Nice looking '61 + maestro for 2019

Discussion in 'Gibson SG' started by SG standard, Jan 18, 2019.

1. cerebral gasket

cerebral gasket Well-Known Member

Bingo!
    Since there exist three distinct eras of the SG Standard, maybe they should have named them as such before everything got convoluted.

SG Standard 61 RI (small guard)
    SG Standard 66 RI (large guard)
    SG Standard 70's RI (small block inlays)

I have never understood dropping the "Standard" designation from the SG '61 Reissue model name as it is still technically an SG Standard because of the bound neck with trapezoids and crown inlay on headstock.

Ray and pancake81 like this.
  2. PermissionToLand

PermissionToLand Well-Known Member

Nope, they were the same size, wider than the current standard's headstock, but thinner and less pointy than the '61 RI headstock.

Here's a real '61 and a RI:
    [​IMG] [​IMG]

By '69, it actually got narrower like the current Standard:
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

3. PermissionToLand

PermissionToLand Well-Known Member

4. pancake81

pancake81 Well-Known Member

5. Gahr

Gahr Well-Known Member

The 2019 models are pretty damn sweet. It seems there will be an SG Junior as well (like in 2018). An there will be a proper Les Paul Junior (like in 2018), a Les Paul Special, a P90 equipped Les Paul Standard in addition to a late 50s style and a 1960 style Les Paul. Really a nice return to the real roots of Gibson.

cerebral gasket, pancake81 and Dallaz like this.
  6. Gibbo SG

Gibbo SG Active Member

They wagoned the authentic peghead from the Gibson USA division. You can still get a current model SG Standard 1961 Reissue, albeit through Gibson Custom, and it is a damn nice guitar, and it IS a 1961 Reissue, I mean to a tee.
    Here's what I'd like to know, what is it about the Gibson USA '61 Reissue SG that references 1961 and not some other year of Gibson SG Standard production?

7. pancake81

pancake81 Well-Known Member

Also, it appears other than the standard, the SG’s come with a hard shell case again. Including the Jr.

Kind of odd that the Jr comes with a OHSC and the standard doesn’t. It seems the Jr. is no longer regarded as the basic entry level guitar anymore, and it’s put on some high up pedestal.

I mean, it’s an awesome axe and all. But let’skeep things in perspective. Also appears they did the regular Gibson headstock logo for 2019 on the Jr as well

PermissionToLand likes this.
  8. SG standard

SG standard Well-Known Member

I'm liking the grain on this one:
    [​IMG]

But prefer the vibrato on this one:
    [​IMG]

9. cerebral gasket

I handled a 2019 Standard Tribute in person today. It's actually an SG Special Faded with crown inlay silkscreened on the headstock.

The feel of the fat rounded satin finish maple neck was amazing. What's even more amazing is that I had the restraint to keep the GAS under control and not purchase it.

Last edited: Jan 21, 2019
    PermissionToLand likes this.
  10. cerebral gasket

One feature is the location of the crown inlay. I did a quick search looking at photos of headstocks for each year and compiled a list below.

The location of the crown inlay on the 2019 SG Standard 61 is not consistent with the historical location of a 1961 SG Standard.

[​IMG]

11. papagayo

papagayo Well-Known Member

Yes, crown inlay position, tuners, trussrod cover, pickup rings, pickguard, knobs, ..... are not historical correct but this new SG is not a custom shop.

Sideway vibrola, Vibrola or stopbar my favorite is :

Image temp 5291.jpg

12. Psychic Beginner

Psychic Beginner New Member

Hey! First time poster here. I've wanted an SG with a Maestro Vibrola for a long time and had seen a few second hand models, but noticed that these are on the way! As a bit of a newcomer to Gibsons, when would you expect a "new range" to launch through the year? I'm thinking of hanging on until these are available (in the UK!) instead of pulling the trigger on some similar second hand models.

Thanks! :)

13. ChrisM84

ChrisM84 Member

End of April/May