No more EVM 12L or JBL E-120 high end guitar speakers. Why?

Discussion in 'Amps & Cabs' started by MisterSG, May 1, 2005.

1. MisterSG

MisterSG Member

For over 20 years, EV's have been my favorite guitar speaker. Although I know that everyone has their own preferences, I think the EVM 12L is the best guitar speaker ever made. No other guitar speaker is as crisp and articulate with highs--it DOES NOT break up like others do (I know some people like that) so high harmonic squeals and playing fast high on the neck results in clean, articulate notes - with or without distortion. And the bottom is BIG and tight sounding. With its large voice coil, cast aluminum basket and 19 pound magnet - the EVM 12L is the preferred choice of many a guitarist. They were the ultimate high end option for Mesa Boogie. Unfortunately, EV has discontinued the EVM 12L and as far as I know, is not making ANY guitar speakers. I understand that the JBL E-120 has also been discontinued. Is either EV or JBL making guitar speakers anymore and if not, why not? Anybody got the scoop?

2. CharlieB

CharlieB Active Member

Simple economics. The EV and JBL D-120/E-120/K-120 were all GREAT speakers, and made when EV and JBL had a decent percentage of business with making high end guitar speakers.

Now their business has grown so vastly, that guitar amp speakers are a drop in the bucket to them. Sad but true. Its been rumored that JBL is going to come out with both orange and grey frame D-120's as a reissue - expect about $500-$600 each at list. Thats been going around for a few years though, so don't hold your breath.

You can find used D-120s and EVs on the bay. And you can have them reconed to new spec. The cones are still available as factory parts all over the place.

Another speaker is the EV-Force 12. Which was the "economy EV/M". I've got two of these sitting here for a Twin Reverb.

My favorite is the D-120, huge bottom, and smoother highs, less midrange kick than the EV/M. Certainly the ultimate jazz speaker. But, to each his own...

3. MisterSG

MisterSG Member

I thought perhaps it was something like that. Sux. http://www.usspeaker.com/homepage.htm suggets that the EMINENCE DeltaPro12 makes a good substitute for the EVM 12L and the EMINENCE LEGEND M12 subs for the JBL E120---AND that there is a "Beyma version" of the JBL "coming soon" "reserve your now!" I'm not that familiar with "Beyma"... Have I been living in a cave or are they a lesser known brand?

I'm a little skeptical...

http://www.usspeaker.com/DELTAPRO12-1.htm
    http://www.usspeaker.com/JBL e120-1.htm

I will probably just snag an EVM off of eBay to add to the one I've had for 15 years. I also have a EV SRO that sounds great also. I used to have a JBL D120--They are my second fave speaker...

4. paradox

paradox Active Member

Thanks for the link MisterSG, looks like some good deals on that site. What are U using to need a 300 to 400watt speaker? Or do these just allow zero speaker breakup with a totally cranked 100W amp?

5. MisterSG

MisterSG Member

About 25 years ago, I had a Fender head--I can't remember for sure which one--Bandmaster or something... It was silver faced and I only had it briefly. But what I DO remember is I got my first taste of a high end speaker. It came with a home made 1-12 cab loaded with a JBL D120--and man, did that thing wail. It was so superior to the stock speakers that I had used before that I decided to check out other high end speakers. The EVm and JBL d120 speakers have 20 pound mags! I then bought a Vibrolux and loaded it with two EV Force 10's... WAILED!!! I bought a Peavey 112 tube amp--can't remember the model but it wasn't the Bandit, it was some other all tube amp that I never really saw around much--but I loaded it with an EVM 12L. I still have that speaker even though I only used the Peavey briefly before I switched back to Fender when I bought one of the first Blues Deluxe amps in about '93. Changing out the eminence and putting in the EVM totally upgraded that amp. I just can't imagine using a rinky dinky stock speaker ever again since using JBLs and EVs. They have a tight, clear as a bell ring to them--I just love them. It's really not that I NEED a 200 watt speaker, but I can tell you, that you can crank the crap out of those speakers and keep using them for years--change then into other amps you get as time goes by--and they will never blow. At least not in a 1-12 45 watt or even a 125 watt amp. I've had the EV that I have now for about 15 years--maybe it's been a little longer, and it sounds as good as it did when it was new. Crisp, tight, brilliant, BIG BOTTOM and is will last another 20 years, no problem. I just posted a question regarding the Mesa Boogie Road King head, since I'd like to snag another EVM and have a pair to use with it. BTW, I also have an EV SRO that WAILS also--it's pretty old--not sure how old it is. Late 60's early 70's???

6. MisterSG

MisterSG Member

NEWS FLASH!!

After I emailed EV about how I thought they were crazy for discontinuing the EVM 12L, I received this reply which reads as follows:

"Crazy? Probably... We did discontinue that speaker a few years ago. BUT!!! We have it up for reissue right now with an exciting endorsement from a very famous user. Keep your eyes open as you'll see it reappear very soon. I'm a guitarist as well and trust me, it's about time we got that speaker back in the line. Best Regards, -Jim Lupino Telex Pro Audio Group"

That's great news... I just hope it's not going to cost $500.00 or something...

7. paradox

paradox Active Member

I remembering way back when (er ahem...), in the first band I was in the other guitarist had this 1x12 peavey all tube amp. Now that I think about it, he had some kinda major sized magnet JBL in it. I think that little peavey was somewhere in the 60w to 100w range. With that one speaker he could hold up against a 4x12 fender cab I had at the time. No we weren't cranked to the max, but I just remember that peavey/JBL combo was one frikken loud SOB. He was a strat player and that amp sounded sweet. I don't know what model JBL that was (were talkin 77 or 78 here) but it cranked. I assume the EV's are in the same class of speaker. Cool beans if they plan on making that speaker again.

8. MisterSG

MisterSG Member

Yes---that's another thing. The JBL's and EV's are louder speakers--not sure why--but I think because of the large magnets. The JBL's and EV's are like 20 pound speakers where as a typcial stock speaker might be like 7 or 8 pounds. A celestion might be around 10 pounds or so. It might also have to do with the larger voice coils. Whatever the reason, I do know that they are a higher output speaker.

9. CharlieB

CharlieB Active Member

Its not magnets... well it is and it isn't.

One tolorance a speaker manufacturer must hold very tight is a thing called the coil gap - the space in which the voice coil rides. Tight gaps, leaving only a very small room for error make for an efficient speaker. Its rather a hard thing to do in production. Celestion does it. They get high efficiency with small magnets. JBL did it. EV did it. Jensen never dreamed of it. Neither did Utah, Oxford, Fane, etc etc

Its not that inefficient speakers sound bad, they just have less volume. Also contributing are... the size/type/winding of the coil, the surround and spider, cone flex, dust cover, etc etc.... as well as the type and size of magnet.

The magnetic "circuit" is also a big contributing factor. That is, just how the magnet, and related transfer of the magnetic field interacts with the layout of the speaker... the coil.

By far, the loudest "guitar" speakers are the Celestions. JBL's were also plenty loud, as were EVs.

10. 68GibsonSG

68GibsonSG Member

i hate break up to, thats why i love the solid-state amplifier (espesially ones with horns in them), avalible at your local music shop folks :wink: :oops:

sorry, that was dumb :oops: but its the truth

11. Tony M

Tony M Well-Known Member

I have 4 EV SRO12's all original/never reconed...............
    Used to use 'em in a pair of 2 X 12 cabs with a DR 103.
    It sounded very good but got to be too much to lug around.
    DR 103 is gone (ouch!).
    Cabs are also gone.
    But......
    I still have those 4 speakers sitting idle, waiting patiently.
    Their time will come again, if not with me, with someone else.

12. skidshark

skidshark Active Member

tony- the site auction is now up and running, why not give it a try? up there in the top left of the page!