NPD: Boss DS-1 Distortion

Discussion in 'Effects' started by Clifdawg, Apr 4, 2019.

1. Clifdawg

Clifdawg Well-Known Member

Confession: I've never owned, nor played, a Boss DS-1.

That changes today.

Pics coming, but, uh, you know what it looks like. Really, the main reason I bought it was to achieve a more smooth, balanced distortion for lead lines than the gritty crunch the Marshall's red channel provides. The OCD is an awesome low-gain drive, but it definitely has that soft-clipped, mid-boosted thing going on. The DS-1 is harder clipped, and has a scooped character. Together, the two mix really, really for a heavily saturated, but not necessarily heavy, tone. Fun times ahead. :thumb:

2. Clifdawg

Clifdawg Well-Known Member

3. plankton

plankton Well-Known Member

A classic, although I've never owned one either. Back in the 80's I had a whole board of Boss stuff, including the Heavy Metal which is apparently a sought after item now.

These days my only Boss pedal is a DM-2W, a ripper little analog delay. I actually don't own any distortion or overdrive pedals, preferring to get that from the amp. For pedals I favour boosts to push amps harder and fuzzes for the square wave thing.

Glad you're enjoying your new purchase!