NPD: Basic Audio spooky tooth

Discussion in 'Effects' started by Semla, Jul 30, 2018.

1. Semla

Semla Member

Just bought a second hand Basic audio spooky tooth fuzz. It is quite a special mild and dynamic fuzz. The texture knob goes from gnarly dark and raspy to singing synth-like leads. It is however very dynamic and I can actually take quite complex chords without complete disharmony. Very interesting. The saturation knob mainly effects the sustain of the note. With it turned down it almost acts like an overdrive pedal. Very happy now, I can get raspy chords and riffing and leads that don’t sound like a synthesizer at the same time. Seems to like cleaner amplifiers best.

Attached Files:

2. plankton

plankton Well-Known Member

I really like what I've seen from him, although I haven't had the opportunity to try any of his stuff. Awhile back I was interested in a Scarab Deluxe but it was just too expensive to source down here. You've gotta respect a company that offers a dozen or more fuzz pedals in their lineup. Congrats on the new pedal.

3. Semla

Semla Member

Yeah Basic audio makes some really good fuzz pedals, hard to choose from. Either this one or the scarab deluxe, or maybe the custom “the messenger” pedal for that Mike Farner-sound. I live in Sweden and I got it used for around 2/3 of the price of a brand new one... but that does not take in to account the shipping, tax and import fees. I read that the band Uncle acid and the deadbeats use this pedal, and they are one of my favourite bands so I just had to take a chance. Glad I did!

4. Bob Womack

Bob Womack Active Member

Is the pedal an attempt to reproduce one of the sounds of one of the band Spooky Tooth's guitarists?

Bob

5. Semla

Semla Member

I'm inclined to believe that. "The messenger" fuzz is based Mike Farners fuzz, The Foxy Lady fuzz is based on Hendrix' fuzz.