NGD

Discussion in 'Other Guitars' started by Rain, Jun 22, 2019.

1. Rain

Rain Well-Known Member

Now, what could possibly this be?

[​IMG]

Stay tuned...

Biddlin likes this.
  2. DanB

DanB Active Member

I am guessing an SG of some kind, but don't want to commit to it being a Gibson, Epiphone, or even some sort of Chibson model. We are eagerly awaiting the unboxing!

3. Rain

Rain Well-Known Member

4. Rain

Rain Well-Known Member

Well, I'm afraid this one's not for me.

It's a very nice guitar but I seem to be growing increasingly certain of what I need and what I don't need. I thought this one could be one of them. There's something about it. But it just didn't feel right.

The strat I bought last week instantly felt right. As did the 2018 SG Standard. My trusty LP studio remains the angriest guitar in my arsenal - I can't see myself without it. It's magic. And my first US strat, well, there's no way I could let go of that one.

I'm starting to think I'll end up buying that SG Special with the minis, no matter what...

Sucks - I'd like at least one Tele. But with my current projects, I cannot professionally justify anything like a Tele. A humbucker at the bridge is essential.

DanB likes this.
  5. Rain

Rain Well-Known Member

The solution to that, of course, is to justify it personally. After all, why buy a tele if you're trying to make it do something other guitars were designed to do? I figured I'd try and find something a lot closer to the classic 50-60's telecaster. I came to the conclusion that the most interesting choice among the affordable options was the Baja tele.

I looked very hard to try and find a white one - and I believe they made a limited edition for a while. But for a while it looked like I'd have to be happy with the traditional blonde one. Until I stumbled upon what Fender calls Sonic Blue. Which appears to be blue-ish white, in a very retro way.

[​IMG]

I usually prefer maple fretboards but, maybe because of Jimmy Page, I think I'd like my tele with a Pau Ferro one (since rosewood is not an option). Of course, if I had the money, I'd go for the Page Mirror tele.

PixMix and DanB like this.
  6. PixMix

PixMix Active Member

That's a cool looking tele. I like '72 style ones too, but then again, short of few pointy models, I like most guitars.

7. papagayo

papagayo Well-Known Member

Very nice Tele but the Strato Headstock is bot for me ...

I love the Made in Japan Richie Kotzen

1 DiMarzio Twang King and 1 DiMarzio Chopper T :cheers:

[​IMG]

Satellitedog, fos1 and Rain like this.
  8. Biddlin

Biddlin Well-Known Member

I have bought 5 perfectly fine Teles over the last 45 years, but never kept one longer than it took me to find someone who wanted to trade something for it. I just don't do Teles.

koaguilds likes this.
  9. Rain

Rain Well-Known Member

That is a beauty, my friend. I was a bit perplexed to see the price tag when I looked it up, since instruments made overseas tend to be cheaper (as far as I know anyway). But looking at the specs and the presentation by Kotzen, I totally get it. Amazing guitar.

10. Col Mustard

Col Mustard Well-Known Member

It probably just needs to be set up. *shrugs
    I wrestled with my Telecaster for quite a while, wanting
    to like it more than I did. Finally I decided to get it
    professionally set up, instead of kidding myself that I
    could do it (and then not being comfortable with the guitar...).

I figured that if I got it set up, I'd either like it more
    or the setup job would make it easier to sell.
    But after pro setup, it was like night and day.
    So I still have mine. *grins

fos1 likes this.
  11. Rain

Rain Well-Known Member

I get what you mean and I probably didn't pick the right way to express it - English still is a second language.

The set-up was actually pretty much spot on - out of the box, it was better than the vast majority of the guitars I've ever bought, including my 3 Gibsons. I hear that a lot about MIM Fender guitars. My strat was perfect.

What didn't feel right wasn't the setup so much as... I don't know, I didn't feel that guitar belonged in my collection, I didn't NEED it. I really feel like I was expecting too many things from a guitar instead of taking it for what it was.

I wanted a guitar I could play huge metal guitar tracks with and still get a bit of Tele twang at no extra cost. That guitar is its own thing, it has its own unique qualities, so it's my approach that was warped. And I just didn't have the time or energy to figure out what I could do with it, to explore its unique capabilities.

I should specify that I am a man of few guitars. I don't like to see instruments gathering dust - maybe because I didn't have much when I grew up. Some people will over compensate - I tend to remain on the other extreme.

And I rarely look for very unique instruments - I stick with very basic classics and work my way from there. The only "special" guitar I have on my radar is a Jackson Randy Rhoads type of guitar - because Rhoads is the reason I play electric guitar. And because with my bad shoulder, I tend to prefer to play in the "classical" position so that my right shoulder is in a more natural position - V-type guitars make that easy.

Right now, my playing time is split between my SG Standard, my LP Studio (aka the world's angriest guitar) and my new strat. My old US strat is something I could never sell, even f I don't play it much. Ad I have my SGJ, which I like to play unplugged when I watch tv, but I'm not sure I'll hold on to it, as much as I like it.

In the last months, I've sold my Epiphone Riviera, my awesome Epiphone Les Paul Standard, I have a traditional for sale, and I even sold my bass to the bass player in my band.

At the moment, I don't see myself owning much more than one or two more guitars, including that elusive tele.

Last edited: Jun 29, 2019
  12. Steve D

Steve D Well-Known Member

I never played a telecaster but I was a strat player for years and that biased me on the tele. I look at them and think "it's just a strat without the middle pickup, why would I need that if I already have a strat?" I know that so many great artists play them and they don't sound like a strat without a middle pickup. But still, the mental block is there. Probably for the best, it keeps me from lusting after one.

I like your approach because I have a set number of guitars I can really fit into my home for the time being. So I have to be a bit selective. Sometimes that means being ruthless which is why my beloved Strat is now owned by someone else. But holding onto a guitar that doesn't grab me would mean I couldn't buy something that did grab me. And that doesn't make sense. So go find that tele you are looking for, the one that really does click with you. Settle for nothing less.

Rain likes this.