NSGCD: Tokai SG 92 Snow White

Discussion in 'SG Copies' started by Satellitedog, Mar 2, 2018.

1. Satellitedog

Satellitedog Active Member

Hello folks!

Things have become a bit weird... You probably remember my Greco SG modification thread.
    The luthier has all but disappeared (he's there, but I haven't been able to get an answer from him for months now) and I've been busy working, and didn't really want to go after him, since I do think he will either finish the job eventually, or give me back the guitar as is.

This realization prompted me to look for another Japanese SG, or even a '61 RI, and after a long search and a couple of good contenders getting away, I came across a music store in Finnland, inside the EU (no CITES issues to worry about) who carry Tokai's MIJ line of guitars, and who had a brand new, Snow White SG 92 in stock. I've tried a Cherry Red one of the same model locally, and while it was a bit heavy, I fell in love with the build quality, shapes and neck.

Luckily the white one weighs a lot less than the one I tried before, and it sounds and plays great. It is not too light, but feels right for an SG, is very resonant and is a beauty to behold.

I bought it after the realization of wanting to let go of the search, and pay a much higher price for the thing I actually want, and won't feel the urge to mod right away.

Photos will be coming soon, I'm in a super busy stretch at work, will try to click some pics on Sunday.

2. plankton

plankton Well-Known Member

Nice! Tokais are great guitars, love my MIC Love Rock Special.

Someday I'd like to own one of their MIJ SGs.

Satellitedog likes this.
  3. Satellitedog

Mine was way too expensive, but I didn't want to wait for another one, but you can find one cheaper than a used '61 RI. I suggest trying one to feel the quality. If it were not the cold-chisel horn type, it would be just as desirable as a Gibson VOS reissue for way less than half the price, or the third or even less, depending on the VOS.

4. PermissionToLand

PermissionToLand Well-Known Member

I've been GASing for a Tokai SG ever since I saw their lineup. Even their MIC models seem to have more attention to detail than most.

I also love that they offer Walnut as a finish. You never see that on a small PG model from Gibson, so it's pretty unique:

[​IMG]

vonserke, Satellitedog and plankton like this.
  5. Satellitedog

I've tried a MIC Tokai SG a couple of months ago, and while it was well built, the shapes are quite haphazard, and the beveling is not very impressive. Do try one of the MIJ-es.

6. Satellitedog

Sorry for the delay, haven't forgotten, but I didn't have time to play the Tokai, let alone take pictures of it. I've been going through some serious deadline stress at work, still one hurdle ahead. But afterwards I'll have time to make sense of my life again.

vonserke likes this.
  7. Satellitedog

8. Satellitedog

The most interesting thing (beyond the sense of impeccable craftsmanship) is the porcelain-like translucence of the finish. It isn't thick, but it refracts light in a very interesting way.

PermissionToLand likes this.
  9. DrBGood

DrBGood Well-Known Member

Real nice shapes on this one. I like that the lower horn bevel closely follows the pickguard. We rarely see that.
    Those aren't still made, are they ?

10. plankton

Yes they are. The Vintage and Premium series are MIJ.

http://www.tokai-guitars.nl/

Satellitedog likes this.
  11. DrBGood

And there was no lawsuit from Gibson for the headstock ?

12. Satellitedog

Yeah, I love how crisply sculpted the bevels are, makes you appreciate the original design even more (although it is the cold-chisel horn type, but still), and I really love the large-area the bevels cover. They are quite deep as well, not super deep, but satisfying nonetheless.

They are still in production, made to order for export I think, and there are some on Reverb too, located in Spain (better for US buyers). They should cost around $1150 or so new, and both mine, bought from a Finnish music-chain-store, and the local ones in Hungary have the open-book headstock, while the ones on Reverb usually have the "export" HS with the pointy middle bit, but they may also have the proper one in stock (just don't advertise it?). I can give you the link to my local vendors, who had Cherry red ones, one weighing 3,4 kg, the other 3,2 (mine is 3,1 that was one of the deciding factors, besides colour and resonance) and the heavy one which I tried, is beautiful (and I'm not a fan of ChR).

These have pretty girthy necks too. Quite substantial.

13. Satellitedog

I think neither vendor showed the headstock in promotional pics. I had to ring them up to be sure.

14. Satellitedog

Also, the gloss finish can be misleading (I looked at the Dutch store's pics) as it dulls the contours and bevels in pictures. It isn't too thick, and the lines are sharp in person.

15. DrBGood

If I remember well, they threatened to suit for less than that.

16. DrBGood

Thanks but I won't need that. I can't afford a guitar in that price range and I'm well covered in the SG department with my 04 Vintage G400.

17. PermissionToLand

PermissionToLand Well-Known Member

It depends on the laws of the country they're being sold in. Japan must not really have any trademark/copyright laws, or at least they are not enforced because exact copies are perfectly fine over there. Seems like in most European countries only the headstock matters. In fact, the headstock was the only lawsuit Gibson actually won. They just intimidate American brands out of using their bodyshapes.

18. plankton

19. Satellitedog

Well, if you're talking about a vintage G 400 (Epiphone isn't it?), you should definitely try a Vintage VS6 Reissue if you come across one. Affordable and a really SG feeling and SG sounding copy.

20. DrBGood

Mine is not the recent Vintage/Faded with veneer and scarf joint in the neck, but a 2004 like below, with a nice set of Tyson Tone PAFs in it. Everything I would want in a SG is there.

Vintage G-400 - Why Is This Guitar Shaking Up The Industry?

[​IMG]

In the early '60's Gibson came up with a radical new guitar to inject a shot of adrenaline into the Les Paul line. They named the new guitar SG which stood for Solid Guitar, which is one of the biggest inside jokes in the guitar industry....sort of like saying Angus Young and Tony Iommi are just solid guitarists!

Now Epiphone offers a faithful reproduction of the classic Gibson guitar in a vintage finished, affordable package! One run up the 22 fret neck of the Vintage G-400 and you'll be hooked! The "Worn" finish gives the instrument the look and feel of the originals and the high-output designed in the U.S.A. pickups complete the hard rockin', vintage vibe! Check it out below:

[​IMG]
    Classic styling of the 1962 Gibson SG.

[​IMG]
    Worn finish gives the instrument the look and feel of the original.

[​IMG]
    Grover, die-cast tuning machines add to the tuning stability of the instrument.

[​IMG]
    Stop-bar tail-piece and powerful designed in the USA pick-ups make this baby scream!

[​IMG]
    Volume and tone controls with a three-way pick-up selector for versatility.

[​IMG]
    Set neck construction for nearly unlimited sustain.