worth.

But it actually turned out really well! Maybe not textbook perfect crowns, but absolutely workable. And it plays killer now: super low action with no dead frets anywhere.

So, this guitar: definitely a keeper. Best $111 I've spent in a while! :cheers:

I'll probably post another update (with pics) once the new hardware arrives.

ScottMarlowe likes this.
  8. ScottMarlowe

ScottMarlowe Well-Known Member

Bravo! I like when you get done levelling the frets then you wind up raising the strings because they're too low for comfortable playing etc. :)